British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Canadian Military Insignia > General Topics

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 14-06-09, 08:59 AM
Former Member

Default Canadian Badge! - Questions

One for the Canadian Collectors -Royal 22nd Regiment

I have two Royal 22nd Regt Cap badges, both of bi metal construction and both with slider fittings, one is maker marked "HEMSLEY" and a far superior made badge than the other, which itself is very nice. The "HEMSLEY" badge differs also in that only the central, circular device which carries the Regimental title is in white metal whereas the other bade has both the central device and crown in white metal. The "HEMSLEY" badge also differs in that the detail on the beaver is quite different to the other badge, it is slightly larger and has a different shaped crown.

My question is, is the "HEMSLEY" just a better made badge and the differences down to a different manufacturer or is it a Warrant Officer/Officers badge as the central device appears to be Silver/S.Plate?

Andy
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CIMG7965.jpg (48.2 KB, 31 views)
File Type: jpg CIMG7964.jpg (65.5 KB, 42 views)
File Type: jpg CIMG7963.jpg (60.5 KB, 39 views)
File Type: jpg CIMG7966.jpg (49.2 KB, 39 views)
Old 14-06-09, 11:00 AM
Super Moderator

Hi Andy, Some opinions. The Vandoos had cap badges for different orders of dress. There is a larger cap badge for the bearskin hat, and smaller badges for beret / forage cap wear. Both of your badges appear to be better quality badges, perhaps officer's. The larger one may be the badge for the bearskin. A question about the larger one, it appears to have been gilted at one time?
Unfortunately, the Vandoos insignia have not beed studied in the detail that other Canadian regiments have been. Certainly an area deserving of attention.
Old 14-06-09, 02:07 PM
Former Member

Bill,
it looks like it has been made that way rather than a later gilding! Do similar guidlines apply to Canadian badges i.e. Officers badge rarely having sliders?

Andy
Old 14-06-09, 02:14 PM
Super Moderator

Hi Andy, In Canada lugs and sliders are more of an era distinguisher. The lug / pin was the primary Canadian made badge fastener until the 1950's. There are some examples of slider fastener badges from the CEF period and inter-war period, but these badges appear to have been UK made. The slider came into use in the mid-late 1950's when badges were in transition from king's crown to queen's crown.
Your examples of kc R22eR badges are kc and with sliders are likely UK made. Many officer's badges were acquired in the UK, and that may explain the slider, more than the fact that the badges are officer's.
Old 14-06-09, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill A View Post
There is a larger cap badge for the bearskin hat, and smaller badges for beret / forage cap wear.
I never heard of different sizes to the R22eR badge. To my knowledge the badge worn on the bearskin cap has screw lugs but is the same size as the badge worn on the beret and on the forage cap.
I was under the impression that the inset sans crown was WWI while the inset with crown is WII and beyond, but I don't know this as a fact.
Old 17-06-09, 09:23 AM
Former Member

Thanks for your replies, I'm a little bit wiser!

Bill, Hemsley is in the Canadian Makers List, so probably not UK made?

Andy