British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Infantry (& Guards) Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 07-07-08, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLIZZARD View Post
David
Bosley's have been in fact still are selling off the vast collection of the late Hugh King are you saying that Hugh's badges contained fakes also? I myself have been lucky enough to be the new owner of some of Hugh's collection and I can assure you that they are spot on and so is Stephen Bosley he would spot a fake from fifty miles off they are 100%.
BLIZZARD
Blizzard,

Whilst I accept and respect where you're coming from Mr Bosley is only human and mistakes will be made. Not all the badges Bosleys sell are from the Hugh King collection many come from elsewhere so there is the chance for error albeit small.

Besides what is an expert any way apart from someone who's handled a lot of badges, at the end of the day its just his opinion that something is either right or wrong not really different in essence to any collector on or off the forum's view. The only difference is experience, he's handled a lot lot lot more badges and spoken to people in the know back in the day.

I personally don't think any badge should be bought solely on a dealers or auction houses gaurentee or say so as there is the possibility for mistake to be made. My maxim is if I don't like it or am unsure I don't touch it regardless of what an expert may tell me.

Luke
Old 08-07-08, 07:38 AM
BLIZZARD

Cool refund

Hi Luke
The main thing is when buying from well known auctioneers sauch as Bosley's if by any small chance(and it is a very small chance)they will after examining it and if finding it fake they will return your money without any argument.
BLIZZARD
Old 08-07-08, 08:55 AM

Hi Blizzard,
It is not Bosleys or any other reputable Auction House that is the problem it is the deplorable ,lying scum bags that claim to have bought their wares from those reputable sources and attempt to sell them under that premise when in some cases it is patiently obvious that they have not.
Regards
Bantam
Old 08-07-08, 09:13 AM

Location: In Luxembourg for the last 20 years and staying. They take much better care of us here....
Default Porported to be Genuine Remarks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bantam View Post
Hi Blizzard,
It is not Bosleys or any other reputable Auction House that is the problem it is the deplorable ,lying scum bags that claim to have bought their wares from those reputable sources and attempt to sell them under that premise when in some cases it is patiently obvious that they have not.
Regards
Bantam
Bantam,
Totally agree. That is exactly the point I was trying to get across.
Its the E..y "source" claims that are annoying, especially when its seems obvious from the pictures of the item being sold, thats its "wrong". Some of the "silver" marked badges were bought by me based on this claim.
Rgds, David
Old 08-07-08, 01:10 PM
BLIZZARD

Default I agree

Bantam
Of course I whole- heartedly with what you say quite honestly unless I have known dealers a number of years I always fight shy of them I have about five dealers who I trust implicitly and know what they are selling are as genuine as can be they are also men who want to keep thier reputation intact
I only ever enter auctions at Bosleys and Wallis and Wallis thankfully I have not had any dud's yet . But to be fair there are also a few honest people on Ebay with Ebay it is a matter of useing your knowledge and following your nose. The dealers I deal with have become firm friends over the years and if they have anything they get in touch but I only collect items of my former regiment the Worcestershire Regiment which makes it a little easier than if you collect across the board.
BLIZZARD
Old 08-07-08, 03:01 PM

Hi Dave ,here is a hallmarked badge for you, regards alan
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P7080099 (Small).JPG (50.4 KB, 22 views)
File Type: jpg P7080101 (Small).JPG (23.8 KB, 25 views)
Old 08-07-08, 04:12 PM

alan g,
Nice Badge converted to broach fitting.
Diolch
Bantam
Old 08-07-08, 04:16 PM

yes nicely detailed ,hallmark is 1903
Old 09-07-08, 08:50 AM
BLIZZARD

Smile Badge or broach

Alan
Your badge could also be a broach lots of Victorian officers had them made for their girlfreinds and wives very much identical to the actual badge
BLIZZARD
Old 13-07-08, 02:17 PM
Member 2008-16- Rest in Peace

Default 5th London

Quote:
Originally Posted by alan g View Post
Hi Dave ,here is a hallmarked badge for you, regards alan
Hello Alan, that's gorgeous, it knocks mine into a cocked hat, so to speak the voiding is of a different standard all together, nice one
All the best,
Dave.

Tags
london regiment officers, silver