British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Anodised Aluminium Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

View Poll Results: Would you prefer to purchase 'Anodised Aluminium' as a ...
Hardcover Book With Matching Slip Case 17 40.48%
Hardcover Book Only 25 59.52%
Voters: 42. You may not vote on this poll

Old 15-07-11, 12:12 AM

Default Anodised Aluminium: The 'No Bull' Cap Badge of the British Army

Hi Guys,

This project is starting to come to an end although I am still missing around 20-25 badges to photograph. Getting hold of the owners is difficult due to their other ongoing commitments but I hope to get these in the near future.

I am starting to get quotes for the book but would like to explain a bit about what hopefully you are all going to buy and possibly what you would like as possible addition.

As things stand at the moment the book will be in Letter Size which is 11 x 8.5 inches or 215.9 x 279.4mm. This is in standard with a great many collector grade publications on German combat awards that have come out in the last few years.

It will be in hardback with 650 odd pages. Of these there will be approx. 220 of written text including colour photos. There will also be approx. 200 pages of colour images of all the known A/A badges that were both officially authorised for issue and also manufactured. As I have said, I am hoping to get images of all of these items which including Royal Marine items, CCF and Schools currently makes up a total 336 pieces - there, the secret is out of the bag.

This segment of the book will cover 21 chapters with much of it heavily referenced back to official documentation. There is also my research into areas such as Scottish Badges and the changes of the thickness of aluminium sheet over time and also my research into Fakes and Reproductions which also covers the manufacturing process of badges per se. A few German badge collectors that I know have stated that they will buy the book on the basis of this chapter alone.

There will also be approx. 210 pages of appendices of facts derived from official documentation. Much of this has probably only be read by myself and possibly one or two others so there should be plenty of new information for all and I think a good deal of this section will also be of interest to pre A/A badge collectors too.

Cost is yet to be finalised re: quotes from worldwide printers. Unfortunately with the GBP, Euro and $US dropping like a stone compared to Australian and New Zealand currencies the price will be expensive for those in the northern hemisphere.

However, I hope to get it out delivered to anywhere in the world for under 100 GBP. This will cause a lot of collectors to '...splutter into their Horlicks...' as I was informed but compared to collectors books in the German combat badge arena this is will under their cost and a comparative bargain.

I may also put the book out in a box cover. This will of course cost to a further 10-15 pounds but it does mean the book will be well protected for life.

Hence the reason for this poll.

Any questions please post or contact me on my Gmail email address.

I am hoping to get parts of chapters, images and appendices out at the War & Peace show in Kent for interested parties to view.

Regards

Chris
Old 15-07-11, 06:43 AM
Mr. Jackanory

Chris,
I look forward to the publication of this tome and my subsequent purchase of it. I am glad that I have been able to help even though it has been in the tiniest way.
Yours
Matti
Old 15-07-11, 07:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by matti467 View Post
Chris,
I look forward to the publication of this tome and my subsequent purchase of it. I am glad that I have been able to help even though it has been in the tiniest way.
Yours
Matti
Thanks Matti.

You and quite a few other guys on the forum here are noted in Acknowledgments and also in references in the chapters - all interesting stuff.

I've been checking the paper to use on book like this and I think I will be going with 85# 128 gms weight, China Gold East art grade in gloss which is a quality product and needed for high page count books. This will make the thickness of the paper used to be 1.625 inches. Add the cover and this will take the book up to around 2 inches or approx. 5 cms thick.

Regards

Chris

Last edited by hagwalther; 15-07-11 at 07:23 AM.
Old 15-07-11, 08:27 AM
LYPAO Boff

When is the publication date Chris?

"A Yeoman from the Stalwart Rural Cavalry"
Lechyd da pob Cymro
Old 15-07-11, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GriffMJ View Post
When is the publication date Chris?
Dunno yet Griff as I still need some badges to photograph but this is in hand.

When I can get this part done and have the text finally proof read for grammar etc. (again in hand) I will generate the PDF files from InDesign CS5 and send them off to the printer after checking their quotes to print. Lag print time and delivery is about 2 months and this includes checking spec copies before a full print run.

I do hope to get the book out before Christmas.

Regards

Chris
Old 16-07-11, 10:58 AM

Hi Guys,

I've been getting a few PM's and emails re: reserving copies. No point yet as books are not yet printed.

However, my marketing and advertising strategy will initially be quite simple and after a word with Mike he has kindly allowed me to sell directly to members here via the Classified forum. Therefore my initial marketing strategy will be:

1) Offer to members on the forum first. When orders from the membership start to slow down...

2) Sell on eBay.

This means that members here will get first opportunity to buy before the book is opened up to Joe Public via the Inter Web...

Note that this is a self published book and will not be available in shops or other retail outlets.

Regards

Chris
Old 18-07-11, 06:12 AM

A book two inches thick? No wonder you are starting sales off at the War & Peace show, Chris!

Look fwd very much to seeing a copy and expect it shd really stir up the AA collectors' world.

Good luck with the final stages of completion and hope you can get the final 20-25 badges for photographs.

There are a total of 336 AA badges huh? Right, time to get counting and am sure this number alone will cause consternation and disagreement. Good!

All the best.
Old 18-07-11, 06:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by William View Post
A book two inches thick? No wonder you are starting sales off at the War & Peace show, Chris!

Look fwd very much to seeing a copy and expect it shd really stir up the AA collectors' world.

Good luck with the final stages of completion and hope you can get the final 20-25 badges for photographs.

There are a total of 336 AA badges huh? Right, time to get counting and am sure this number alone will cause consternation and disagreement. Good!

All the best.
Hi William,

A couple of the badges are Royal Marine Crown and Lion devices used to 'mix and match' the Globe and Laurel.

I have official documentation for all these items except the CCF and School badges (which are a bit of a law unto their own).

There is also a Non Authorised Badge appendix which currently has 23 entries. These badges look the real thing but I have yet to find any official doco on them.

Regards

Chris
Old 18-07-11, 09:13 AM

In WILLIAM'S post he quotes "There are a total of 336 AA badges huh? Right, time to get counting and am sure this number alone will cause consternation and disagreement. Good!"
Yet in "COLLECTING ANODISED CAP BADGES" by Peter TAYLOR he has 406 a/a badges plus there is all the varations i.e. void, non void, gold, silver coloured, both colour, painted etc.
Do we inclued the different makers as seperate badges?
DOWLER BIRMINGHAM
WM.DOWLER
FIRMIN
FIRMIN LONDON
JR GAUNT LONDON
JR GAUNT BIRMINGHAM
JR GAUNT & SONS
LONDON BADGE & BUTTON Co
MARPLES & BEASLEY
SMITH & WRIGHT
SHAW MUNSTER
TOYE,KENNING & SPENCER
TKS
T & S(Turner & Simpson brass slider)
DANBURY MINT (Thanks to grey_green_acorn)
NO MAKER(several a/a with NO maker name)
I have about 16 different marks in which I have "no maker mark & Danbury Mint"
So is there an actual TOTAL number of a/a badges? Can we make a guesstimate at total?

JERRY
ROYAL ENGINEERS/BRITISH ARMY CORPS & SERVICES/BRITISH LEGION/ROYAL BRITISH LEGION (see albums)

Last edited by engr9266; 18-07-11 at 09:24 AM.
Old 18-07-11, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by engr9266 View Post
In WILLIAM'S post he quotes "There are a total of 336 AA badges huh? Right, time to get counting and am sure this number alone will cause consternation and disagreement. Good!"
Yet in "COLLECTING ANODISED CAP BADGES" by Peter TAYLOR he has 406 a/a badges plus there is all the varations i.e. void, non void, gold, silver coloured, both colour, painted etc.
Do we inclued the different makers as seperate badges?
DOWLER BIRMINGHAM
WM.DOWLER
FIRMIN
FIRMIN LONDON
JR GAUNT LONDON
JR GAUNT BIRMINGHAM
JR GAUNT & SONS
LONDON BADGE & BUTTON Co
MARPLES & BEASLEY
SMITH & WRIGHT
SHAW MUNSTER
TOYE,KENNING & SPENCER
TKS
T & S(Turner & Simpson brass slider)
DANBURY MINT (Thanks to grey_green_acorn)
NO MAKER(several a/a with NO maker name)
I have about 16 different marks in which I have "no maker mark & Danbury Mint"
So is there an actual TOTAL number of a/a badges? Can we make a guesstimate at total?
Hi Jerry,

The figures that I have come up with are based on two aspects:

a) That the badge at unit level is mentioned in official documentation - the exception here are the CCF/Schools badges.

b) That it also exists as a physical item bearing all the characteristics of the manufacturing company (being one of the War Office/MoD official contractors - 14 to date so far) that made it.

With regards to the points raised.

1) Many different companies made the same unit badge but the count remains as 1.

2) Unvoided badges for the main are unfinished items that did not go through a stage of manufacture called Piercing. This involved the use of other cutting tools that had to be made as well as the obverse and reverse dies to finish the badge. In my opinion I consider these badges to be worthless.

3) Danbury items are reproductions.

4) In 99% of occasions badges unmarked sliders are repros/fakes knocked out in the late 1980's. There are a few exceptions though.

5) Badges that come in a range of colours for the SAME unit (i.e. NOT where the same badge is shared by different units and with different colour for each unit) are factory cock-ups.

After approx. 5 years research at approx. 20 hours a week I consider the 336 number to be the best 'guestimate' anyone has ever had although there are also a further 23 that look the real deal but unfortunately have no official documentation to back them up.

My work is based on official sources which have come from (for example):

a) The National Archives Kew
b) The Royal Armouries, Leeds
c) The Imperial War Museum, London
d) The National Army Museum, London
f) Boxes of loose offical documents from other collectors in both paper and electronic form including CCN, COSA, JSP publications.
g) Documents released from the MoD under the Freedom of Information Act.
f) et al.

Of course, more badge may come to light as time goes on but if it cannot be backed up by official documentation then I would suggest caution.

Regards

Chris
Old 18-07-11, 03:48 PM

CHRIS, Thanks for taking time and effort to reply Jerry.

JERRY
ROYAL ENGINEERS/BRITISH ARMY CORPS & SERVICES/BRITISH LEGION/ROYAL BRITISH LEGION (see albums)
Old 19-07-11, 01:15 AM

Chris

I wish you well with the publishing as soon as it is available I shall buy a copy, I expect it to be the definitive work and expose the fakes commissioned by certain dealers.

with all best wishes.

John
Old 19-07-11, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Mulcahy View Post
Chris

I wish you well with the publishing as soon as it is available I shall buy a copy, I expect it to be the definitive work and expose the fakes commissioned by certain dealers.

with all best wishes.

John
Hi John,

Yes, known fakes/repros will be noted especially the Gaunt slider type ones which are specifically listed. There are also sections on others at a generic level so that the collector can see what to look for. I have still to add a small section of dodgy badges with lugs and unfortunately although I have a good idea I am not 100% sure where they came from i.e. who made them.

Regards

Chris