British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Photographs of British Servicemen and Women Wearing Insignia

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 10-01-08, 03:04 PM

Hi Alan
I thought about RA but then the spurs and riding crop put me off plus it looks like there is 3 letters in the shoulder title.

Cheers
Malc

Imagination is more important than knowledge. For while knowledge defines all we currently know and understand, imagination points to all we might yet discover.
Old 10-01-08, 03:09 PM

Here are some closer pictures.
Could it be royal field atrillery???

Cheers
Malc
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Unknown 3.jpg (13.7 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg Unknown 4.jpg (18.1 KB, 22 views)
File Type: jpg Unknown 5.jpg (8.5 KB, 74 views)

Imagination is more important than knowledge. For while knowledge defines all we currently know and understand, imagination points to all we might yet discover.
Old 10-01-08, 03:29 PM
Super Moderator

Spurs are quite normal for the RA at the time to drag the guns about. It could be RHA or RFA as both were mounted.

Alan
Old 10-01-08, 04:03 PM

RFA In both photo's both clearly have ball topped Helmets The mounted one with the light collars was common with AV it is not so easy to ID the exact unit with these pics as they are, and without any history. A thread counter would sort it out for you.
Old 10-01-08, 09:45 PM

Sorry, what is 'AV'
Old 11-01-08, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGP View Post
Thank you....another piece of the jigsaw (the last) is attached. He is the Sergeant on the RH side, clearly in the RA in France. Where the mounted stint was in the previous pic I do not know.
Well that is unequivocally RA so whether he was in the ASC before (I believe so from the mounted pic) will require further research. It was not unusual for Regular reservists to be moved between different parts of the Army over the period 1914-19, especially when wounded and unfit for infantry service (interestingly both Sgts on right side have distinctive brass 'wound stripes' on left arm indicating they have each been wounded twice). Other Arms had varying requirements of medical fitness (as they do now). Have you tried searching out his war record (many were destroyed in the Blitz but surviving copies are available online) or the medal roll (much easier and complete)? It is notable that he (and others too) is also wearing medal ribbons and I can identify the 1914/15 star ribbon on his tunic and there may well be othesr that cannot bee seen because of the quality of the repro. They look to me as if they are in Best Tunics (note 'pristine' white RA lanyards and ribbons were rarely worn in the front line) and it is therefore unlikely to be France unless at some kind of 'Review' in a rear area. My supposition is that this is back in UK and may even be at the end of the war, or just after. When was he demobbed (discharged)?

Last edited by Toby Purcell; 14-01-08 at 12:22 PM. Reason: typo and added facts
Old 11-01-08, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jochim View Post
Chaps
Can anyone identify the second picture as i think the first one is Cameron Highlanders and also maybe put a date to them both.

Cheers
Malc
Interesting pics. I place the first pic at around 1905 and Queens Own Cameron Highlanders (only Reg Infantry Regt to have just a single battalion, all others had 2, most common, or 4). He is wearing 'drummers lace' (so was in the Pipes and Drums) around collar and cuffs, a 1903 pattern leather belt and is wearing a Cameron Highlanders Glengarry (with no dicing, unlike the other Highlander Regts, except for Black Watch who usually wore a Bonnet, although their band and pipes and drums wore a similar Glengarry). The second pic I believe to be RHA and around 1900, as he appears to have the ball (shaped) buttons used to distinguish that 'elite' branch of the RA from its (considered by the RHA) more pedestrian brethren. The Wolsey (not Pith, or Solar Topee worn later) helmet with its RA badge and Ball top is very clear and worn by the RA and RFA as well. The 3 letter shoulder title makes clear it is RFA, or RHA. It is also clear that he was in the RA before he went to the Highlanders as he has only one good conduct stripe with RA, but has achieved both a second conduct stripe and a Lance Corporal's chevron in the Highlanders.

Last edited by Toby Purcell; 14-01-08 at 12:25 PM. Reason: typos and added facts
Old 11-01-08, 03:29 PM

Many thanks Alan & Toby for your input that is most helpful information.

Cheers
Malc

Old 11-01-08, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Sorry, what is 'AV'
Artillery Volunteers. Sometimes A.V.C rarely V.A.

The light Collars where quite common for Artillery of this period. The Helmet badge shape isn't plain, I couldn't see the star shape Toby mentioned... but I think he may be onto something with this mounted guy not being RA.
Old 14-01-08, 01:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tynesideirish View Post
Artillery Volunteers. Sometimes A.V.C rarely V.A.

The light Collars where quite common for Artillery of this period. The Helmet badge shape isn't plain, I couldn't see the star shape Toby mentioned... but I think he may be onto something with this mounted guy not being RA.
Am referring to earlier pic where he is mounted and holding his helmet under his arm. You can see quite clearly that it is a 'universal star' helmet plate, which was not worn by the RA. There's was a coat of arms with gun in relief.
Old 14-01-08, 08:00 AM

Many thanks for the excellent help on these pages , am now 'scrolling' the medal roll as Toby suggested. Fascinating.
With all the permutations in the name, rank, unit, number scenario in the early part of the 20th century , there is a strong case for a bar-code or 'chip' implant in the future......perhaps a little too far?
Old 14-01-08, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Many thanks for the excellent help on these pages , am now 'scrolling' the medal roll as Toby suggested. Fascinating.
With all the permutations in the name, rank, unit, number scenario in the early part of the 20th century , there is a strong case for a bar-code or 'chip' implant in the future......perhaps a little too far?
Important to note that at that time each Regt/Corp was allocated its own block of numbers. This meant that every time a soldier changed Regt/Corps he was issued with a new number, but of course his personal details (name., inits, date of birth etc) remained the same.

Last edited by Toby Purcell; 14-01-08 at 12:25 PM. Reason: typo