British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Common Forums > New Member Introduction Zone

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 14-11-16, 09:20 AM

Many thanks for the interesting and most useful info on the Bde. The Rhodesian African Rifles and other Rhodesian units also served under command of this Bde. Have attached a photo of Platoon WO Pisayi who won the MM in Malaya and a tunic I have in the collection to an RAR man where the Bde badge is being worn for interest.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PWO Pisayi MM.jpg (36.3 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg RAR jungle green tunic Malaya.jpg (45.0 KB, 18 views)
Old 14-11-16, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madziro View Post
Many thanks for the interesting and most useful info on the Bde. The Rhodesian African Rifles and other Rhodesian units also served under command of this Bde. Have attached a photo of Platoon WO Pisayi who won the MM in Malaya and a tunic I have in the collection to an RAR man where the Bde badge is being worn for interest.
Great pics, what colour are the brigade arm badges on the bush jacket please? They look white on blue backings.

Jerry
Old 15-11-16, 12:20 PM

Jerry, the patches are white on green. Have attached a close up of the patch on its own for interest. Regards. Dudley
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 17 Gurkha Div.jpg (68.7 KB, 5 views)
Old 15-11-16, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madziro View Post
Jerry, the patches are white on green. Have attached a close up of the patch on its own for interest. Regards. Dudley
Thanks for the extra pic Dudley. Clears this up I think.

Jerry
Old 15-11-16, 01:46 PM

I believe (sources are contradictory) that the initial plan on the formation of 17 Gurkha Division in 1948 was to number the three Brigades 1, 2 and 3. But, with an eye to recent history, it was decided instead to perpetuate the three Brigades that made up 17 Indian Division in WW2; 48, 63 and 99 Brigades. It was further agreed that the background colour for the Brigades would follow the backing colours of the components of a British (and British-Indian?) Infantry Division of WW2 ie Senior Infantry Brigade -Red - Second (or Intermediate) Infantry Brigade - Green - Third (or Junior) Infantry Brigade - Brown. But this neat plan will have been thrown into confusion by the fact that the Divisional sign was white kukris on Green - and then complicated by the appearance of 26 Gurkha Brigade on the scene. This resulted in a variant of the standard sign appearing on a black ground and the assertion in Howard Coles Badges on Battledress (Third Edition Aug 53) that "The background [to the 17 Gurkha Division sign] is now dark blue". What is clear - to me at least - is that in 1965 the printed formation sign of 48 Gurkha Inf Bde was white on red and that of 99 Gurkha Inf Bde was white on brown - so some of the initial plan survived. Mike
Old 15-11-16, 02:19 PM

Mike,

I have the 49 edition which states;

The Gurkha Brigade wears a badge of the same design as the war-time 43rd Lorried Infantry Brigade which was crossed kukris in white on a dark green background. The background is now dark blue.

The anecdotal evidence provided by the former members is good enough for me, though remembering both memories and written sources can be wrong.

Obviously as clear as mud.

Jerry
Old 15-11-16, 03:48 PM

Jerry,
Thanks. White crossed kukris on a green rectangle, whilst not seen every day, are not uncommon - both the printed issue sign and the embroidered ones made by garrison and camp tailors. But who has ever seen a convincing sign on a blue background? Examples of 17 Gurkha Div sign attached - the first worn by the-then Sgt NO Miller R Signals, 17 Div Signal Regt, 1956-58. The sign on BD was worn on the right arm. Mike
17 Gurkha Div_Sgt NO Miller R Signals_1956-58.jpg17 Gurkha Div.01.jpg17 Gurkha Div_RA_2Lt_Kukris on Right Arm.jpg
Old 15-11-16, 05:02 PM

Mike,

Agreed, red, black and brown are commonly seen, I have red & black, green are seen but tend to be a bit more expensive, but as you say, blue are not a version I remember seeing.

I need two greens to restore to a 1/SWB bd, assuming that even in Malaya they would have both bd & kd uniforms with them. Otherwise I have to get 11th infantry brigade battleaxe patches for Germany in 59.

The bd is 53 dated and issued so Malaya is perhaps more likely.

Jerry
Old 18-11-16, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBBOND View Post
It does seem to show them being worn on both arms by 1/SWB. I'll have to add a flaming arrrrsssse hole to my collection one day
You will find an embroidered on felt example of the "flaming xxxxhole" sign on RBJ Militaria. Mike