British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Canadian Military Insignia > General Topics

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 05-06-09, 08:27 AM
Former Member

Default Disparity in Value of Maker marked and non Maker Marked Canadian Badges

I've been having a sort out and it's time to bid farewell to some of my Commonwealth badges, alas they are destined for ebay and maybe return to their countries of origin.

Thumbing through dealers lists and the internet I was very surprised at the huge price difference between marked and non marked badges. Canadian badges in particular seem to vary enormously. Is this just in the UK or does the same apply in Canada?

Andy
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CIMG7699.jpg (52.9 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg CIMG7700.jpg (74.3 KB, 21 views)
Old 05-06-09, 01:45 PM

The way I see it I'm always happier when I see that faint makers mark on the back of the badge and I guess I'd probably pay a small premium on the value for it. To say that I'd pay double for a badge because it was scully marked vs an unmarked badge would probably be to much. Birks marked badges are always popular so you might see an extra value attached to them. What you might be seeing is that some of the rarer badges only have one maker.... so you might think that there's a maker marked badge and it went for a big price... probably much more than the unmarked variety... except there is no unmarked one...
Old 05-06-09, 02:20 PM
Former Member

Thanks Jim!

Andy
Old 05-06-09, 03:19 PM
Super Moderator

To add to Jim's reply, there is not a great premium for maker marks on most badges here in Canada. Maker marks are a bit of value added, but more from the point of moving badges more quickly rather than increased price. I think some vendors have latched onto the maker mark as a marketing and valuation tool. Most collectors are collecting the badges, not the maker.