British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Everything Else > Off topic

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 30-03-16, 10:11 AM

Default Random musings: Tattoos

Just a random thought I had.

On Sunday I met up with a mate (ex-Argyll) for coffee, during which I commented that I might as well bring forward my retirement plan to have Odin's ravens Huginn and Muninn (Thought and Memory) tattooed on my neck as it wouldn't affect my inability to get a job. He replied that Radio One held a roadshow in Stirling many years ago, and that he'd never seen so many tattoos in his life "and that was just the women".

Thought this might interest/amuse one or two members

Graham
I am looking to purchase items from the British Administration Police & Prison Services in Cyrenaica & Tripolitania; Eritrea & Ethiopia; Somalia (f. Italian Somaliland) & British Somaliland; & the Dodecanese: insignia, documents, photographs etc.
Old 30-03-16, 10:31 AM

Old Marine buddy of mine whilst we were both serving on HMS Fearless pulled into Hong Kong for a visit ... whilst ashore he 'over-indulged' in the falling down water and found his way into a tattoo parlour. He was adamant he wanted a set of footprints tattooed around his belly button, so the Chinese tattoo 'artist' asked him to write down exactly what he wanted done. Fast forward to the following morning and lo .. as he woke from his stupor, a neat set of footprints tattooed around his belly button with the legend 'Naval Patol' underneath ... seems in his cups he had forgotten to add the letter R in Patrol!
Several weeks later he had a garland of flowers tattooed in place of the legend.
Old 30-03-16, 10:50 AM

Whilst stationed in Germany the friend with whom I had coffee got a 'Grim Reaper' tattooed on his stomach. It hurt a lot as the guy he was with kept making him laugh, so when his mate went in the chair to get his girlfriend's name "Jacqueline" tattooed on his arm he asked Jim to write it out for the tattooist. He did this, omitting the "L": apparently his mate failed to see the funny side of this and chased him "for miles", with the eventual fight attracting the attention of the local constabulary. As a postscript the loving couple broke up some weeks later so the guy had "Jacqueine" covered over.
I am looking to purchase items from the British Administration Police & Prison Services in Cyrenaica & Tripolitania; Eritrea & Ethiopia; Somalia (f. Italian Somaliland) & British Somaliland; & the Dodecanese: insignia, documents, photographs etc.
Old 30-03-16, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chacal View Post
Just a random thought I had.

On Sunday I met up with a mate (ex-Argyll) for coffee, during which I commented that I might as well bring forward my retirement plan to have Odin's ravens Huginn and Muninn (Thought and Memory) tattooed on my neck as it wouldn't affect my inability to get a job. He replied that Radio One held a roadshow in Stirling many years ago, and that he'd never seen so many tattoos in his life "and that was just the women".

Thought this might interest/amuse one or two members

Graham
Graham if you go for it will needs pics please.

I can't shake thinking this would make an awesome rib cage or waist tattoo, the curve of the grenade following the curve of the waist? Too much grenade adulation? ....
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg user9910_pic126543_1458934832.jpeg (103.6 KB, 26 views)
Old 30-03-16, 12:11 PM

WAAAAY back in the day I was a band called "Rage In Eden".
One of the guys decided that the band's name would be a cool tattoo to get, but just to add to the cool factor decided to get it done with Chinese characters.
He found a translation dictionary online (never a good idea) and presented the result to the tattoo artist, who luckily had the sense to double check the meaning of the symbols
since the Chinese have no proper equivalent to "Eden". He was right.
The characters translated back to English as "Angry In The Carpark".
My mate decided not to get the tattoo done...

"One day I'll leave you, a phantom to lead you in the Summer, to join the Black Parade"
Old 30-03-16, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ubervamp View Post
One of the guys decided that the band's name would be a cool tattoo to get, but just to add to the cool factor decided to get it done with Chinese characters.
He found a translation dictionary online (never a good idea) and presented the result to the tattoo artist, who luckily had the sense to double check the meaning of the symbols
since the Chinese have no proper equivalent to "Eden". He was right.
My mate decided not to get the tattoo done...
There must be so many wrong 'uns around when it comes to Chinese symbols etc I don't like them, just personal taste. To each their own.
Old 30-03-16, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ubervamp View Post
You could always have changed the band name!
Old 30-03-16, 02:33 PM

Default Tuak = Tattoo

c 1965 in Sarawak, an AAC Sgt pilot, having imbibed too much tuak (rice wine) decided it would be a good idea to have an Iban neck tattoo applied (an example below). Back in his unit, when he woke up, he begged to be allowed to go back to Singapore to get it professionally removed. This was refused - he was on an operational tour, but he was given permission to stop shaving - in an attempt to conceal the offending tattoo. I've no idea what the final outcome was. Mike

http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=...7o1&ajaxhist=0
Old 30-03-16, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigerlily View Post

I can't shake thinking this would make an awesome rib cage or waist tattoo, the curve of the grenade following the curve of the waist? Too much grenade adulation? ....
Alli

I would strongly counsel against getting your ribs done (unless you're a masochist into that '50 Shades' stuff): I had my ribs done and it was the most painful hour of my life - even more so than getting a wisdom tooth removed.

It is academic anyway, as I'll not be able to get any until I find a job. Until then you'll have to make do with photos of the tats on my ribs and chest.

BCNU

Graham
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 15Mar2012 005bb.jpg (113.2 KB, 38 views)
File Type: jpg 25Sep2012 013bb.jpg (104.9 KB, 40 views)
Old 30-03-16, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chacal View Post
Alli

I would strongly counsel against getting your ribs done (unless you're a masochist into that '50 Shades' stuff): I had my ribs done and it was the most painful hour of my life - even more so than getting a wisdom tooth removed.

It is academic anyway, as I'll not be able to get any until I find a job. Until then you'll have to make do with photos of the tats on my ribs and chest.

BCNU

Graham
Very nice Graham, yup the nearer the bone the more it hurts And the story behind the tattoos? I love tattoo stories, nothing worse than someone just walking in pointing at random flash and saying "I want that one"

I am thinking about it on the waist, its getting the size right that will be the key.
Old 30-03-16, 06:54 PM

Quote:

Or too much waist

"One day I'll leave you, a phantom to lead you in the Summer, to join the Black Parade"
Old 30-03-16, 07:14 PM

No the waist is just fine thanks
Old 30-03-16, 09:12 PM

Quote:
No the waist is just fine thanks
Just kidding
Seriously, I think it would make a great tattoo, Alli, but to do it justice with shading and detail it should be of a certain size. I don't know what other tattoos you have and where, but the shape and length of the grenade would probably look best on the calf or overarm / underarm? Or small of the back could be cool?
I'm saving up to get a new tat on the ribs.
It's four lines of lyrics from a song you might know;
"When I was a young boy, my father took me into the city...." etc.

Cheers

Colin

Old 30-03-16, 09:56 PM

I do indeed recognise it

Just personal taste again but I loathe tattoos on the lower back, Eurgh tramp stamps. Despite how I might come across I'm actually a bit on the girly side and wouldnt have my leg tattooed, for me I just think it looks trashy. I would rather have it somewhere on my body for only me to see. I know that doesn't make sense, I'm laughing to myself as well because the view I currently have completely contradicts what I've just written. I'm a bundle of contradictions.
Old 30-03-16, 10:18 PM

Location: A Yorkshireman in exile 'Up North' and an ‘Honorary Smoggie’.

Colin,
Interesting name for a band. I believe that somewhere in my deep and distant past that a new wave band called Ultravox (???) had an album of a similar name. Was there any connection?