British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Everything Else > Other Military Topics

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 24-05-20, 08:33 AM

Thanks for that info, not the find I was thinking of but equally as interesting.

I may have read of the find in a bulletin of "The Soke Military Collectors Club" (based in Peterborough), an opened, partially filled box found in the loft of a cottage or farm house I think it was.

Last edited by leigh kitchen; 24-05-20 at 08:42 AM.
Old 24-05-20, 08:51 AM

I do remember a box of these tins being found a few years ago in mint state, I thought their contents were the handsome bullet pencils and there were subsequently a few on the market afterwards.
Old 24-05-20, 08:58 AM

Just looking at the link in post 14 and I think that is the one I remember as the tins in that box do appear to contain the Asprey pencils
Old 24-05-20, 09:05 AM

I've got one, the tin has a card that holds the pencil to stop it rattling about and damaging it, there's also a film, probably with the iwm that shows officer's at 3 or 4 tables with the tins on one tobacco or cigarettes on another and other items on last one or two, I can't rember where I saw it but it was a long time ago.
Old 24-05-20, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_vee View Post
"The box will finally be opened later this month by Lady Emma Kitchener at the Chalke Valley History Festival in Salisbury. A number of the tins will be auctioned off for £300 - £350 during the event - with the proceeds going to charity."
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Kelley View Post
Just looking at the link in post 14 and I think that is the one I remember as the tins in that box do appear to contain the Asprey pencils
Found a clip of Lady Kitchener opening the box and the tins definitely contained the 'bullet pencils'.

Lady Emma Kitchener opens Princess Mary Gift Boxes from WW1

Poppy and British Legion Wanted
Old 24-05-20, 02:04 PM

Trust Julian Fellows to be on hand, as a family member, but, the condition of the tins and the Asprey pencils is as good as you can ever hope to get.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_vee View Post
Found a clip of Lady Kitchener opening the box and the tins definitely contained the 'bullet pencils'.

Lady Emma Kitchener opens Princess Mary Gift Boxes from WW1