British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Everything Else > Civilian Services: Police, Prison Service, Fire Brigade, Merchant Navy, etc.

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 19-09-20, 07:53 AM

Default ROYAL FALKLAND ISLANDS POLICE FORCE

For those who collect Police badges (and others) Here is my latest addition:-
ROYAL FALKLAND ISLANDS POLICE FORCE
It is a large badge (Helmet? if one is worn there) 45mm wide x 80mm high, enamel & chromed metal with 2 sturdy blades for fixing. That is now a whole 2 FI police badges I have and shown here with some other Police badges, real or fictitious.
Jerry
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF0006.jpg (32.2 KB, 55 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF0004.jpg (70.5 KB, 60 views)

JERRY
ROYAL ENGINEERS/BRITISH ARMY CORPS & SERVICES/BRITISH LEGION/ROYAL BRITISH LEGION (see albums)
Old 19-09-20, 08:57 AM

A cap badge. They don't wear helmets. Considering the size of the force these badges are quite plentiful. At one time they sold them to enquirers for £5 each to boost their social fund. As well as cap badges, they sold plaques, patches and tie pins. The badge which very hard to find is that which was worn prior to the invasion. At that time the FIP consisted of a Superintendent (Chief of Police) and two Constables (one male & one female).

The problem with the present cap badge is that it has blade fittings and cold plastic coloured infill. I'm told that when worn operationally, this only stays in situ for a short time before it falls out (usually in one piece), due to the cold wet weather.

Dave.
Old 19-09-20, 10:01 AM

Dave, thanks for the information.
Jerry.

JERRY
ROYAL ENGINEERS/BRITISH ARMY CORPS & SERVICES/BRITISH LEGION/ROYAL BRITISH LEGION (see albums)
Old 19-09-20, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by altcar73 View Post
A cap badge. They don't wear helmets. Considering the size of the force these badges are quite plentiful. At one time they sold them to enquirers for £5 each to boost their social fund. As well as cap badges, they sold plaques, patches and tie pins. The badge which very hard to find is that which was worn prior to the invasion. At that time the FIP consisted of a Superintendent (Chief of Police) and two Constables (one male & one female).

The problem with the present cap badge is that it has blade fittings and cold plastic coloured infill. I'm told that when worn operationally, this only stays in situ for a short time before it falls out (usually in one piece), due to the cold wet weather.

Dave.
Dave, Could this be a pre invasion badge??
Jerry
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF0001.jpg (40.1 KB, 39 views)

JERRY
Old 19-09-20, 11:56 AM

Jerry,

See attached photo. Badge "C" is the pre. invasion pattern. Immediately following the liberation, policing was provided by the RMP and the RAFP together with the one remaining FI Police Constable, Anton Livermore. They were joined by bobbies from the UK on six month secondments. Local staff began to be appointed and badge "D" was issued. However, it was widely disliked. It was swiftly replaced by badge "E" which was made in Pakistan following the basic design of the pre invasion cap badge. The cost of having a batch of the original badge "C" made, was apparently far too high and the cost could not be justified. I think badge "E" is what you have. That badge continued to be worn until the granting of the "Royal" title and the adoption of the current cap badge. Hope this is helpful.

Dave.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg FIP Badges..jpg (79.6 KB, 57 views)

Last edited by altcar73; 19-09-20 at 12:13 PM.
Old 19-09-20, 12:44 PM

Dave, again thanks.
Jerry

JERRY
Old 19-09-20, 04:19 PM

Fantastic collection Dave, thanks for sharing.

Graham
I am looking to purchase items from the British Administration Police & Prison Services in Cyrenaica & Tripolitania; Eritrea & Ethiopia; Somalia (f. Italian Somaliland) & British Somaliland; & the Dodecanese: insignia, documents, photographs etc.
Old 19-09-20, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by engr9266 View Post
For those who collect Police badges (and others) Here is my latest addition:-
ROYAL FALKLAND ISLANDS POLICE FORCE
It is a large badge (Helmet? if one is worn there) 45mm wide x 80mm high, enamel & chromed metal with 2 sturdy blades for fixing. That is now a whole 2 FI police badges I have and shown here with some other Police badges, real or fictitious.
Jerry
Top left of the display is a shoulder strap badge of the UK Police Contingents serving under the auspices of the Foreign and Commonwealth Office with UN and other alphabet organisations.
It was introduced sometime between 2000 and 2003, I don't know if it was or is used as a cap or beret badge in some Missions.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg post-2272-126148236755.jpg (66.9 KB, 25 views)