British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Airborne, Elite and Special Forces Insignia

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 05-12-16, 12:43 PM

Default Sand cast LRDG

Gents is this a good sand cast badge. This is the only pic I have
Thanks
Ivan
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_5532.jpg (48.8 KB, 216 views)
Old 05-12-16, 01:36 PM

looks like someone has been busy shortening the legs at the back...... so IMVHO not one I'd go for.
Old 05-12-16, 02:11 PM

Cool Sand cast LRDG

Presumably you have been told it's sandcast?

Rob
Old 05-12-16, 02:29 PM

Default Listed

hi
It's listed as sandcast at an auction. I believe it's a messed with badge,I just wanted opinions of others. It didn't sell so my initial thoughts were bad
Old 05-12-16, 05:44 PM

Sorry this is a fake badge that has been polished and fitted to a solar helmet for the purpose of deception.

I contacted the auctioneer (Durrants, December 1, 2016 auction, lot 1155) and advised them it was a fake. They refused to remove the item from the auction, and said it was upto the buyer to decide if it was original or not.

Buyer beware...

Keith

Last edited by popskipa; 05-12-16 at 09:12 PM.
Old 06-12-16, 03:03 PM

Copy of my email with Durrants below, and their reply...

Keith

Dear Keith,

Thank you for your email.

We have not stated this Lot is WW11 era. We have said 1942 marked, which it is.

Please see our Terms and Conditions on reproductions.

Kind regards,
Mark Whistler

Durrants Auction Rooms
Peddars Lane
Beccles
Suffolk
NR34 9UE

Tel: 01502 713490
Fax: 01502 711039 Condition Report Disclaimers

You have requested a condition report on the physical condition of a Lot. We are willing to do so as part of the service we provide to our customer, the seller of the Lot however the following terms apply:

· Condition reports may only be used by the person to whom they are addressed and for the sole purpose of assisting that person in the decision of whether or not to bid for a particular Lot.
· By providing a condition report (which is a role we carry out on behalf of our Vendors) we are not entering into a contract with you and we assume no responsibility to you.
· Under the Conditions of Sale applicable to the sale of the Lot, Buyers must satisfy themselves as to each and every aspect and the quality of the Lot, including (without limitation) its authorship, attribution, condition, provenance, authenticity, age, suitability, origin and, in respect of any motor vehicle, its roadworthiness.
· Lots are sold on an "as is" basis but the actual condition of a Lot may not be as good as indicated by its outward appearance. In particular parts may have been replaced or renewed and Lots may not be authentic or of satisfactory quality.
· No representation or warranty is given by Durrants or the Vendor as to the condition, fitness, purpose or satisfactory quality of any Lot. Any statement to that effect is merely an expression of a personal opinion and should not be relied on as an inducement to bid for the Lot.
· Lots are available for inspection prior to the Sale and you are strongly advised to examine any Lot in which you are interested in person, or to consult an independent professional advisor to satisfy yourself prior to bidding.
· Our condition report has not been prepared by a professional conservator, restorer or engineer.
· You acknowledge that in the event of your bidding to purchase the Lot, you do so with no reliance on this condition report and in full acceptance of our Terms and Conditions which can be found in our Catalogues, on our website www.durrants.com and on www.the-saleroom.com

Items described as (PATTERN) are an example of the described item with no guarantee of age or authenticity

..............................................oooo ooooooo........................................... ....

Hello Mark,

Thank you for sending the image.

I can confirm the badge is a fake which has been excessively polished and fitted to the pith helmet with the purpose of deception.

Please advise if the information I have provided will be provided to prospective bidders, or that the helmet has been removed from the sale.

Thank you, Keith
Old 06-12-16, 03:44 PM

Wot a pratt.

1942 marked but hes not stated its WW2.

What else does 1942 imply does he think?

regards

Manchester Regiment Collector
Rank, Prize & Trade Badges
British & Commonwealth Artillery Badges
Old 08-12-16, 05:52 PM

Would you say it was a one off effort? Are there examples of genuine sand cast ones to go by?
Old 14-12-16, 07:24 PM

Default Opinions on my LRDG badge requested

I have recently being researching old forum threads on LRDG cap badges in an effort to ascertain the authenticity of mine without much success given the diversity of opinion on the subject.

Since this thread on the subject is so fresh I thought I would upload photos of my badge to get the opinions of some forum members more knowledgeable in the subject matter.

Thanking you in anticipation.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg LRDG Brass Cap Badge Front.jpg (24.7 KB, 87 views)
File Type: jpg LRDG Brass Cap Badge Side.jpg (19.9 KB, 71 views)
File Type: jpg LRDG Brass Cap Badge Rear.jpg (20.3 KB, 64 views)
Old 14-12-16, 11:36 PM

Harry - sorry not a badge I would want to own...

Keith
Old 17-12-16, 11:49 AM

The fake LRDG badge on solar helmet has turned up on eBay:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1724474306...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Already has a bid on it at its real value 99p!

Prospective buyers beware....

Keith
Old 17-12-16, 03:53 PM

That's really taking the pith!
Old 21-12-16, 08:11 PM

Default It sold!

For £745! Gosh....gosh gosh....
Old 21-12-16, 08:34 PM

I wish the bidders had followed this tread...

The saying "A fool and their money are soon parted" comes to mind.

Keith
Old 21-12-16, 08:36 PM

An expensive mistake, I wonder if it gets posted anywhere for show & tell or opinions any time soon.

Jerry