British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Anodised Aluminium Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 21-08-09, 09:01 PM

Default Large AA ebay collection

Quite a large collection of badges have come up by a "generally trusted seller" but there are a number of them listed here which I have my doubts about although there are what I consider to be good ones too. Can I have an expert opinion on the Middlesex and West Kent please. Browse the sellers listings after viewing the one below.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/AA-Cap-Badge-N...d=p3911.c0.m14
Old 22-08-09, 12:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viletone View Post
Quite a large collection of badges have come up by a "generally trusted seller" but there are a number of them listed here which I have my doubts about although there are what I consider to be good ones too. Can I have an expert opinion on the Middlesex and West Kent please. Browse the sellers listings after viewing the one below.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/AA-Cap-Badge-N...d=p3911.c0.m14
Hi Viletone,

I'm not sure that there are any experts in this field but there are a few of us tyring to sort the anodised aluminium cap badge area out.

I'll have a look for you but send me individual links. To busy to go through them all trying to find the ones you want.

Also, rear views are a must.

Regards

Chris
Old 22-08-09, 01:09 AM
Administrator

he appears to have prefixed all his current anodised with "AA" so easy to sort:

endici's anodised assortment - think he has front and back views of them all.

some very common in there such as Cheshire's and Welsh Fus. As well as a few uncommon ones.

Loyals seems to be doing ok at the mo.

Anyway, the two mentioned in the o.p.:

AA Cap Badge MIDDLESEX REGIMENT

AA Cap Badge Queen's Own Royal West Kent
Old 22-08-09, 01:37 AM

Thanks Mike,

I'll try sorting it out tonight.

No maker marks on these two but the sliders look like one of Gaunts types. Have to check active service dates against a guesstimate of the era that they were used to try to exclude unofficial commissions.

From a manufacturing view they look OK though but if official issue dunno at the moment.

Regards

Chris
Old 22-08-09, 09:21 PM

Hi Guys,

OK - Manufacturing wise both look good and I am 95% both are by Gaunt but I would like to handle the Middlesex to be sure but it looks like the slider is of my designation 7.5 (being maker 7 (of 14) slider 4 or possibly 5 (of 9 sliders by Gaunt)).

I have the exact West Kent and identify the slider as designation 7.5.

I would say that both sliders are of later (1970's onwards - but this is a guesstimate) manufacture rather than earlier.

Middlesex finished active service in 1958.
West Kent in 1961.

As such, I would say that Middlesex Regt. is an unofficial commission and West Kent probably is too.

I have yet to come across either unit badge as an officially issued item in any official documentation but I still have a lot of work to do here.

I'm also not a fan of unmarked sliders as companies did take pride in what they did especially Gaunt so why are these sliders not marked by them? Possibly they forgot to do so when the slider was made but there may have been another sensitive commercial reasons.

Hope this helps.

Chris

Last edited by hagwalther; 23-08-09 at 02:22 AM.