British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Royal Artillery, Royal Engineers and Royal Signals.

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 26-03-08, 11:19 PM
Banned

Default Cornwall Artillery Volunteers

Hopefully attached is an extract of a photo of a group of members of the 1st Cornwall (Duke of Cornwalls) RGA (Volunteers) taken in July 1907

As I would like to learn what each of the badges and insignia represent would any kind soul be willing to identify each of them and explain their meaning.

Please treat me as a complete novice in this area and give me even the most basic of information - even the colour of uniform !

many thanks

Richard
Attached Images
File Type: jpg cva1.jpg (44.0 KB, 77 views)
Old 27-03-08, 07:15 AM

The easiest thing might be if you can get hold of a copy of "British Army Proficiency Badges " by Edwards and Langley.
P.B.

Members welcome in my private Facebook group “The Kings Liverpool Regiment ( 1685-1958 )”
Old 27-03-08, 10:05 AM

Richard,
As this photo was taken in 1907 they were not at that time RGA as they did not convert to this title until 1908.
At the time of this photo they were designated as 1st Cornwall (Duke of Cornwall's) Artillery Volunteer Corps (Western Division, Royal Artillery) by Army Order 443, November, 1889.
If you look at their shoulder titles they would seem to bear this out.
They wore standard R.A blue tunic with black cord trimmings.
Hwyl,
Kevin
Old 01-04-08, 09:43 PM
Banned

Very many thanks 8th foot, I shall look out for a copy of the book. I have also been recommended 'Vol. Artillery 1859-1908 by Litchfield and Territorial Army 1908-88 by the same author so hopefully I should be able to make some headway by consulting these.
Richard
Old 01-04-08, 10:04 PM

Another couple of useful books would be `Military Insignia of Cornwall` by D Endean Ivall and Charles Thomas as well as a seperate publication titled as the original but prefixed with `a supplement to`. I have copies here and will have a read through them see if they are any help.
Cheers, Dave
Old 01-04-08, 10:08 PM
Banned

Kevin,

Many thanks for your response. The photograph (of which only a section was placed on this site) does have a sign which reads 1st Cornwall (DofC) RGA (Vols) 1st prize Brigade Carbine Shoot - Hayle July 9th 1907 and the picture of eight men must be the successful team. Indeed there are some men wearing the shoulder title (which appears to be woven ?) for the 1 V Cornwall Artillery.

I have a chronological history of the Cornwall Artillery which seems to show that, as you say, the unit was 1st Cornwall (D of C) Artillery Vols, Western Div RA, However it then describes further title changes as follows -

1-9-1889 1st Cornwall (D of C) Artillery Volunteers
?-11-1891 1st Cornwall (D of C) Volunteer Artillery
1-1-1902 1st Cornwall (D of C) RGA (Volunteers)

I have a few Volunteer Force Long service medals issued in 1903 and these are definately issued to this unit using the RGA title.

Again thanks for your help

Richard
Old 01-04-08, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Observer View Post

As I would like to learn what each of the badges and insignia represent would any kind soul be willing to identify each of them and explain their meaning.
Richard,
i have had read through the military insignia of cornwall books but can only find two badges positively identified and even then, they are general badges. The 5 pointed star and lozenge shaped badges on the lower sleeve are described as` Red worsted embroidery on black cloth. These are standard volunteer force badges. The 5-pointed star indicates a man returned as `eficcient` on 5 annual occasions; the lozenge, a man returned as `efficient in rifle practise drill` in the last annual return of his corps.

Hope this helps, Dave
Old 02-04-08, 10:16 PM
Banned

Dave,

Yes, thank you, the descriptions do help enormously. I am just moving into this field so its all new to me. I wish to add some insignia to an older medal collection. Hopefully I will be able to pick up some items at one of the forthcoming militaria fairs.

Richard
Old 03-04-08, 08:32 AM

hi richard
you probably already know this, and i am pretty sure i know, but,
the crown above the gun above the sgt stripes would make him a BATTERY SERGT. MAJOR
the cpl behind has a gun layers badge for field and garrison arty.
the diamond shaped badge being an EFFICIENCY BADGE WITH A STAR FOR EVERY YEAR OF EFFICIENCY
hope this is of some help
BC
Old 04-04-08, 10:52 AM

This may help or it may not.

Dark Navy blue tunics with the silver braid piping to the collar, shoulder straps and Austrian Knots, universal collar grenades in white metal, all other badges should be in silver wire or white worsted. Buttons would be white metal with a Crown over a gun.

Man sitting with the rifle; Shoulder strap should be in silver wire 1 over V over CORNWALL, Lozenge is an annual award for Efficiency with the star above awarded for the same reason (Efficiency) after a further five years later changed to four years. The star above the rank badge is the NCOs Proficiency award it must have been obtained within one year of promotion to Sergeant (Serjeant), his rank indicated by the Crown, gun and 3 chevrons and the Austrian Knott which does not have any tracing braid (doubled up) would be Battery Quartermaster Sergeant).

Man standing in the centre; has the same lozenge and star for the same reasons, the L in a wreath of Laurel leaves is the Gun Layer Qualification badge, (this was once a prize badge and worn on the lower left sleeve, it was changed to a qualification badge and moved to the upper right sleeve in 1901), rank indicated by the single chevron for this date would be Bombardier.

Man sitting on the end is a Sergeant Major Instructor of Gunnery, this is indicated by this badge of rank and appointment which is a Crown and gun over 3 chevrons with a Crown over crossed gun barrels over a grenade on the centre of the chevrons, also the doubled up braid on the Austrian Knot.

Last edited by 54Bty; 04-04-08 at 10:55 AM.
Old 05-04-08, 06:00 PM
Banned

Badgecollector,

Very many thanks for your help, I'm starting to understand the various insignia now. Its strange starting out in a new collecting area even though it's very closely related to an existing one.

Richard
Old 05-04-08, 06:07 PM
Banned

54Bty,

Thank you for your comprehensive reply that has fully explained the insignia in my photo. I shall now start searching for these items and attempt to form a small collection.

Richard
Old 11-07-08, 07:54 AM

Richard

You may find this link of interest for a bit of background on the Cornwall Artillery. http://www.lightinfantry.org.uk/regi...illeryvolu.htm

Phil