British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Other Commonwealth Military Insignia > Indian Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 23-10-07, 10:14 AM

Question Gurkha Rifles beret backing ?

Does the Gurkha Rifles regiments use any kind of cloth backing on beret ?
Thank you.
Old 23-10-07, 10:33 AM

I don't think so, the beret is 'Rifle Green' so putting a rifle green beret backing on it would be pointless. Even 7th DoE Own GR attached to The Parachute Regiment in 5 Airborne Brigade didn't wear backings on their Maroon berets (Page 43 British Airborne Forces in the '90's. Nevill/Roberts Europa Miliaria No.15.).
Old 23-10-07, 03:04 PM

Thank you for your prompt answer.

The reason of th question is: a friend has found a rifle green beret with a (wrong) KC 9th gurkha badge and a red cloth backing.

Could be a beret for a QUARANC member in attachment to a gurkha unit ?
Old 24-10-07, 01:01 AM

What shape is the backing ???

The 2nd Kind Edwards VII Own Gurkha Rifles has (had) a red backing (see picture) in 1994 they were amalgamated with a couple of others to form the Royal Gurkha Rifles.

The Gurkha Independent Company, Parachute Regiment wore a rectangular rifle-green patch with a strip of the Brigade Gurkhas ribbon at each vertical edge, 1963 to the subsequent disbandment in 1971 (John Gaylor, Military Badge Collecting, pg 126)

There are other backings too, for example the 2nd Battalion Gurkha Royal Scots have a tartan backing of description.......they did in 1998 that is that I recall.

I believe there are a number of others too.

As for a QUARANC being attached (Light Infantry or Gurkha) that seems less likely, certainly the RAMC as CMT's; you really need to show a picture of the backing.

Kr

Marcus
Attached Images
File Type: jpg E1D681.jpg (1.0 KB, 11 views)
Old 24-10-07, 07:22 AM

It's a simple square backing...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg beret.JPG (13.3 KB, 51 views)
Old 24-10-07, 10:12 PM

I can only think of the Kings Regiment, but they have the dark blue beret not green and perhaps it could even be OTC ?

It looks on the large side what are the measurements out of interest ? Is it hand sewn or tailored ?
Old 26-10-07, 07:07 AM

It's 48 mm. high x 45 mm.
Tailored.
Old 07-04-08, 07:53 AM

Default Gurkha badge backings

I was on a course in 1999 with parachute qualified members of both the Royal Gurkha Rifles and from the Gurkha company then with 2 PARA. The RGR as a whole wore a rifle green beret but those who were para qualified wore a maroon beret with a rifle green square badge backing to their RGR crossed kuhkris and crown badge. Those Gurkhas serving with 2 PARA wore a maroon beret with the RGR cap badge but with no backing. Hope this helps...
Old 07-04-08, 12:05 PM

Taking advantage from this discussion: very long ago I bought a khaki beret, dated 1945, with a rifle green diamond badge backing: I've always thought it could be somehow related to the Ghurkha Rifles, but I guess they would have worn rather the GS cap, and so it seems form several pics.... Any hints?
Old 30-04-08, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin S View Post
I was on a course in 1999 with parachute qualified members of both the Royal Gurkha Rifles and from the Gurkha company then with 2 PARA. The RGR as a whole wore a rifle green beret but those who were para qualified wore a maroon beret with a rifle green square badge backing to their RGR crossed kuhkris and crown badge. Those Gurkhas serving with 2 PARA wore a maroon beret with the RGR cap badge but with no backing. Hope this helps...
These were the Gurkha reinforcement companies attached to 3 regts as i recall.Parachute regt has been mentioned.A company was attached to the Royal Scots and wore a hunting stewart patch behind the badge on the rifle green beret.The other company was attached to the PWRR and wore the blue,yellow,blue patch on a khaki beret with the RGR badge.
Old 25-09-09, 10:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike H View Post
These were the Gurkha reinforcement companies attached to 3 regts as i recall.Parachute regt has been mentioned.A company was attached to the Royal Scots and wore a hunting stewart patch behind the badge on the rifle green beret.The other company was attached to the PWRR and wore the blue,yellow,blue patch on a khaki beret with the RGR badge.
Further to this,a company of Gurkha also served with the Royal Irish Regt as a reinforcement company,in the invasion of Iraq period.As to what they wore,i need to do more research.
Old 26-09-09, 12:53 PM
Super Moderator

Mike

They wore the normal Green Gurkha Rifles beret. There was no RIrish embellishments to their berets.

Alan
Old 27-09-09, 05:51 PM

Thanks for that Alan,i was reading Tim Collins excellent book and thought id mention it.I dont know which other regts they served with,besides those already mentioned,or if they still exist.
Old 28-09-09, 08:26 AM

Default B Coy 1RS

Hi all. I don't know much about the Gurkha Rifles, but how about this. I guess these excellent guys were attached to the Royal Scots.
R.Gurkha Rifles beret patch.jpg
Old 28-09-09, 07:29 PM

Excellent pic there!

Looks like the normal RGR tartan patch (yellow stripe - top left to bottom right) from the slouch(?) hat. It's been rotated 90 degrees to form the RS tartan (red stripe - top left to bottom right.

Cheers, Paul.