British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Cavalry, Yeomanry, Tank/RAC Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 16-11-12, 11:23 PM

Default Need Pennant Size for 1868 Pattern Cavalry Lance

So after digging through dozens of postings, I'm at a loss to find this info anywhere.

The basic schematic/drawing of the British 1868 Pattern Lance shows the width of a cavalry pennant at nine and quarter inches on the pole-arm. Is there any reliable resource for the rest of the info required to produce one of these Pennants in an accurate size?

Thanks so much in advance.
Old 17-11-12, 05:22 PM

Hi There
This may be of help. (By the way, it is a Pennon not a pennant). I don't know the date of this pennon. I 'aquired' it in the 70's, (17/21st Lancers), so no idea as to age but most likely modern. In case you can't read the dimensions they are:
length = 24" plus 1 3/4"
Width = 10"
length of 'V' = 18 1/2"
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Pennon.jpg (47.8 KB, 31 views)
Old 17-11-12, 10:58 PM

Default British Lance Pennon dimensions

This photo is not nearly as clear as I would like, but it is original source, and you should be able to read the dimensions. It is specifically for a British 1868 Pattern Lance. The width is 9 1/4", length is 29" and the dimension to the swallow-tail is 9 3/4". Am sure there was a certain manufacturing tolerance, if not shrinkage in active service. The LoC (List of Chages) specifies that the pennon material shall be red and white 'shalloon'. Shalloon defined as a lightweight twilled fabric of wool or worsted. You might also be interested in the following page on my blog; http://arnhemjim.blogspot.com/2011/0...-lance-at.html. Hope this solves your question.
Regards,
Arnhem Jim
Arizona Territory
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Lance Pennon Plan copy.jpg (31.4 KB, 31 views)

Last edited by Arnhemjim; 17-11-12 at 11:24 PM.
Old 18-11-12, 12:20 AM

Thanks so much guys, and, thanks for the schooling on the proper name for this thing too.