British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Anodised Aluminium Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 06-05-11, 05:43 AM

Default Unknown Slider

Hi Guys,

I've been looking off an on at the sliders used on A/A badges for 4 or 5 years now and am pretty confident about who made any badge with an unmarked (or even dodgy marked) sliders. There are two though that I am stuck with and cannot identify who was responsible for them. While one I believe is an out and out unofficial commission the other now seems to have a high degree of authenticity.

See below the images of the Staff Band, The Brigade of Gurkhas and The Prince of Wales's Own Regiment of Yorkshire. I have had the Gurkhas badge for some time but just picked up the Yorkshire badge in a coin shop in Wellington. Now, while I initially thought that the Gurkhas badge was dodgy and may have been commissioned by the Gurkha Museum in Winchester I noted that the very common Yorkshire badge had exactly the same slider. The equivalent of a couple of quid later and it was mine.

As I do not believe that a common badge like The Prince of Wales's Own Regiment of Yorkshire badge would be made as an unofficial commission and also that I have never seen any other badges apart from the two shown here with this slider, I have to conclude that from where I stand, that both have to both be genuine. The badge was in with a group of very tatty other A/A badges many with brass sliders so I estimate that the group was from the early to mid 1960's and thus I currently date both these badges the same

Can members here check their collections of any A/A badges and see if the slider or badge's body is marked. The size of the slider is around 6.05 mm wide and 1.60 mm thick and is very slightly tapered. The main identifying attribute though apart from shape is that when the badge is viewed from the front and a finger nail run across it a distinct ridge can be felt on both edges.

Regards

Chris
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Unknown Slider016.jpg (38.8 KB, 37 views)
File Type: jpg Unknown Slider Reverse017.jpg (33.6 KB, 49 views)

Last edited by hagwalther; 06-05-11 at 05:51 AM.
Old 06-05-11, 04:53 PM

Default PWO

Chris,

This article from Soldier Magazine (unfortunately undated) says that "for 12 years the Regiment wore the cap badge of the Yorkshire Brigade".

As the Yorkshire Brigade dates from c1958 this would indicate that the "new" badge was introduced after 1970.

I suggest that the plain slider example you have was manufactured in the 1970s or later and might be of a type ordered and purchased by the Regiment to be sold to PWO soldiers by the PRI. (President of the Regimental Insitute).

Can any ex PWO soldier comment? Anyone got a dated Sealed Pattern?

Tim
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PWO Yorkshire001.jpg (69.2 KB, 14 views)
Old 06-05-11, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grey_green_acorn View Post
Chris,

This article from Soldier Magazine (unfortunately undated) says that "for 12 years the Regiment wore the cap badge of the Yorkshire Brigade".

As the Yorkshire Brigade dates from c1958 this would indicate that the "new" badge was introduced after 1970.

I suggest that the plain slider example you have was manufactured in the 1970s or later and might be of a type ordered and purchased by the Regiment to be sold to PWO soldiers by the PRI. (President of the Regimental Insitute).

Tim
Thanks Tim,

The piece was most interesting and worth reading. Regarding sealed patterns - I have an image of a sealed pattern card but unfortunately it is undated in the usual place but does carry a date of 26th April 94. By this date though sealed pattern tags had replaced cards.

I also have a sealed pattern tag dated the 23rd July 1981 and the resealed amendment which is attached to it - this is dated 3rd Jan 1996.

The PRI thought is interesting and worth considering. However, PRI shops as I know things sold unauthorised badges such as subdued A/A badges or other metal types and not the officially authorised item.

This aside though I really would like to know who made these badges so if any member has ANY A/A badge with this slider together with a maker mark to body or slider please let me know.

Regards

Chris
Old 25-05-11, 05:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grey_green_acorn View Post
Chris,

Tim
Hi Guys,

Bit more to add here from some documentation relating to the minutes of the 138th Meeting of the War Office Dress Committee held on the 8th June 1961.

...it was decided to approve Demonstration & Evaluation for 3 Bn, PWO Regt of Yorkshire (TA);
Headdress badge for all ranks- The Yorkshire Bde pattern....

This implies that the TA Battalion was not wearing the Yorkshire Brigade cap badge at the time and must have been wearing something else. Were they wearing the badge shown?

Regards

Chris

PS If anyone has a badge with this slider on that is maker marked then please contact me.