British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > General Topics.

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 07-12-15, 02:44 PM

Default The Turkish badge

For the Turkish badge (plus 2 others)
http://gmic.co.uk/topic/36159-kappen...comment-337457

and
http://www.ottoman-uniforms.com/kapp...m-armee-korps/ (a v. good source for Ottoman uniforms etc)

These Turkish badges seem to have been made in Austria. (Hope it's okay to put links to other Forums!).

Steven H
Old 07-12-15, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leigh kitchen View Post
Would the Baden NCOs button not be the Griffin rather than the Prussian eagle, and Oldenburg perhaps wear their own variation of the Prussian insignia?
I have referred to the Ludenscheid volume on uniform buttons "Im Frieden wie im Krieg" wherein the NCO rank buttons for Prussia, Baden and Oldenburg are the same. They also come in three finishes - yellow, white and field-grey.
It should be mentioned, though, that Baden sergeants wore their specific 'national' device rank button on the old uniforms up to 1866. (Baden later introduced the Prussian Eagle device).

GTB
Old 07-12-15, 03:30 PM

Interesting, I have Prussian ones of, I think, Y/M, tombak, grey painted and possibly of W/M and of grey metal painted tan, I didn't know that Baden used the Prussian design.
Old 07-12-15, 06:33 PM

Just a thought. Possibly you may be confusing with Bayern (Bavaria)? State device worn by their NCOs.
GTB
Old 07-12-15, 07:07 PM

I'm thinking of the Baden Griffin rather than the Bavarian lions and oval shield - I never thought that Baden would wear the Prussian eagle on the buttons.
Old 07-12-15, 07:34 PM

Nice item. particularly the mid east connected badges
Old 07-12-15, 07:52 PM

Actually, you have a point. I have revisited the book and consulted an earlier chapter, entitled "Field Grey - the New Colour of the German Soldier", from 1907. This contains an illustrated section dealing with the colour change of buttons having devices and gives coloured photographic examples of NCOs buttons of the Kingdoms and Grand Duchies, including Baden, but not Oldenburg.
This is obviously at variance with the massive Gluska Collection in a later chapter and from where I quoted earlier details. What I can also add is that the Sgt's button displayed in the Gluska spread, and captioned as the old version worn until 1866, has the device of a griffin and shield; the Sgt's & Cpl's buttons displayed in the Field Grey article also have state devices (although apparently those for Baden and Wurtemberg have both been transposed).
Until further research can clear up matter I will concede that your inference concerning Baden is correct.
GTB
Old 07-12-15, 09:01 PM

It's a subject I know very little about, I just have a few buttons and some poor quality, common helmets.
My assumptions on button designs are just that I'm afraid - assumptions.
Old 07-12-15, 10:34 PM

Quote:
1/20 Londons served in europe. 2/20 served in europe, Salonika, Egypt and Palestine.
The Turkish y/m badge - I can't make out the shields at the bottom, but they remind me of the crests of Austria-Hungary, of the component states of the old Juogoslavia.......
The belt buckle is Prussian.
Oops!!. Sorry, I am far too old to be thinking off the top of my head, must check up first in future!!!.
Old 07-12-15, 10:58 PM

That's usually my excuse - this time I checked the book because it was a few feet away - it would've been more impressive if I'd known from memory.
Old 08-12-15, 08:36 AM

Quote:
It's a subject I know very little about, I just have a few buttons and some poor quality, common helmets.
My assumptions on button designs are just that I'm afraid - assumptions.
Why not post the buttons? May be able to do some worthwhile cross-referencing. Are the helmets pickelhauben?

GTB
Old 08-12-15, 08:43 AM

I'll see if I can find the buttons.
Yes, the helmets are pikelhauben, common, poor condition, incomplete etc.

A Prussian pioneer, railway, or telegraph troops pikelhaube with white metal fittings that I originally mistook from photos as being the standard brass, due to layer of cigarette smoke staining (its unit markings are difficult to make out) and a "pionier" saw back bayonet marked to the 13th Pionier Bn on a brown leather belt with grey painted Prussian buckle.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20151208_085003.jpg (30.8 KB, 26 views)

Last edited by leigh kitchen; 08-12-15 at 02:41 PM.
Old 08-12-15, 01:30 PM

As the buckle carries the motto "Gott Mit Uns" it seems likely it cd have been a German belt.
Old 08-12-15, 01:43 PM

Yes, its a Prussian one.
Old 08-12-15, 02:17 PM

Whatever their state, pickelhauben are pickelhauben, and vestiges of a bygone age. Count yourself lucky. All I have are two relic condition plates, but I still love them - they have their own story!
I recall many years ago, a militaria magazine featuring a detailed restoration of a pickelhaube. I'm sure there was something similar online too.

I am posting two collar rank buttons (Prussian, Sgts, 29mm). One brass, backmark of 6 stars in annulus; the other, grey metal painted khaki, backmark 'EXTRA FEIN (stars) E.A.Q.'

GTB
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PrussianSgtButtons.jpg (35.4 KB, 16 views)