British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Infantry (& Guards) Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 03-12-23, 10:32 AM

Smile

Thanks for looking Mike - Mr Brown was probably listed then as being in service before 1958.
I love looking into the history of items I have but unfortunately there is only so much you can do without a 'time machine'!!!!
Old 03-12-23, 11:30 AM

The Chronicles even have a subscriber list at the front besides have the Army list for that year . He isnt on there either.

Ill check the badge sizes for you later on.
I have a full size in HMed silver that has been converted to screwposts. In the beret size,silver,silver plate and anodised.

There is some very interesting stuff regarding OBLI uniform and badges.
Old 05-12-23, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herman the Tank View Post
Leigh - thank you for that info.

Would it be more 'correct' then if I take the slivered badge that is on the 50's beret off and place it on my OBLI dark green side cap that I also have - would that then be correct for a WW2 side cap?

I would leave the beret and badge be, they may well be an original valid pairing.
The badge may also be correct for the sidecap but can the sidecap be dated to a period when the shoulder title/collar badge would have been worn? Personally, if I have a cap which hasn't had a badge fitted then rather than make holes in it and put a badge on it I simply show the appropriate badge with and not fitted to the cap. Others will happily stick a badge on a cap, all down to personal preference.
Old 05-12-23, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leigh kitchen View Post
I would leave the beret and badge be, they may well be an original valid pairing.
The badge may also be correct for the sidecap but can the sidecap be dated to a period when the shoulder title/collar badge would have been worn? Personally, if I have a cap which hasn't had a badge fitted then rather than make holes in it and put a badge on it I simply show the appropriate badge with and not fitted to the cap. Others will happily stick a badge on a cap, all down to personal preference.
Leigh I see your point - I will leave well alone.

The 'Headdress' link you posted with info/instructions on the cap badges and head dress wearing is a bit confusing to me on one section.

What is the difference when 'Lieutenant Colonel commanding I.T.C' is referring to head dress between the:

Service cap and Field service cap? - I thought they were the same?

Wearing of the Service cap it says 'worn on the side of the head'
While the Field Service cap says ''worn on the centre of the head'

I don't understand???

Sorry if I am being 'thick' here.
Old 05-12-23, 04:41 PM

No, I'm confused too, the references appear to be to the Khaki Field Service Cap and to the Coloured (green) Field Service Cap, both sidecaps but which are worn at different angles?

Unless the Service Cap reference is to the General Service Cap that baggy, beret type item having its ""bag" pulled over to the right, like a beret?
Old 05-12-23, 05:03 PM

Doesn't make a great deal of sense does it?

As I thought that the side cap that was 'Green' wasn't issued until the early 1950's?

'The Green Cap' they are referring to must be the 'General service cap' (baggy beret type) like you mention - but I didn't think they had coloured Green ones at that time? - all the ones I have had have been khaki.

No wonder the war went on so long - lol
Old 05-12-23, 05:16 PM

The Green Cap will be the green coloured sidecap - the Coloured Field Service Cap, they came into wear by WWII, the Lightbobs site says 1927.
The green berets came into wear around 1950.
The GS Cap was khaki not green (though of course, there's the caubeen, a similar headgear in green worn by some Irish regiments and still in wear by the Royal Irish Regiment).
Old 05-12-23, 05:42 PM

If the General service cap was only in khaki for the OBLI, then the 'Green coloured Field Service Cap worn on the centre of the head' which they refer to has to be a side cap, but as you say worn at a different angle to the khaki side cap.

They must have had issued 2 caps perhaps?
Old 05-12-23, 06:23 PM

The Khaki sidecaps were issued, the green ones private purchase (unless the Oxf & Bucks LI and possibly the other LI regiments had official sanction and supply prior to WWII, I've forgotten all this stuff).
Old 09-01-24, 12:10 PM

Hi everyone and Happy new year to you all.

I am back to this thread now all the 'festive' stuff has gone (thank god)

Still investigating and I think where we got to is that the 'badge' I have is a 'Silver 2 loop shoulder title' badge that could have been worn on a field service cap & general service cap 1927 to 1946.

So my next question is: is the badge I have an early solid silver badge or one of the ones that was issued/supplied from the quartermaster I.T.C and silvered in the 40's?
Old 09-01-24, 06:49 PM

Happy New Year Herman

The badge you describe seems to be the generic bugle with 2 lugs, either Pattern 10011 or 10011a, in GM for regular troops and WM for Volunteers until 1908 - although there are as ever exceptions.

If it is plated GM the lugs will be the same metal colour as the badge.

If it is WM the lugs will be a different colour as per the attached example.

If it is silver I believe it should mark paper like a pencil - although the silver Oxf Bucks FSC badges I have are of a slightly different pattern, as per the top example.

I suspect that despite the directives from Scarlet Majors in RHQ, QMs would have obtained the WM pattern from stores rather than having them plated at Regimental expense. There are loads of these knocking about. A couple of years ago my local surplus shop had some 'new' and unissued right facing ones which had come from MOD stores - there were no left facing ones so perhaps the Oxf Bucks QMs had had them all years ago!

If anyone on the forum does have a WM plated GM, or a solid silver version of the generic pattern, we would very much like to see an image.

IMG_9758.jpg

IMG_9754.jpg

IMG_9756.jpg

Last edited by NewCollector; 09-01-24 at 06:54 PM. Reason: Missing Digit
Old 09-01-24, 11:44 PM

[QUOTE=NewCollector;617226]Happy New Year Herman

A couple of years ago my local surplus shop had some 'new' and unissued right facing ones which had come from MOD stores - there were no left facing ones so perhaps the Oxf Bucks QMs had had them all years ago!

I acquired a bunch of these a few years ago - all old new ex MOD stock.

Tim
Attached Images
File Type: jpg LI BUGLE WM (1).jpg (79.2 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg LI BUGLE WM (2).jpg (82.4 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg LI BUGLE WM (3).jpg (78.2 KB, 6 views)
Old 10-01-24, 09:16 AM

[QUOTE=grey_green_acorn;617234]
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewCollector View Post
Happy New Year Herman

A couple of years ago my local surplus shop had some 'new' and unissued right facing ones which had come from MOD stores - there were no left facing ones so perhaps the Oxf Bucks QMs had had them all years ago!

I acquired a bunch of these a few years ago - all old new ex MOD stock.

Tim
That's the one Tim. Old new describes them perfectly. Assuming these weren't made after the three-lug Pattern 7232 was sealed in 1910 they look very sprightly for centenarians.
Old 10-01-24, 10:15 AM

Thanks for that chaps - the badge I have is different to those shown.

I have take some photos for you to look at - please be aware the badge is not the cheapo monkey metal variety polished up.

https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/fo...1&d=1704881606

Thoughts please?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_8615.jpg (22.5 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_8617.jpg (97.9 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_8619.jpg (75.1 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_8620.jpg (85.2 KB, 13 views)
Old 10-01-24, 11:50 AM

A locally made "bazaar" cast badge?