British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Royal Navy and Royal Marines

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 31-01-16, 02:34 PM

Default Bisley patch

Can anyone give information concerning a naval marksman badge inscribed 'Bisley 1961'? Would this signify that the qualifying seaman was entitled to wear said badge in lieu of the normal marksman badge for that year?
Who would issue such badge? Bisley, or would the ship's tailor add on the inscription?
GTB
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Bisley.jpg (58.8 KB, 31 views)
Old 31-01-16, 02:52 PM

You could buy similar when I shot there as an Air Cadet in 1981. My one dated 1981 in blue grey. Regards, Paul.
Old 31-01-16, 11:02 PM

Hi GTB

You can also find the standard Army Marksman cloth badges (crossed rifles) with "Bisley" and the year at the bottom. As Paul says, I believe they were manufactured and sold as such, rather than the details being added to an existing badge.

As far as I know, they (or the Army badges at least) were not authorised for wear in uniform but someone else might know better!

David

Last edited by davidwyke; 31-01-16 at 11:26 PM.
Old 31-01-16, 11:23 PM

Default Bisley/Year Badge.

Who was entitled to wear the Bisley badges. I see then quite often but no nothing about them.
Old 31-01-16, 11:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishhorse View Post
Who was entitled to wear the Bisley badges. I see then quite often but no nothing about them.
I always thought that the modern crossed rifles/ Bisley & year pattern badges/patches were more in the way of "souvenirs" for people taking part in the competitions there in any given year; rather than anyone being entitled to wear them as such.

I'm only guessing though!

David
Old 01-02-16, 01:36 AM

Default Bisley Team from Canada

I know this has nothing to do with ID'ing the badge in question. However, when I saw "Bisley", I couldn't help myuself. It put me in mind of a story from my early days in the Army. In Canada way back when, the top shooters from the national service matches held in Ottawa every year made up the Canadian team that went to Bisley the next year. One year the team had Adidas track suits made up with the title "Canadian Bisley Team" stenciled across the back.

Traveling to England, one of the the team members, a Warrant Officer in my regiment, was stopped by a lady in the airport before departure. She was curious and asked him....(get ready for it!)..."Excuse me, but how do you play Bisley? (I don't know what her hair colour was)

As I said, it doesn't help with identification, but I thought it might brighten everyone's day

Cheers,

Ian
The day the government succeeds in taking away our dress uniforms, badges and colours, and all the so called "non-functional" items; they will find themselves with an army that cannot defend them. Robert Heinlein, "Starship Troopers"
Old 01-02-16, 07:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidwyke View Post
Hi GTB

As Paul says, I believe they were manufactured and sold as such, rather than the details being added to an existing badge.

David
A look at the back of the badge appears to discount this. It is obvious that the details have been added later.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Bisley61.jpg (62.2 KB, 24 views)
Old 01-02-16, 08:07 AM

When I shot at Bisley the badges were available for purchase from a small shop there. Not to be worn on uniform but purely as a keepsake, some people did wear them on their shooting jackets though. Up to this point I had only seen them in colours for the Army & RAF.
Regards, Craig.
Old 01-02-16, 08:17 AM

They may be an unofficial badge, they are however worn proudly in uniform by members of the various cadet forces (ACF/ATC/SCC/CCF)
PL
Old 01-02-16, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTB View Post
A look at the back of the badge appears to discount this. It is obvious that the details have been added later.
Hi GTB

Yes, you are right. I should have checked my badges (all army) first, they do appear to have had the details added!

David
Old 01-02-16, 11:30 AM

Thanks for that corroboration, David. Sometimes the obvious turns out to be not all that obvious after all. At first I didn't appreciate fully this fact (details added later), it was mainly after instigating the thread that further info is presenting itself.

GTB
Old 01-02-16, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTB View Post
Thanks for that corroboration, David. Sometimes the obvious turns out to be not all that obvious after all. At first I didn't appreciate fully this fact (details added later), it was mainly after instigating the thread that further info is presenting itself.

GTB
To be honest I hadn't really paid much attention to them in the past but they are interesting badges.

I like the fact that they were worn in uniform by Cadets, as "OC14" mentions above, which is something I didn't realise. I wonder to what extent the wearing of them by Cadets is officially sanctioned?

David
Old 01-02-16, 11:52 AM

Not a Bisley badge but some interesting shooting badges on a cadet BD including that for the NRA Cadet 100.

Jon
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Somerset ACF.jpg (116.8 KB, 56 views)
Old 01-02-16, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Postwarden View Post
Not a Bisley badge but some interesting shooting badges on a cadet BD including that for the NRA Cadet 100.

Jon
That's a beauty !
PL
Old 01-02-16, 01:06 PM

The one bought in the ATC.
Bisley 1981_0001.jpg

Bisley 1981_0002.jpg