British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Anodised Aluminium Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 11-08-09, 08:07 PM

Default Anodised HLI - The Glasgow Highlanders Investigation

Hi Guys,

More on the obverse detail of Scottish badges.

I'm labouring the point a bit but I think that it is important that collectors actually know what they are getting in relation to 'mirror reverse' Scottish badges.

My theory is that they are not all reproductions (although I believe most are) but that they are MODERN. Check out the KOSB thread for a modern but officially issued badge with a lot of reverse detail here:

http://www.britishbadgeforum.com/for...ead.php?t=7143

OK, so by looking at the two badges in the photo what can you see?

Well, the one on the right has a superior finish but look closely. Do they seem to be the same with the exception that the one on the right has softer detail?

I've looked at these badges for a long time with various degrees of magnification and scanner DPI images and am convinced that they came from the same obverse die with the only exception of the softer detail on the right hand badge as previously discussed.

Why are the details of the right hand badge softer?

More to come...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Glasgow Highlanders Pair Obverse.jpg (68.6 KB, 44 views)

Last edited by hagwalther; 11-08-09 at 08:29 PM.
Old 11-08-09, 08:28 PM

If we check out the work done by Dietrich Maerz in his book The Knights Cross of the Iron Cross we will know that over time dies wear out and can even break. Also, the detailing of these dies gets softer and softer as the edges of the dies wear away and this has happened here. The right hand badge was made after the left hand badge with its corresponding softer details and as such we can establish (albeit) a basic timeline of the order in which these two badges were made.

Turning the badges over what do you see?

Well, the left hand badge is quite 'full' while the right hand badge has quite a bit of detail.

Therefore the early badge appears to have a less detailed reverse while the later one is highly detailed.

Why is this?

Lets look at some of the measurements of these badges. To do this you need accurate digital calipers and weighing scales. For weighing I use scales with a range of 110g to 0.05g which also double up for weighing ammunition components.

By measuring the shear marks on the edge of the badges we can deduce the thickness of the aluminium sheet used.

For the badge on the left the sheet thickness is around 0.080" while the one on the right around 0.070".

The one on the left weighs 14.40 grams and the one on the right 12.20 grams.

OK, so the early badge is made of more aluminium but why did the maker (looking at the lugs of both I'd say Firmin or possibly Smith & Wright) change the thickness of the aluminium sheet and when did this occur?

Was it more cost effective to save on aluminium against cutting a new reverse or punch die?

Why did a new reverse die have to be cut?

I've got some possible answers to all this to come out later but in the mean time, consider the fact that early Scottish badges are made of thicker aluminium with little reverse detail while more modern badges are made of thinner aluminium with a lot of reverse detail.

Which do you want in your collection?

When did the unit of that badge in your collection complete active service?

Things to ponder on guys...

Regards

Chris
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Glasgow Highlanders Pair Reverse.jpg (75.8 KB, 41 views)