British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Infantry (& Guards) Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 19-01-16, 03:13 PM

Default Is this a fat cat Leicestershire?

Hi All,

Is this a fat cat, or is it just my eyes?

Cheers,

Phil
Attached Images
File Type: jpg tmp_31557-IMAG08231771479461.jpg (40.6 KB, 200 views)
Old 19-01-16, 05:36 PM
Former Member

Phil,

Yep!

A Podgy Pussy!

Andy
Old 19-01-16, 05:39 PM

Cheers Andy I was hoping it was. Happy days
Old 20-01-16, 02:40 AM

Talking

Hi Phil,

Andy is spot on it is indeed a fat cat.

Belly sloping to the knees is a tell tale sign in Tigers and humans !

Cheers Dean
Old 20-01-16, 03:24 AM

Is a "fat cat" of interest due to being scarce? Is it a type found with small round sweat holes? A type by a certain manufacture? Also I have seen mention of a "kitten faced" badge. Any further info on these types??? Cheers, Paul.
Old 20-01-16, 05:50 AM

Hi Paul,

IMO these are manufacturers variations. Ticker Riley has done some work tracing the different Tiger badge through to manufacturers and some via their flaws etc. Hard to date the different variations of course but does help sort the copies out.

It is interesting but have not ascribed a rarity equals greater value view myself, cheers Dean.
Old 25-01-16, 10:55 AM

Cheer Dean. Regards, Paul.
Old 25-01-16, 11:24 AM

Thank you all
Old 25-01-16, 12:14 PM

Well done, Phil. Nice find, and well spotted.
Old 25-01-16, 07:15 PM

Shame the Leinster is a pile o shite
Old 25-01-16, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil2M View Post
Shame the Leinster is a pile o shite
LANGUAGE, TIMOTHY!!!
Old 30-01-16, 01:44 PM

Default Phil's 'fat-cat'!

Hello Phil

Thought I’d add to the confirmation that the badge in question is that which is referred to as a ‘fat-cat’ type, for obvious reasons – if I remember correctly it was actually Andy (2747andy) who was the first to use this phrase on the Forum, and as it so aptly describes its features I think it has rather stuck!

As to the question Paul (wardog) raises about scarcity and value, I do not personally think this type is particularly rare, though I have noted some fairly high prices being asked by some for such badges.

I do have a couple of these ‘fat-cats’, but I’m currently reviewing my badges and trying to organise them better, so can’t put my hands on them straight away I’m afraid. Nonetheless, if my memory serves me correctly they do come with very small round braze holes, with a 1-2 arrangement (that is a single braze hole behind the top scroll, and two on the bottom one), as well as with larger round braze holes at a 2-2 arrangement and some without any braze holes at all.

My current thinking is that they are of First World War period manufacture, though I have yet to decide which kind of braze holes are earlier (I’m inclined to think it is probably the smaller ones), or whether those without holes come first chronologically or after those with them (I realise the general view is those without braze holes are always later, but I am not convinced of this).

Regarding the ‘kitten-faced’ type, a term I learnt from another collector of Leicesters badges, an example of this manufacturers’ variant has recently been posted by Jelly Terror here. These are one of the most common of the different makers’ variations, and many would certainly date from the Great War, though, as I mentioned on JT’s thread, I personally think those of this type with small narrowish braze holes are actually pre-war.

Whilst I am still to identify this particular maker, I do know that whoever they were they also made tiger cap badges for the Uppingham and Oakham OTCs (more on this another time), and I am inclined to believe that they continued to make badges for the Leicesters at least up to, and probably during, the Second World War.

In any event, once I have finished my listing and re-arranging I’ll try and put something up on the Forum about the different types I’ve identified, including those that I have ascribed to certain manufacturers. Until then,

Best regards

Martin

“Scutelliphiliacus in vestri insignia pergaudete”

Last edited by 'Ticker' Riley; 30-01-16 at 03:21 PM.
Old 09-05-16, 08:05 PM

Only just saw your reply, Martin. Thank you very much for such an informative reply. Sorry for the delay in responding.

Phil

Tags
leicestershire, leicestershire regiment