British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Infantry (& Guards) Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 11-08-21, 07:33 AM

Default RWF and Hampshire GM Economy Badges

Hi all. I have picked these badges up recently and they seem OK to me. The sliders are very strong and they look like clear strikes, however I am aware that these have been reproduced so would be interested in other opinions. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Many thanks.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20210811_082640.jpg (77.6 KB, 48 views)
File Type: jpg 20210811_082657.jpg (76.8 KB, 44 views)
File Type: jpg 20210811_082704.jpg (60.6 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg 20210811_082716.jpg (62.8 KB, 121 views)
File Type: jpg 20210811_082734.jpg (58.4 KB, 50 views)
Old 11-08-21, 07:47 AM

Hants is fine. RWF is the repro with die flaw running through the word Royal.
Old 13-08-21, 11:45 AM

I do like the Hampshire Regiment, sadly, these particular RWF do seem to be turning up more and more these days in collections, people make an assumption that they are original, but, no matter, there are a great many original examples to be found.
This was last years harvest, bought along the coastline from Chester down to Caernarfon between lockdowns, all typically well worn, different and yet, very similar, have fun collecting!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitace41 View Post
Hi all. I have picked these badges up recently and they seem OK to me. The sliders are very strong and they look like clear strikes, however I am aware that these have been reproduced so would be interested in other opinions. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Many thanks.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1030573.jpg (63.2 KB, 66 views)

Last edited by Frank Kelley; 13-08-21 at 11:57 AM.
Old 19-08-21, 08:49 AM

Thank you for the replies chaps. I had no idea about the die flaw in the RWF badges, but glad the Hants is ok.
Old 19-08-21, 01:12 PM

There are quite a few (genuine) badges with flaws. Mostly from a dent in the die. I'll show some examples when I get home.
Old 09-09-21, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Kelley View Post
I do like the Hampshire Regiment, sadly, these particular RWF do seem to be turning up more and more these days in collections, people make an assumption that they are original, but, no matter, there are a great many original examples to be found.
This was last years harvest, bought along the coastline from Chester down to Caernarfon between lockdowns, all typically well worn, different and yet, very similar, have fun collecting!
In the mid to late 1950s there were hundreds of these badges unissued in thick brown cardboard boxes within the clothing store of Hightown Barracks, Wrexham. In an attempt to make use of them they were issued to trainee soldiers undergoing punishment (jankers) as a convenient means of marking out individuals who could be quickly selected by NCOs to carry out menial tasks. When the Welsh Brigade was formed and brigade cap badges issued the remaining stocks of the all brass RWF badges, which was still plentiful, were backloaded through the Ordnance chain for disposal. They had been in store at Wrexham since WW1.
Old 10-09-21, 05:18 PM

The Glasgow Museum has a collection of the new TF badges in the area - sealed in 1916. The quality of these badges is very poor - probably made in great haste, not surprisingly !
Old 12-09-21, 03:41 PM

I would certainly be very unhappy with the example in the original post, I have yet to see one with an acceptable provenance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toby Purcell View Post
In the mid to late 1950s there were hundreds of these badges unissued in thick brown cardboard boxes within the clothing store of Hightown Barracks, Wrexham. In an attempt to make use of them they were issued to trainee soldiers undergoing punishment (jankers) as a convenient means of marking out individuals who could be quickly selected by NCOs to carry out menial tasks. When the Welsh Brigade was formed and brigade cap badges issued the remaining stocks of the all brass RWF badges, which was still plentiful, were backloaded through the Ordnance chain for disposal. They had been in store at Wrexham since WW1.