British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Other Commonwealth Military Insignia > New Zealand Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 17-05-13, 09:08 PM

Default New Zealand Army & Air Force Divers?

Hi all, Well I've asked about British and Australian diving insignia, so must ask about New Zealand too!

Does anyone know if the New Zealand Army have any Diver qualification insignia, either for special forces or for units that are the New Zealand equivalent of the British Royal Engineers or Royal Logistics Corps? Do they have divers in any sort of unit within the New Zealand Army?

Likewise do the Royal New Zealand Air Force have any diver trained personnel similar to the USAF Para rescue personnel and if so do they have any particular diver trade insignia?

Any information or images gratefully received

Regards

Tony
Old 18-05-13, 02:25 AM

Tony, the NZ Army & Airforce divers are trained thru the NZ Navy dive school and as far as I know, they are issued the same divers qualifications as issued to their British counterparts.

Brent
Old 18-05-13, 02:45 PM

Tony
The New Zealand Army's Royal New Zealand Engineers (RNZE) have trained Divers and as stated by Brent they are trained by the Royal New Zealand Navy (RNZN).
The book ANZAC Elite written by Cliff Loard & Julian Tennant has a little information on Divers of the RNZE. It states (paraphrased) the the RNZEs do not have a combat diving team, but individuals are trained as Shallow Water Divers and with CABA equipment conduct underwater construction tasks, demolitions and well as many other services.
I do know that they are awarded a divers badges that is worn on the cuff of the left arm of the service jacket and left shoulder of the service shirt. I can't figture out how to load photos, so I'll PM you.
The RNZAF do not have any diving capacity.
As an aside, I have heard that the New Zealand Customs service have divers and they wear a similar badge to RNZN divers

Gareth
Old 18-05-13, 09:17 PM

Anzac Elite was published in 2000 and there will no doubt be some changes since it was written. I have scanned the pix here for you. When I visited the Devonport Naval Diving School (in Auckland) I was shown around by a RN Diving Instructor and he wore a US white metal diving qualification on his tie. He said no one had picked him up on that!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg d6 (2).jpg (57.2 KB, 27 views)
File Type: jpg RE.jpg (99.5 KB, 15 views)
Old 19-05-13, 01:57 PM

Default New Zealand Army & Air Force Divers?

Hi there, that's really fantastic, thanks all very much!

Regards

Tony