British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > South African Military and Police Insignia > Army

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 04-04-21, 06:44 PM

Default Buffalo Border Guard

Another anomaly OR just a question of how close you can get to a very special badge.

Picked up the badge in the image (DLI Cap Badge on the right to showcase size) with a group of items in South Africa a couple of years back.

Splitting image of the BBG badge 428 in Owen's book. At first I thought it may be a collar, but if you look carefully it does look as though someone removed the buffalo from the wreath. That said did this unit have a collar badge or was that too early on?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg BBG Obv.jpg (37.3 KB, 33 views)
File Type: jpg BBG Rev.jpg (47.3 KB, 21 views)
Old 05-04-21, 06:08 AM

I am certain that there should be a partner to the single lug, so whatever had an extra lug on has been removed.
Cheers,
Alex
Old 05-04-21, 07:56 AM

Definitely looks like wreath has been removed.

No mention of a collar badge :
"The uniform of the BBG included a black pillbox cap, with a band of black braid on which a silver badge with a buffalo head on a wreath was mounted. The tunic was black cord with black velvet facings and white metal buttons with buffalo head and BBG title."

Only photos of badge I can find are for a 'pouch belt badge ' (which is also identified as 428 in Owen's book) and is described as having "three screw posts to reverse" , so possibly the wreath had two lugs.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg BBG Rev.jpg (42.1 KB, 10 views)

Poppy and British Legion Wanted
Old 05-04-21, 10:57 AM

Tx for the responses. My suspicions as well that unfortunately at some point the wreath has been removed.