British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Formation Signs and Patches

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 01-06-09, 01:43 AM

Default Saddler and Harness maker badge?

I recently obtained this badge and would like to know where on the sleeve of the BD blouse it was worn and by what ranks.
Thanks,

CB
Attached Images
File Type: jpg lcm pix2.jpg (60.2 KB, 42 views)
Old 01-06-09, 04:35 PM

Regulations state, upper right sleeve by all ranks qualified as Collar Maker, Saddler, Saddle Tree Maker and Harness Maker.
Old 08-06-09, 09:22 AM

Yes, this is because it was a badge of Appointment .... all such were upper right until a few modern[!] anomalies crept in c. 1940.
Old 09-06-09, 09:22 AM

..and the one you've got looks like the current 'Guards' pattern, as worn by the Household Cavalry.
Old 09-12-09, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Staffsyeoman View Post
..and the one you've got looks like the current 'Guards' pattern, as worn by the Household Cavalry.
As an update to this, it would appear that the one I have pictured above is a much older one and is actually hand emboidered on a wool felt ground.
The only reference I can find for current Household Cavalry use is a metal one.

CB
Old 10-12-09, 09:45 AM

not very old: badges made for SD began in 1901, and the official issue ones were gilding metal for SD, and bullion/coloured backing for Full Dress.
Old 10-12-09, 07:32 PM

I havent shown the reverse, but the construction and backing of this badge is that of other known ww2 era made insignia I have or have seen. Badges from the 60's on generally appear machine made on poly wool felt often with plastic coated backings etc,. at least to my experience anyway.
So if metal badges were approved for SD, were these cloth badges only for BD blouses? Photos seem to show cloth badges on earlier SD tunics as well.

CB
Old 10-12-09, 08:51 PM

No matter what the regulations state, both cloth and metal badges were worn on SD and BD throughout there existance. The example you have posted is the same as one I have which is known to be from WWII.

Last edited by 54Bty; 09-02-22 at 05:30 PM.
Old 10-12-09, 09:27 PM

British Army Proficiency Badges illustrates more than a few early badges in cloth with pictures of cloth badges on Service Dress as well.

Wanted Poppy Pins
Old 11-12-09, 12:16 AM

Thanks all! I knew the badge to be of older make and now know the range of its use.

CB
Old 12-12-09, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 54Bty View Post
No matter what the regulations state, both cloth and metal badges were worn on SD and BD throughout there existance. The example you have posted is the same as one I have which is known to be from WWII.
My point was not about regs., but about official availability: only rarely do the RACD ledgers and PVCN list alternative materials for SD so that, where a non-standard material is encountered, it has to be a vanity item, either of the individual, or the unit.
One of the few examples of worsted and gilding metal simulatneous issue is the X rifles badge.
Every single 'appointment' badge during the Great War was officially supplied in gilding metal only. These include all the horseshoes, spurs, drums, bugles, hammers and pincers ....... Of course, many manufacturers and tailors were happy to supply variants ...... Gamages were to the forefront in this. They are interesting nevertheless, as being undoubtedly historical articles worn by soldiers on genuine uniforms.