British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Australian Military Insignia > General Topics

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 01-04-21, 09:04 AM

Default WW1 Australian soldier

Hi all

Here is a photo of one of my paternal grandmother's brothers. The surmane is Manktelow but he could be one of at least four who served from the family. The face shape and eyes are those of Dad's mother!

The only one I know it isn't is William Manktelow who served in the Australian Medical Corps as I have another photo of him. If anyone can tell me who he is/ might be that would be great.

Without going into too much boring detail, I think that they enlisted from NSW.

My question relates to the small ribbon flashes worn on the left shoulder. What are they please?

I've had a couple of suggestions way back but would love some definitive answers.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg diggersphoto.JPG (19.2 KB, 66 views)
Old 01-04-21, 09:53 AM

Theres some discussion in this thread of ribbons worn at the shoulder:

https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/fo...Kitchener+Army

The colours of the ribbons don't appear to match the red, white and blue of an "ANZAC rosette" and that would be worn lower on the sleeve wouldn't it?

Last edited by leigh kitchen; 01-04-21 at 10:18 AM. Reason: More text.
Old 01-04-21, 10:56 PM

Hi Leigh

Thanks for that. Yes, very similar to that worn by ?????? Manktelow. There doesn't appear to be a colour difference in the photo so any use of white would presumably show up yet red/ blue might not.

It has been suggested that it was some "leave distinction" or maybe service. Do any of our Australian members have an opinion?

I think that this photo must be taken in Australia before embarkation.
Old 01-04-21, 11:15 PM

sorry
i have no idea what being worn.
there doesnt seem to be any colour patch or a clear pic if the shoulder accoutrements
bc
Old 02-04-21, 04:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dumdum View Post
Hi all

Here is a photo of one of my paternal grandmother's brothers. The surmane is Manktelow but he could be one of at least four who served from the family. The face shape and eyes are those of Dad's mother!

The only one I know it isn't is William Manktelow who served in the Australian Medical Corps as I have another photo of him. If anyone can tell me who he is/ might be that would be great.

Without going into too much boring detail, I think that they enlisted from NSW.

My question relates to the small ribbon flashes worn on the left shoulder. What are they please?

I've had a couple of suggestions way back but would love some definitive answers.
Hello Dumdum

I can't read his shoulder title but it might be AMC/AUSTRALIA with the bottom line curved down and worn as a 2-piece title.

The cloth ribbons were not uncommon, colour patches weren't issued in Australia, indeed they didn't know much about them here. If he is one of the AAMC blokes then it is quite probably chocolate, for the AAMC colour.

9th Light Horse Regt wore scarlet/yellow ribbons under their title when they left Aust, same colour as their regimental flag. You will also note men wearing strips of colour around their shoulder straps, probably representing battalion or corps colours.

Two of the Manktelow family served in Aust Army Medical Corps, William Charles was 8 Fd Amb before he transferred as a Gunner and his mother's initial was 'E'. Sydney James, father Sydney, was 14 Fd Amb.

Another (Albert) was 56th Battalion, mother Ann, he was born in England. John Robert served in the Pay Corps in Australia as an 18-year old, father also named Sydney.

Regards,
Keith

Last edited by fairlie63; 02-04-21 at 04:25 AM. Reason: Corrected details
Old 02-04-21, 11:23 PM

Hello Keith

Many thanks for all your information and your extra effort!

"E Manktelow" is "Edith" my gran's mother. They had a very "interesting" family dynamic....

My gran was rather prone to a bit of story-telling and my poor late father had some fun and games with trying to sort things out when she passed away!

This doesn't really take away anything from the contribution and sacrifice that the Manktelow men made. Albert was killed in 1917.

From what you say, the photo may be of either member who served in the AAMC and, although it has been carefully "filed", i.e. misplaced, this doesn't look like William so must be the other AAMC man.

I have found a group photo of an AAMC unit (on National Archives Australia, I think) that shows William so the search continues!
Old 22-05-21, 07:25 AM

Hi Dumdum,

Following on with what Keith said, I found the following on Trove which would suggest the 'unauthorised' coloured ribbons correspond to the colour patches of the Units to which the men were allotted -

c. October 1915:

'The order [Military Circular] further lays down that only those troops who have been officially issued with distinguishing colours abroad may wear them in Australia. The attachment of flowing ribbons to shoulder straps is strictly prohibited.'

There are quite a number similar articles at this time as well as a repeat of these orders in early 1916.

Dan

Last edited by fromelles; 23-05-21 at 12:43 AM.
Old 22-05-21, 10:39 AM

Hi Dan

Many thanks for that and to the other members who have contributed. It has more than added to what little I knew about tis topic.

Has anyone got other photos of ribbons worn like this?

The annoying thing is that I can't positively say which one of the boys this is. Even checking the files for a physical description makes it hard.