British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Other Commonwealth Military Insignia > All other Colonial Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 09-04-14, 05:37 PM

Default Selous Scouts Badges/Insignia

Hi James, what is the small badge (smaller than a collar badge) - perhaps a badge to be worn when in civvies?
Old 09-04-14, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamesm View Post
Insignia, issued and unissued.
Hi James, What is the small Scouts badge shown below the Scouts cap badge? It is smaller than the collars.
Old 10-04-14, 02:12 AM
Banned

Quote:
After getting the lot in and giving it consideration, I felt it wrong to break up the wings. It would be much like breaking up a medal group.
Then you should have given that consideration before the auction. You took about 6 months after the auction to tell me you had changed your mind and you were going to keep all the para wings.
The reality and the truth is, is that it was me that contacted you about our deal and Craig's deal after the auction. You played 'cat and mouse'.
BTW what you haven't got here is the transcripts of the phone calls that I made to you.

Quote:
At no time, that I recall, was there ever any mention of a financial collaboration or offering from Peter or Craig. That fell on my shoulders and the others were to pick out items from the winning bids, if and when I moved any of the items (see excerpts immediately below). Pretty sweet deal if you’re not risking any cash in the process.
PMSL the deal was that we would NOT BID! That means that you weren't bidding against two serious collectors like Craig and myself, which meant that you possibly got the items cheaper.
BTW I was under the understanding that the cost of the items that you had agreed would go to Craig and myself would have included customs and postage charges.

You fail to accept a number of things:
  • You changed your mind about the shirt after the auction.
  • You changed your mind about the para wings after the auction.
  • You changed your mind about the medal ribbons after the auction.

It's irrelevant why you changed your mind, the fact is you did which makes you a liar because you went back on your word to two 'supposed' friends. You cannot defend the indefensible.

Last edited by rhodesianmilitaria; 10-04-14 at 02:17 AM.
Old 10-04-14, 10:31 AM

At last, in the bottom box, of the last wardrobe, in the fullest room, I've found my Rhodie bits. I attach photos of some of the pieces (and a photo of the wardrobe that held them!). The "Pea greens" came from Critten, the dress greens from Radford, the leather stool cover was apparently made by Dale Collett and my copy of the print that adorned the cover of the Selous book.

Ian H
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF3123.jpg (41.3 KB, 41 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF3117.jpg (48.9 KB, 54 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF3127.jpg (25.4 KB, 40 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF3128.jpg (63.8 KB, 62 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF3116.jpg (59.2 KB, 38 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF3126.jpg (39.8 KB, 37 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF3121.jpg (52.9 KB, 29 views)
Old 10-04-14, 12:17 PM
Banned

Ian on the shirt that you got from Critten the Exemplary Service Medal should be after the Rhodesian General Service Medal.
Old 10-04-14, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swende View Post
Transkei Special Forces uniform showing how wing backing were cut in similar style to the Selous ones
Hi A question Is the transkei beret the same plumb shade as the SA para beret or maroon as the UK para beret
Thanks graham

Last edited by Loski; 24-04-14 at 03:24 PM.
Old 10-04-14, 03:34 PM

Hi the berets are neither ! They are a similar cherry red colour to the South African medic service berets .
Old 11-04-14, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruwa View Post
Hi James, What is the small Scouts badge shown below the Scouts cap badge? It is smaller than the collars.
Hi Dave,

Sorry for the late reply, but I just got back in town.

Those are actually OR's collar dogs. They are the same size as the others, they just look a smaller size when set side-by-side with the ones sitting on the black backing.

James
Old 11-04-14, 03:29 PM

Very nice, Ian. Are any of the items named and are the wings numbered?

James
Old 11-04-14, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhodesianmilitaria View Post
It's irrelevant why you changed your mind, the fact is you did which makes you a liar because you went back on your word to two 'supposed' friends. You cannot defend the indefensible.

You can turn and twist this any way you like, as I suspect this will be the case, but I think the emails speak for and stand by themselves. I replied out of courtesy to Craig’s request and am replying now to your last, but this will be my last on the matter. Go back and actually read the correspondence and you will answer your own questions and see the timeframe, that you’ve questioned, and see any of the delayed replies to me. Factor in my father’s illness, which, sorry for not being all over this topic at that time, but for some reason or another, spending most of my free time at the hospital with my father and/or looking after my mother seemed to override any hobby…apologies. Take from the emails not what you want to hear, but from what you’ve written.

I reiterate;

Quote from Craig; “As per the photos I sent you would be happy with any of the identified shirts”.
Note; other than one shirt, he was still given his choice of any of the remaining nine.

Quotes from Peter; “How about a photo of the wings, just the obverse please. That's if you're still interested in selling them.” “Have you decided anything with the medal ribbons or para wing?”.
Note; an email to Peter between the times of his two quotes, immediately above, I had replied with “When I finally get the lot, I’ll know more on what I want to do with them.”
I would think your line of questioning, Peter, it showed there was no set deal in place. Although I decided not to break up the SAS wings, Peter was still offered a ribbon bar.

After shouldering the costs, solely, for the various lots in the auction, I honestly thought I had honoured the requests of both Craig and Peter, as shown above. But, because they decided that their own words were to be discarded, I am the one who was completely wrong. When someone throws out the term of “friend” and “liar”, I suggest they know the meaning themselves.

I have always been thankful for the help and advice that Craig and Peter, and all the others, have given me when I first started my foray into collecting Rhodesian Militaria. Although it may have looked like it was a one way street, where I was the only one being schooled, there was a point where I could give and contribute too.

James
Old 11-04-14, 11:25 PM
Banned

Well this will be my last say on this matter.
There was a deal in place with both of us. Read your own email.

Thu 07/07/2011 7:39 PM
To: 'Peter Garratt'
Hi Peter,

I'm sure we can do something. Which wings was it that you were interested in again?

Cheers,
James

This was about 6 months after the auction you are reiterating what was said before the auction but you then changed your mind.
The discussion here is not what I received (nothing) but about your honesty. I already had all of the wings that went to auction but I was interested in adding a wing or wings that had provenance to Ron Reid-Daly.

As for the ribbons, there were three complete except one was missing a rosette. You never offered me one of those because after the auction you wanted to think about that as well.

You are the one who is trying to twist the story to suit yourself, ironically against two people with impeccable reputations in collecting. Good luck with that.

Whatever you write here, you know there was a deal in place and that you reneged on it. As I said previously, you're a liar!
Old 12-04-14, 08:47 PM

Anyways....there has been some questions about the colours of the different berets. I do not have a UK Para Beret, but I have a Transkei SF Beret, SA Recce Beret, and Selous Scouts beret to do a three way comparison.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loski View Post
Hi A question It the transkei beret the same plumb shade as the SA para beret or maroon as the UK para beret
Thanks graham
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 001.jpg (75.7 KB, 23 views)

James
Old 12-04-14, 08:57 PM

A few other pieces. A silver plated copper mug. An officer's cap badge that had been made into a broach.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 006.jpg (38.4 KB, 36 views)
File Type: jpg 003-1.jpg (56.9 KB, 26 views)
File Type: jpg 003.jpg (46.9 KB, 18 views)

James
Old 16-04-14, 02:17 PM

Great stuff .. thanks James !
Old 16-04-14, 02:30 PM

Location: In Luxembourg for the last 20 years and staying. They take much better care of us here....

Quote:
A few other pieces. A silver plated copper mug. An officer's cap badge that had been made into a broach.
James,
Broached or not, its a lovely badge. I have been after one for yonks, but its probably going to happen. Very nice to see a pic of one anyway.
Rgds, David