British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Common Forums > It's a Mystery -Unknown Insignia for Identification

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 30-12-11, 03:30 PM

Default Three Unknowns ??

I've recently obtained the following three badges and wonder if anyone could help with identifying any of them please.

First up what I think may be an officers busby badge for the Rifle Brigade Militia, worn with the crown on a cord boss above? It measures 55mm top to bottom.

Next up a KRRC type badge, again possibly worn on the busby? 46mm across the cross tips.

Finally a large badge 46mm across. Possibly Militia again having the 'Honi Mal...' and a laurel circle. The rose has me stumped though.

Old 30-12-11, 03:38 PM
Member 2008-16- Rest in Peace

Default Nice.......

Hi Keith,

You know I'm as much use as a wet blanket ( three bosters by the way ) but I wondered if the third one, with the rose, was associated to the Royal Fusiliers in any way ???

Happy New Year mate.

Dave.
Old 30-12-11, 03:40 PM

Keith, the centre is the same as my Hampshire r.v. Badge I posted a while ago regards
Alan
Old 30-12-11, 03:50 PM

Sorry forgot to say the third one
Old 30-12-11, 04:15 PM

A plain bugle horn and "shamrock" loop without other numbers or adornments normally denotes the 43rd or 52nd regiments, which were the original components of the light infantry. Having said that, the Maltese cross would not normally be used, unless it is something to do with the Buckinghamshire Battalion of the Oxfordshire & Buckinghamshire Light Infantry (which seems unlikely).
Old 31-12-11, 05:41 PM

I am unsure if these are "old" or "modern" badges. If they are modern, could there be a link to the Green Jackets after they absorbed the Oxon & Bucks - here is their cap badge.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg OBLI5203.jpg (73.6 KB, 8 views)
Old 01-01-12, 09:20 AM

Hi Keith
Thanks for the pics...three very nice items.
Best I can offer in the way of an explanation of their possible identity and use are the 3X images attached :
From your pics, these items appear to be much larger than mine and probably much later at a guess. But I think their function is similar, ie ; officer's belt-plates for rifle regiments and Lt.Infy.
Your item with a rose in the centre could be to a Yorks or Lancs Unit or possibly as Dave suggests R.Fus. As you can see, mine is clearly identified as KOYLI.
IMO it looks to me as if these (very nice) items of yours are Victorian and possibly trial patterns. Regards Jeff
KOYLI whistle guard.jpg R.Regt whistle guard (1).jpg R.Regt whistle guard (2).jpg

PS: My items are approx 60mm across
Old 01-01-12, 02:04 PM

Default Whistle Guards

Hi Keith.

Happy New year

Recently won at the DNW auction, from the R.E. Handley collection.

DSC00296.jpg DSC00297.jpg

Catalogued as whistle guards for VBs of The Royal Fusiliers.

The one on the left appears identical to your third badge, my example is a cast badge.

The one on the right, which is a die struck item, does have a small attachment below the central motif to support a whistle chain, but strangely the one identical to yours doesn't.

Fixings at the rear are 2 screw posts E and W

Hope this helps.

Regards

Brian
Old 01-01-12, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatherofthree View Post
Hi Keith.

Happy New year

Recently won at the DNW auction, from the R.E. Handley collection.

Attachment 55716 Attachment 55717

Catalogued as whistle guards for VBs of The Royal Fusiliers.

The one on the left appears identical to your third badge, my example is a cast badge.

The one on the right, which is a die struck item, does have a small attachment below the central motif to support a whistle chain, but strangely the one identical to yours doesn't.

Fixings at the rear are 2 screw posts E and W

Hope this helps.

Regards

Brian
Thanks Brian,

Happy New Year to you too and to all other forum members. Once again I'm amazed that an obscure question can be answered positively.

I'm very pleased to know of the Royal Fusiliers VB connection, I've had a look in Handley's "The First Londons" book and there isn't one illustrated in it although maybe some of the officers in the group photos may be wearing one which doesn't show up too well on the white cross belt.

Brian, any chance of photos of the rears please? I have two and neither have and bolt fittings and I intend to get the one I'm keeping restored so I'd like to see the exact locations.

Cheers

Keith

Last edited by Keith Blakeman; 02-01-12 at 07:29 PM.
Old 02-01-12, 03:53 PM

Hi Keith
These pics may be of some interest to you ;
After Dave had mentioned the Royal Fusiliers, I felt sure I had seen a similar badge (or medal) to your no 3 device among my records, and, after some searching, I came up with this rather surprising item.
The extracts are from the Journal of the UK OMRS, Spring 1990, and appears to show the same (or very similar) device being worn as a regimental medal, viz. the "Albuhera Cross" awarded to Clr Sgt Henry Parkinson, 7th Foot.
So it would seem that these devices were used in a variety of functions. Regards Jeff

7F Albuhera Cross.jpg 7F Albuhera Cross (2).jpg 7F Albuhera Cross (3).jpg

7F Albuhera Cross (4).jpg

PS: Sorry for my earlier misleading comments
Old 02-01-12, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Mc William View Post
Hi Keith
These pics may be of some interest to you ;
After Dave had mentioned the Royal Fusiliers, I felt sure I had seen a similar badge (or medal) to your no 3 device among my records, and, after some searching, I came up with this rather surprising item.
The extracts are from the Journal of the UK OMRS, Spring 1990, and appears to show the same (or very similar) device being worn as a regimental medal, viz. the "Albuhera Cross" awarded to Clr Sgt Henry Parkinson, 7th Foot.
So it would seem that these devices were used in a variety of functions. Regards Jeff
Wow, it just gets better! I'm under no illusions that mine is a medal, but further evidence linking it to the Royal Fusiliers is superb info.

Thank very much Jeff, much appreciated (and Dave too for the first RF reference).

Keith
Old 02-01-12, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Blakeman View Post
Thanks Brian,

Happy New Year to you too and to all other forum members. Once again I'm amazed that an obscure question can be answered positively.

I had originally sent photos to Bosleys and Mr. Bosley was kind enough to come back to me yesterday after I had posted on the forum with the following:

First one was used as a whistle boss by several units and pouch belt plate by some Hampshire Rifle Volunteers.

Second appears to be the central part of a Rifle Brigade Militia pouch belt plate and as correctly identified by AlanG a Hampshire connection.

Third appears to be central part of one of several Rifle Volunteer pouch belt plates inc. Middlesex

I'm very pleased to know of the Royal Fusiliers VB connection, I've had a look in Handley's "The First Londons" book and there isn't one illustrated in it although maybe some of the officers in the group photos may be wearing one which doesn't show up too well on the white cross belt.

Brian, any chance of photos of the rears please? I have two and neither have and bolt fittings and I intend to get the one I'm keeping restored so I'd like to see the exact locations.

Cheers

Keith
Hi Keith.

Here you go mate.

DSC00292.jpg DSC00294.jpg

Posts are 1/2" high, made of brass as are the nuts and small washers.

Regards
Brian