British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Anodised Aluminium Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 12-06-11, 09:26 AM

Default East Anglia Brigade

Images below show an anodised badge mearsuring 44mm across. Can anyone identify from the fixing on the reverse what this may have been used for. The gap between the rear of the badge and the 'slot' in the fixing is less than 2mm, indicating that it what ever it was attached to was not very thick!. A comparable lugged badge has a 6mm clearance

John
Attached Images
File Type: jpg f1474n332~B40.jpg (72.9 KB, 31 views)
File Type: jpg f1474n331~B40 Reverse.jpg (62.5 KB, 39 views)
Old 12-06-11, 10:49 AM

Looks like a collar badge fixing lug.
Old 12-06-11, 11:04 AM
Former Member

John,
looks like a cap badge that's been altered to accommodate a belt plate? The area where the slider would have been, looks to have been filed smooth? I may be wrong but I thought the Brigaded Regiments did not wear collars, retaining their Regimental devices? Only the later TA units which adopted the Bde Cap badges had collars?

Back to the alteration!! Perhaps for a belt or pouch or RP arm band/brassar or such like?

Andy
Old 12-06-11, 11:07 AM

John,
as the badge would appear to be 'cap badge' size, my only guess would be for a belt plate, although the fixings are generally in two's, however they do have a very shallow clearance. So badge for a belt plate would be my guess. It does absolutely appear to be a collar badge 'lug' however, I would think that it would be too big.

All the best, regards to all

Bess
Old 12-06-11, 11:23 AM
Peter J

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2747andy View Post
John,
looks like a cap badge that's been altered to accommodate a belt plate? The area where the slider would have been, looks to have been filed smooth? I may be wrong but I thought the Brigaded Regiments did not wear collars, retaining their Regimental devices? Only the later TA units which adopted the Bde Cap badges had collars?

Back to the alteration!! Perhaps for a belt or pouch or RP arm band/brassar or such like?

Andy
Andy,

The East Anglian Brigade wore collars, each of the three battalions having their own particular pattern. When the amalgamations took place in the late 1950s the collars for the 1st Bn were not issued at the same time as the cap badge, resulting in many ORs displaying the new cap badge but temporarily having to retain the collars of their original regiment. For the first Battalion, this meant wearing Britannia collar badges with the new East Anglia cap badge. These were eventually brought into line, of course.

Here, respectively, are the 1st, 2nd and 3rd East Anglian caps and corresponding collars.

1st.jpg2nd.jpg3rd.jpg

As for the fixing on John's badge; I agree that it is more commonly seen on collars

Regards,

Peter

Last edited by Peter J; 12-06-11 at 11:33 AM.
Old 12-06-11, 12:58 PM
Former Member

Peter,
thanks for putting me straight! Perhaps I should of said, collars which were a smaller version of the cap badge in this case?

Andy
Old 12-06-11, 08:56 PM

Thanks all for your input.....this has certainly raised some interesting options