British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > South African Military and Police Insignia > General Topics

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 07-12-21, 10:13 AM

Default Help needed with SA Artillery

Hello everyone,

I was wondering if all artillery regiments of the Union Defence Force during the second world war had universal badges/pith flashes. To my knowledge, the universal pith flash/badge replaced the regimental ones in 1940 or 1941. However, officers were still allowed to wear their regimental badges.

This is just a conspiracy, hence why I am asking here just to make sure.

Any help would be appreciated!
Old 14-12-21, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GatinhoDeGato123 View Post
Hello everyone,

I was wondering if all artillery regiments of the Union Defence Force during the second world war had universal badges/pith flashes. To my knowledge, the universal pith flash/badge replaced the regimental ones in 1940 or 1941. However, officers were still allowed to wear their regimental badges.

This is just a conspiracy, hence why I am asking here just to make sure.

Any help would be appreciated!
An interesting question. From what I have seen the Regimental Flashes and Regimental badges seemed to go out early in the War and most of the chaps wore the universal SA Artillery Badge on the front of their pith helmets without a side flash at all. On occasion regimental badges were worn by the older Territorial regimental chaps. One would think that it was easier to issue the standard badge as there was a lot of swapping between regiments as well. Chaps who went on leave or hospitalized did not always return to their units especially after losses to regiments that had taken large losses ie Transvaal Horse Artillery. The Reserve units supplied chaps on demand.

Not really a great help but just my observation

Brian

Tags
artillery, south african artillery, ww2, wwii