British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Canadian Military Insignia > General Topics

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 15-01-11, 08:43 PM

Default Another New(?) Army Regiment in Nova Scotia

Just a heads up to keep an ear open for an announcement by the Minister of National Defence tomorrow for a new unit in Nova Scotia. Another badge for the Queen's Crown collection
Old 15-01-11, 10:17 PM
Super Moderator

New? Or re-newed?
Old 16-01-11, 12:32 AM

It's a change of designation. 2nd Battalion, The Nova Scotia Highlanders (Cape Breton) is to be redesignated The Cape Breton Highlanders. Apparently the Minister is scheduled to make the announcement on Monday 17 January 2011, according to my source.
Wyn
Old 16-01-11, 12:39 AM
Super Moderator

Wondered when that was going to come around. Rumour has it that the "marriage" was never the happiest.
Old 16-01-11, 02:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill A View Post
Wondered when that was going to come around. Rumour has it that the "marriage" was never the happiest.
No it wasn't, though not necessarily for any concrete reasons. I was the Reg Force staff officer with the Cape Breton half of that family for a few years in the 1980s. Some senior members acted as if they were required to practice ritual hate and cast aspersions on the other battalion when opportunities arose to do so. I think it just became a self-perpetuating prophecy.

It will be interesting to see how they divide the Battle Honours. It should be clear-cut dependent upon perpetuations by amalgamated units, but I suspect not all will be ready for the results of that division. (Gary, if you see details on that, please fire a copy my way.)

Battle Honours - 1st Battalion, The Nova Scotia Highlanders (North) and 2nd Battalion, The Nova Scotia Highlanders (Cape Breton)

Last edited by regimentalrogue; 16-01-11 at 02:47 AM.
Old 17-01-11, 02:06 AM

I'm waiting to see when the 1st Bn Nova Scotia Highlanders realize that they neither want to be the 1st Battalion nor the Nova Scotia Highlanders now and want to be re-designated North Nova Scotia Highlanders (but of course E Coy will then want to be Pictou Highlanders...).
Old 17-01-11, 02:32 AM

I think that there is an election coming up.
Who was in power in 1955 when the amalgamation took place? Who is in power now?
Good way to stroke regional emotionalisms. I've never heard a Cape Bretoner say they were from Nova Scotia.

Last edited by Phillip Herring; 17-01-11 at 02:38 AM.
Old 18-01-11, 11:19 PM
Super Moderator

The official announcement. http://www.forces.gc.ca/site/news-no...cat=00&id=3701
Gary has a point. If the 2nd Bn is now the CBH, should 1 NSH be the NNSH? And, what about the New Brunswick Regiment? Revert to C & Y, and North Shores?
Old 18-01-11, 11:35 PM

Then again wihich cap badge will they be using, the 2nd WW pattern, the 1949 pattern OR a third whole new design/model........????????
In Brass and white metal or bronze and white metal or.......
Jo

“There are things we know that we know,” “There are known unknowns. That is to say there are things that we now know we don't know. But there are also unknown unknowns. There are things we do not know we don't know.”
Donald Rumsfeld, before the Iraqi Invasion,2003.

Age is something that doesn't matter, unless you are a cheese.
Old 18-01-11, 11:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill A View Post
Gary has a point. If the 2nd Bn is now the CBH, should 1 NSH be the NNSH? And, what about the New Brunswick Regiment? Revert to C & Y, and North Shores?
The 1 NSH would have a fight - Pictou versus North Novas.
I think after 55 years, these units were Nova Scotia Highlanders longer than they were NNS/CBH/Pictou (not counting numbered designations prior to 1920).
Customs and traditions are nice, but regiments are dynamic entities that are subject to change.

Phil
Old 19-01-11, 09:14 PM

Smile Cape Breton Highlanders

8HUSSAR (Gary)
Perhaps 1NSH could revert to a name like The Cumberland, Colchester, Hants and Pictou Highlanders, or even The North Nova Scotia Highlanders.
Wyn