British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Other Commonwealth Military Insignia > New Zealand Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 09-08-12, 06:13 AM

Default Recent purchases

Guys,
Just a couple of recent purchases and was wondering if anyone can shed a little more light on their purpose
- a gilt NZANS badge - I have a couple in sterling silver and see that G Oldham lists them, but not in gilt... is there any significance in this or is it safe to assume that this might be a sweethearts badge? Its the same size as the listed sterling silver type.
- A NZ red cross badge - does anyone know period? Broach fitting to back tends to indicate 1910-1930's period.

Both are not maker marked in any way.

Many thanks in advance

James.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC09111.jpg (30.3 KB, 41 views)
File Type: jpg DSC09112.jpg (29.2 KB, 22 views)
Old 09-08-12, 08:41 AM

James, I have not seen a gold NZANS badge before, so I can only speculate it is post WW1 and private purchase.
As for the red cross badge, it is another one that I have not seen before, so again not much help, however IMO it does look like an early manufacture, hopefully someone else might be able to provide an answer.

The following is some info on NZANS badges that I did a while back, unfortunately the photos are no longer viewable.
http://militarianz.freeforums.org/nz...tors-t977.html
Old 10-08-12, 08:41 AM

Many thanks Brent,
a great read on the info/link you have provided and a shame that the photo's have disappeared.
Did you ever get one of the first 50 NZANS badges?
I dug out my copy of Corbett's book and he mentions that the badges did come in Gilt (page 277 of The Regimental Badges of New Zealand), but may be referring to the latter RNZANC rather than this type.

Best Regards
James.