British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Cavalry, Yeomanry, Tank/RAC Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 24-09-21, 05:15 PM

Default East Riding Yeomanry

I would appreciate your thoughts on the attached badge.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg s-l1600-2.jpg (46.6 KB, 126 views)
File Type: jpg s-l1600-3.jpg (52.0 KB, 72 views)

Last edited by rboorman; 24-09-21 at 05:18 PM. Reason: added reverse side picture.
Old 24-09-21, 06:32 PM

His other items for sale with this on ebay at present look o.k not my field but looks fine and not one that i have seen being reproduced/faked in any numbers Lettering/font slightly rounded not sure if reason for concern
£50.00 at present

Last edited by 49lassiepen; 24-09-21 at 06:38 PM. Reason: addition
Old 24-09-21, 06:57 PM
LYPAO Boff

.... I have a vague memory of this possibly being a 2nd Boer War badge .... not sure?

"A Yeoman from the Stalwart Rural Cavalry"
Lechyd da pob Cymro
Old 25-09-21, 10:06 AM

Badge sold for £128.50 , in my opinion not expensive for a badge you don't see very often -especially if Boar War
Old 26-09-21, 07:36 PM

Hmm, don't know about anything about this badge but 2nd Boer war was 11/10/1899 to 31/05/1902 and the East Riding Yeomanry wasn't raised until 1903. The initial badge was a plain fox (pic attached) and the motto Forrard wasn't added until after 1920....

I know this because coincidentally I picked up the two examples in the attached picture at an antiques fair last weekend for £3 each and have been reading up on them. I've seen them go for £20 on eBay, a trader currently has one for £75 on their website and some numpty has just listed one on eBay for £99.99 - how on earth do you go about determining what something is worth?!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_4636.jpg (51.3 KB, 85 views)
Old 26-09-21, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterB View Post
Hmm, don't know about anything about this badge but 2nd Boer war was 11/10/1899 to 31/05/1902 and the East Riding Yeomanry wasn't raised until 1903. The initial badge was a plain fox (pic attached) and the motto Forrard wasn't added until after 1920....

I know this because coincidentally I picked up the two examples in the attached picture at an antiques fair last weekend for £3 each and have been reading up on them. I've seen them go for £20 on eBay, a trader currently has one for £75 on their website and some numpty has just listed one on eBay for £99.99 - how on earth do you go about determining what something is worth?!
Those two are sadly worth about £3 each as they are fakes. Note hose the nose and tongue has a Scooby Doo look and both fore and hind legs are solid.

The same pattern was worn by the ERYIY on the cap and also as facing collars into WW1.

Here is a genuine slidered badge:
https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/fo...ctureid=191104

A genuine example would retail at circa £65 on a ‘reputable’ dealers list, some however will charge more and a few a lot more. Some badges are marked Smith & Wright which I suspect to be WW1 vintage, I’d expect more would be asked for such a marked badge.

Personally I’ve never paid for than £23 for one.
Old 27-09-21, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterB View Post

They were raised in 1902 and adopted the motto at the same time. I would advise you not to rely too much on Gaylor's book for historical accuracy.
Old 27-09-21, 07:16 PM

Default ERIY

Not sure I goth thoughts on the ‘Mounted Scouts’ element of the badge I enquired about?
Old 11-01-22, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rboorman View Post
Not sure I goth thoughts on the ‘Mounted Scouts’ element of the badge I enquired about?
I’m reliably informed it is an arm badge worn by the ERIY 1903-08 and featured in a paperback on history of the ERY. Afraid I do not have the publication name.
Old 11-01-22, 11:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke H View Post
I’m reliably informed it is an arm badge worn by the ERIY 1903-08 and featured in a paperback on history of the ERY. Afraid I do not have the publication name.
Luke,

i have a copy of the book, `Yeomanry of the East Riding` by Ian Sumner and Roy Wilson. Badge is illustrated and identified as `arm badge for mounted scouts, worn before the first world war`. Later in the book it explains the idea came from Baden-Powell who introduced the concept into the army of mounted scouts when he commanded the 5th DG in South Africa circa 1897. Each regiment was to have a number of men specifically trained in scouting techniques, and the regulation badge introduced in 1905 was a fleur-de-lys. The ERY badge however consisted of the fox, running to the right with the motto `FORRAD!`. The note specifically mention the ! at the end of FORRAD not seen on the cap / collar badges but gives no explanation for it. Anyone have any ideas?

Dave
Old 12-01-22, 12:56 AM

Thanks for confirming Dave.

Well as scouts I suppose they had to get Forrad a bit quicker ‘!’

An interesting embellished. Sadly I expect anyone who knew has long since passed.

Is the picture one of the badge itself or it in wear may I ask?
Old 12-01-22, 08:51 AM

I would think it derives from the huntsman call to urge on the hounds - "Hark forrard" but as to no "!" ?
Old 12-01-22, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke H View Post
Thanks for confirming Dave.

Well as scouts I suppose they had to get Forrad a bit quicker ‘!’

An interesting embellished. Sadly I expect anyone who knew has long since passed.

Is the picture one of the badge itself or it in wear may I ask?
Luke,
badge is amongst a display of other badges so not on a uniform i`m afraid. Cannot recall ever seeing it actually being worn.