British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Royal Navy and Royal Marines

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 02-09-21, 11:42 PM

Default Royal Navy Cdo dress Formation sign

Hi team

Not to sure of the ID and when this was used?

Hoping some one could ID and provide more info.

Its quite small compared to 116TH RM Div FS.

cheers

Phill
Attached Images
File Type: jpg img866 (2).jpg (29.8 KB, 36 views)
File Type: jpg img867 (2).jpg (34.4 KB, 8 views)
Old 03-09-21, 06:26 AM

If you’re talking about the dagger badge, this has been used as a qualification badge for Army Commandos since the 1970s, worn on the left shoulder. Bullion versions with gold dagger are worn on the navy blue No.1 Dress. Slightly smaller versions on some Regt/Corps mess dress (some specify gold dagger on a red triangle).

The Royal Navy use the same gold on black bullion version on their dress uniforms, now worn on the right cuff. The badge is not used by the Royal Marines on their mess dress or dress blues. As far as I’m aware, the RAF does not use the bullion badge.

On combat dress the embroidered red dagger on black badge has been replaced by subdued shoulder titles reading ‘Royal Marines Commando’, ‘Army Commando’ and ‘Royal Navy Commando’. The very few RAF members who qualify as Commandos on the All Arms Commando Course may still wear the triangle on their combat dress but I’m not sure about current practice.

Last edited by Colin S; 03-09-21 at 06:37 AM.
Old 03-09-21, 06:35 AM

Thanks Colin much appreciated.

You mention "Bullion versions with gold dagger are worn on the navy blue No.1 Dress." Is this the navy version? The dagger is bullion thread.

116th was just a comparison for size.

Phill
Old 03-09-21, 06:44 AM

No way to be sure. I’d guess that yours is an Army one, only because the Navy version tends to be trimmed to just leave the dagger with a narrow black outline. Most badges tend to be tri-service now and will be issued to whichever service requires them.
Old 03-09-21, 06:52 AM

Thanks Colin

Interesting to find out it could be used for Army or Navy!!In this day and age every service tends to have their own colours.

Really appreciate your reply.

Phill
Old 03-09-21, 07:53 AM

Default Royal Navy Cdo dress Formation Sign

I think your commando dagger badge is Army rather than Navy.

I have included an image of the current issue badge. It has been embroidered in gold rayon (thread) rather than gold wire for nearly 20 years now. Apart from that the design has remained unchanged since it was introduced.

I spent some time attached to 3 Commando Brigade and although I didn't complete the All Arms Course myself, I worked with many RN personnel that had. Hardly any of them cut down the badge and wore it as issued.

Pete
'It is upon the Navy, under the good providence of God, that the Wealth, Prosperity and Peace of these islands and of the Empire do mainly depend' - Preamble to the Articles of War in the reign of Charles II
Old 03-09-21, 08:24 AM

Thanks Pete

Appreciate the clarification.

I note that mine is gold bullion thread as compared to your one which is gold rayon thread o distinct threads.

Again thanks for pointing that out.

Phill
Old 03-09-21, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guzzman View Post
I think your commando dagger badge is Army rather than Navy.

I have included an image of the current issue badge. It has been embroidered in gold rayon (thread) rather than gold wire for nearly 20 years now. Apart from that the design has remained unchanged since it was introduced.

I spent some time attached to 3 Commando Brigade and although I didn't complete the All Arms Course myself, I worked with many RN personnel that had. Hardly any of them cut down the badge and wore it as issued.

Pete
Pete is entirely right about the navy version - I’d forgotten that the navy badge is issued in a tombstone shape, so glad he corrected that mistake. Yours must be Army issue.
Old 03-09-21, 10:00 PM

Thanks again Colin

Phill
Old 07-09-21, 04:43 PM

These are 1B and 2A commando and para badges as worn in the post 9/11 period by a former matelot of my aquaintance. The last one was worn - as far as I know against RN dress regulations - in 3A dress while working on exchange in the US (hence the USN parachute wings), similarly trimmed UK para wings are on the other side.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_8548.jpg (30.3 KB, 25 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_8549.jpg (25.3 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_8550.jpg (29.0 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_8551.jpg (21.4 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_8547.jpg (22.5 KB, 22 views)
Old 08-09-21, 11:29 AM

Thanks Royal

Would that have been with Army Commando Course?

Phill
Old 08-09-21, 01:30 PM

There's no such thing as an Army Commando Course (in the UK) Phill.

Its called the All Arms Commando Course and is open to anyone from any of the 3 services that can expect to be deployed with 3 Commando Brigade.

Army candidates are generally Artillery or Engineers but there are roles for Signallers, Medics, Intelligence and a few other trades.

Royal Navy candidates are generally Medics, Educators, Signallers or Photographers though Padres, Aircrew and a few other trades also get a look in.

RAF candidates are generally RAF Regiment JTACs.

On top of that there are sometimes a few from the Army or from foreign armed forces there by invitation or ahead of an exchange posting. There is always a USMC senior NCO on exchange at Commando Training Centre for example.
Old 09-09-21, 06:05 AM

Thanks for clarifying Royal.

Its always good to be corrected and to have an explanation for those of us with limited knowledge-I can put this in my database.

cheers

Phill