British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Royal Navy and Royal Marines

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 11-05-22, 03:41 PM

Default The Zeebrugge Shield

Last weekend I happened across this shield which consists of a chromed K/C Royal Marine helmet plate, a Q/C Royal Marine beret badge and a plate which reads "ZEEBRUGGE SHIELD, Presented to Marine Det, T.S. Hawk 1967, By Edw.P. Cassidy R.M.L.I., Lewis Gunner HMS Iris, April 1918".

I have had a look online and have found no reference to a Zeebrugge Shield.

Can anyone tell me please what this shield was presented for, whether or not it is correct or if it is a put together item.

For the sake of full disclosure, if it is decided that this item is of sufficient merit it will be offered for sale on this forum.

Eric
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC_0857 (2).jpg (87.3 KB, 90 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_0858 (2).jpg (51.4 KB, 39 views)
Old 11-05-22, 03:50 PM

I cannot say anything about it originality, but I would think it was presented to a marine who participated in the Zeebrugge Raid. One thing does stand out and that is the engraved plaque has part of the lion from the lower badge on it. Perhaps it was added after the badge was presented and even possible it was one of the recipients badges - but of course all speculation.

Terry
Old 11-05-22, 05:18 PM

Would TS be Training Ship and if so would it relate to an actual ship for training, a shore station or a cadet unit. Perhapes presented to the cadets in 1967 by a veteran of the 1918 raid? Regards, Paul.
Old 11-05-22, 05:23 PM

Rrsearch so far - HMS IRIS 2 - was a river Liverpool ferry obtained by the Royal Navy for use in the Zeebrugge raid.

HMS Vindictive also on the raid.

So there is the link.

Still trying to find out what TS HAWK is . . .

Last edited by bess55; 11-05-22 at 06:05 PM.
Old 11-05-22, 11:30 PM

Hi

A wild guess here but often these "shields" are presented to units, etc. for use in some competition (athletics, shooting, drill, etc.) or even for something less strenuous like bowling or darts.

I've seen examples named after individuals and got one or two here myself (collected, not won!). The early ones are wonderfully tasteful whereas some have clearly checked in good taste at the door as they entered the room....
Old 12-05-22, 08:13 AM

TS Hawk most likely Training Ship as Paul (Wardog) has already noted. When we were old enough (12 I think) my twin and I joined TS Deva (Chester) RM Detachment after a year in the Army Cadets.

Last edited by Mike B; 13-05-22 at 07:06 AM.
Old 12-05-22, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wardog View Post
Would TS be Training Ship and if so would it relate to an actual ship for training, a shore station or a cadet unit. Perhapes presented to the cadets in 1967 by a veteran of the 1918 raid? Regards, Paul.
Could TS be connected to the 17th Frigate Squadron ?

Quote:
During its existence, the squadron included Type 15 and Whitby-class frigates. The squadron served as the Dartmouth Training Squadron for cadets at Britannia Royal Naval College.

The main task of the squadron was to train officer cadets in basic ship experience. Sea time experience was given also to young Royal Marine officers and Engine Room Artificer apprentices. There were three cruises a year which coincided with the terms at Dartmouth College. These cruises usually alternated between the Mediterranean and the Baltic. The squadron was disbanded in 1972.
Also found a mention in a 1960 edition of "Navy News" :

Quote:
Three frigates of the Dartmouth Training Squadron left Plymouth on February 1st with 160 cadets and mid-shipmen from the Britania Naval College Dartmouth , and young Royal Marine Officers for their spring cruise to the West Indies.
Is it possible each "cruise" was given an operational name/title or that the Marine Detachment(s) were given an award for being top in an "exercise" ?

Poppy and British Legion Wanted
Old 12-05-22, 08:36 PM

I think that there is little doubt that this shield was presented by a Zeebrugge veteran to the Marine Cadet detachment at a Sea Cadet Unit - TS (Training Ship) Hawk. My son is a Sea Cadet at TS Indomitable. His unit is too small to have a Marine Cadet detachment but many in the local area do and some have done since the 1950s.

The shield certainly has the look of something produced in the late-1960s from a local trophy shop. The King's Crown helmet plate may have belonged to the Zeebrugge veteran if he continued to serve post-1923. Or it may have just been one that was found and added to the shield. The more modern Queens Crown beret badge also suggests this - and it's also the badge worn by Marine Cadets.

Unfortunately Sea Cadet Units are listed under their location rather than their TS name - and there are over 400 of them! And it's possible that TS Hawk no longer exists.

As has been said before, such shields were often presented to various SCC units for excellence in competitions in drill, shooting, etc. Just because it's called the Zeebrugge Shield I wouldn't read too much into it! Though I'm very sure that the Marine Cadet detachment that received it were very proud of it - especially as it was presented by a Zeebrugge veteran.

Royal Navy training establishments are always HMS whatever - never TS whatever. And the RN doesn't operate any vessels named TS whatever either. When I was at Dartmouth I went on a Training Cruise on HMS Fearless - it wasn't renamed TS Fearless simply because it was being used for training!

Pete
'It is upon the Navy, under the good providence of God, that the Wealth, Prosperity and Peace of these islands and of the Empire do mainly depend' - Preamble to the Articles of War in the reign of Charles II
Old 12-05-22, 10:19 PM

It looks like some Cap Tallys are TS -----SCC but after a quick google some may use a Sea Cadet Corps Tally. It will be interesting to know how far the practice of linking to a ship or establishment goes back, to try and find a town link to the plaque. Regards, Paul.
(seems odd that it is not easy to find a list of SCC units- the Sea Cadet website only lets you search by postcode unless i'm missing something.)

Last edited by wardog; 12-05-22 at 10:35 PM.
Old 13-05-22, 11:54 AM

Red face

Deleted post as I was on wrong track !

Was looking at NTC "training ships".

http://www.ntc.org.uk/timeline.html

Poppy and British Legion Wanted

Last edited by mike_vee; 13-05-22 at 12:38 PM.
Old 13-05-22, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bess55 View Post
Rrsearch so far - HMS IRIS 2 - was a river Liverpool ferry obtained by the Royal Navy for use in the Zeebrugge raid.

HMS Vindictive also on the raid.

So there is the link.

Still trying to find out what TS HAWK is . . .
When i was a Marine cadet we used to have the Liverpool Zeebrugge parade on board the preceding Royal Iris on the Mersey with the RMR. A great parade, i still remember it !
Old 13-05-22, 04:12 PM

Yes, it's really odd that Sea Cadet Units aren't listed by Unit name - and very frustrating! Apparently many SCUs acquired their name during the Second World War and the names are linked to local Warship Weeks. When a town adopted a warship the local Sea Cadets took the name for their 'training ship' too.

And, as I said, there have been nearly 400 Sea Cadet Units over the years, although many are long since gone. That also doesn't help to attach a name to a particular location.

Pete
'It is upon the Navy, under the good providence of God, that the Wealth, Prosperity and Peace of these islands and of the Empire do mainly depend' - Preamble to the Articles of War in the reign of Charles II
Old 13-05-22, 05:51 PM

The search box on the SCC site does take a town name and gives the nearest units. Unless they don't use TS ---- SCC as an address, it looks like most don't have a ship name. Regards, Paul.
PS Dead end searching by town- I found Gosport is TS Hornet but they look to use Gosport on their Cap Tally and don't mention Hornet on their address on the SCC site.

Last edited by wardog; 13-05-22 at 06:11 PM.
Old 13-05-22, 10:02 PM

Through interest my unit at Nottingham is TS Orion. The unit i was with as a cadet was TS Revenge (Wirral Merseyside) That unit changed to TS Astute. As been said units will have the name of the town and SCC or TS whatever on thier tallys. Sometimes the SCC use different short term tallys for events or units or camps at sea.
Old 13-05-22, 10:13 PM

My son was at TS Orion recently doing a First Aid course. They have a wondeful set-up there and a great location on the River Trent. His unit (TS Indomitable) is at Long Eaton and, although they are an excellent unit, they are rather short of space!

Pete