British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > General Topics.

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 29-07-18, 04:51 PM

Default Unusual Request - Theatre Production

Well friends, this may be one of the strangest posts the Forum has seen, but here goes: In addition to a lifetime interest in history and collecting militaria, I have also been very active in community theatre, or, as it is known in the UK, amateur theatricals. For some time, I have been trying to persuade our local group to allow me to direct R. C. Sherriff’s classic First World War play, Journey’s End. For the occasion of the 100th anniversary of the Armistice, they have called my bluff and put the show on next season’s schedule. I am starting to appreciate the magnitude of the task I have taken on. Casting and rehearsal will not be the biggest challenge; this is the normal work of the theatre world. Much more daunting will be the construction of an accurate representation of a WWI trench system in an arena theatre and costuming 10-12 actors in authentic-appearing uniforms and equipment.

This post is to request any help, suggestions, or advice the membership can provide. British field equipment and uniforms of any period are scarce in my part of America. I have odds and ends, a SMLE No. 1 Mark III rifle, a .455 Webley revolver, a couple of helmets, several leather belts with shoulder straps, a set of P37 gear, a leather jerkin, and that’s about it. Any suggestions regarding a source of equipment or uniforms would be appreciated. Obviously, I realize that given the constraints of finances and availability, I will not be able to make everything perfectly authentic. With that thought in mind, I am planning to buy later canvas equipment and uniforms that will look close enough to be acceptable. I expect I may have to hold my nose and buy some reproductions, as well. Finally, any ideas regarding the accurate portrayal of the British army of the First World War period are also welcome.