British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Cavalry, Yeomanry, Tank/RAC Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 15-10-12, 08:29 AM

Default Norfolk Yeomanry

In other words, the EiiR cap badge was worn post 1952.

Rob
Old 15-10-12, 08:38 AM
Super Moderator

Rob,

While the officers may have been enthusiastic and replaced their own badges in 1953 with new q/c ones, ORs took a little longer to be issued. Maj Edwards books show the k/c badge being worn long after 1952 along with many other regts badges.

The change in crown was made when new dies were cut over the decade following the coronation rather than a quick changeover. This is reflected by the various editions of Maj Edwards' books, contempory photos and there has been the AO stating this on the forum before.

Alan
Old 15-10-12, 06:03 PM

Default Norfolk Yeomanry

Here are some photos from the Norfolk (and Suffolk) Yeomany display at the Muckleburgh collection, Weybourne.

Tim
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Norfolk Museum (7).jpg (35.5 KB, 78 views)
File Type: jpg Norfolk Museum (9).jpg (37.0 KB, 74 views)
File Type: jpg Norfolk Museum (6).jpg (40.0 KB, 75 views)

Last edited by grey_green_acorn; 16-10-12 at 07:06 PM.
Old 16-10-12, 05:41 PM

Default QC Norfolk Yeo.

Sorry Alan, my point was that this badge was worn or should have been worn after 1953. I have heard collectors say that they did not think the QC version was ever worn or issued.

No doubt there are photos post 1953 of the GviR badge being worn as there are always exceptions to the rule.

Rob
Old 16-10-12, 05:45 PM
Super Moderator

Rob,

I fully agree with you. I must admit the q/c version remains to be proved fact to me. they certainly exist but whether they are actually Norfolk yeo badges at all has also been questioned.

Alan
Old 16-10-12, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan O View Post
Rob,

I fully agree with you. I must admit the q/c version remains to be proved fact to me. they certainly exist but whether they are actually Norfolk yeo badges at all has also been questioned.

Alan
I am stilling waiting to find a photo that proves too.............A friend contacted MANY MANY post 52 ex Norfolk Yeomary troops and officers.......Asking for a head shot with badge.............didnt get one.
Old 16-10-12, 06:57 PM

Not a regiment I'm familiar with but many regiments didn't get the new post 53 badges for some time. Mentioned in another thread but I can't find it at the mo
Lee

www.khakicolonel.com
Old 17-10-12, 07:25 AM

Default Norfolk Yeomanry

Would this be the proof you need?

Postwarden
Attached Images
File Type: jpg AGRA Norfolk Yeo 1950s Detail JM.jpg (69.5 KB, 91 views)
Old 17-10-12, 07:49 AM
Super Moderator

Lovely but what are the other ranks wearing? As officers badges were made in low numbers and bought privately they were often changed over years ahead of ORs abdges.
Old 17-10-12, 09:05 AM

Default Norfolk Yeomanry

Is the following List of Change info of any use in confirming the use of the QiiR badges?

Stephen.

54/Vocab02.09.53.54/Off17.10.52.
31.10.53. C5569
Badges, Cap. Norfolk Yeomanry. GM (Cat No CB 2994).
1. New Pattern.A pattern (No 15381) of the above-mentioned item has been sealed to govern future manufacture.The new pattern differs from the old (No 11049) (Cat No CB 1265) in that the Royal Cypher is EiiR superimposed by a St. Edwards Crown.The existing Cat No CB 3185 (See C 4717) for the anodised badge will be retained for the new pattern.Badges, Cap. Norfolk Yeomanry. GM (Cat No CB 1265).
2. Obsolete.Consequent upon ‘1’ the above-mentioned item is hereby declared obsolete, but existing stocks will be used up before the new pattern is taken into use.
Old 17-10-12, 09:27 AM
Super Moderator

It confirms that they were authorised to be made but the final line is key. K/C badges were to be used up first. In many cases this took years and it was not until the early 60s that thsi happened. The Norfolk yeomanry was amlgamated and a new a/a badge produced for the new unit.
Old 17-10-12, 10:00 AM

Alan, I'm not so sure that it is quite so 'cut and dry' as that. We have a photo of a Captain wearing the QC badge. If the unit was formally inspected, then the CO should have issued an order that officers will revert to KC variant if not enough QC stock was available or the OR's to wear the QC version to fall-in-line with the officers. It is possible that either badge was worn post coronation. Need more evidence.
Old 17-10-12, 10:09 AM
Super Moderator

There are various sources that state that across the Army a mixture of kc and qc, brass and a/a and even platic were worn in the same unit at the same time in the 50s. The photo shows that officers were wearing q/c badges before amalgamation which is not surprise but as yet no photo of an OR. As you say more investigation required.
Old 17-10-12, 01:35 PM

Default Norfolk Yeomanry

Whilst I try and find the original from which the officer's badge shot was taken the attached from Norman Litchfield's The Territorial Artillery shows the badge in a photo captioned 284th (Norfolk Yeomanry) LAA Regt RA (TA) circa 1960.

Postwarden
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Norfolk Yeo.jpg (107.4 KB, 112 views)
Old 17-10-12, 01:39 PM
Super Moderator

Brilliant. Thanks. So there you are the EIIR cypher is use on a SNCO. That's conclusive proof.

The next question is brass or a/a? The wider brass one on the right is a better match for me.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1010004.jpg (26.4 KB, 32 views)