British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > General Topics.

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 28-04-17, 01:30 AM

Unhappy

One time I went to the I.W.M, I wanted to buy a Kipling and King volume one, the chook said I would have to wait as she had to have her lunch. It would have taken two minutes, but no her lunch break was more important,
she closed the whole shop for an hour. Could not give a toss.
Regards Terry
Old 28-04-17, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by badjez View Post
It seems a shame that comments on this page may be read more widely and a poor impression gained of what should be a national treasure. Living too far away to attend I'll reserve comment upon the displays until I get over. I did, however, forward a link to this page for the attention of the NAM Press Office, suggesting somebody 'front up' to comment. I wonder if they will take the opportunity to explain themselves.

Stephen.
Stephen, just have a look at some of the photo captions in the AWM on-line collection, it's not just endemic to NAM and IWM. Primary source material and research doesn't even come into it now.

Keith
Old 28-04-17, 12:48 PM

Default NAM

Keith,

I visited the IWM last year when I was over, and was allowed access to some of the reserve collection. I must say that the staff member who accompanied me was VERY learned about the subject of insignia, and made lots of primary source information available. I fear that in the case of the IWM they need to cater for the schools groups, whose attention span is limited, hence the displays are almost sound-bites of information: browse and move on to the next cabinet quickly children, but spend most of your time in the shop!

Stephen.
Old 28-04-17, 12:53 PM

I think that both the IWM and Nam have gone down hill in recent times, a great shame, I have spent very many happy hours in both.
Old 28-04-17, 07:57 PM

I to like you frank spent many interesting and enjoyable hours in both museums but alas now both have gone Down hill they are ok for people to look round on a rainy day but for collectors and people genuinely interested in military matters not very good in my opinion
Old 29-04-17, 06:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arnhemjim View Post
200 years (1794-1994) service to Great Britain and the Crown. and my eye did not pick-up the cap badge of the 92nd Gordon Highlanders anywhere in the grouping. Please correct me if I am in error. If my observation is correct, Despicable!
Arnhem Jim
Arizona Territory
I don't see the Royal Scots or the Queen's Own Cameron Highlanders either.
Pathetic display
Old 29-04-17, 10:40 AM

I emailed the NAM to enquire about the licensing terms for a photograph I should like to reproduce for an article. It has been a week and will see if I get a reply. They say there team will respond to license enquiries within a couple of days.

cheers Dean
Old 03-05-17, 12:58 PM

Default NAM

FYI I received the following email response from the NAM:
= = =
Thank you for your email, in regards to the forum, which has been passed on to me for a response

The galleries of the new National Army Museum provide an introduction and spring board from which to discuss the army’s history further, which is done through our online offer and our public programme of lectures and events.

The cap badge display to which you refer is part of a display that is designed to provide an insight into the make up of the army by exploring the histories of just some of the many regiments and corps that have served since 1660. It is not designed to be an exhaustive list of every regiment, but uses 150 badges as a starting point. It is for a variety of different people with different levels of knowledge from experts to those who don’t even know what a cap badge is, or that different regiments and units in the army wear a different badge in their head-dress. Because the display is a sample, and includes regiments from across the history of the army rather than a snap shot of a particular time - sometimes including three sets of amalgamations - the badges have not been placed in order of precedence.

Attached to the display is a terminal that replicates the case display. This is the key that identifies each badge. It can be searched either by choosing the badge, or searching for a unit by name. For those that want to learn more, it also provides a short history of the unit (including where they stood in the order of precedence), their motto, nicknames, and one particular unknown and interesting fact. Alongside this is a large-scale picture of the badge, and other photographs from our Collection relating to the unit where available. We have also worked with the British Military Music Archive to source 100-year old, digitally remastered recordings, of the regimental marches as played by the bands of the Guards, which can also be played through the terminal.*

With many thanks, and best wishes,

Yours sincerely,

Dr Peter Johnston
Collections Development and Review Manager
National Army Museum
= = =
Old 03-05-17, 01:16 PM

Stephen,

Thank you for making the enquiry and eliciting that comprehensive response from the NAM.
Mine was a short visit in the way of a recce. I did not spot the terminal (screen) that provides the key and detailed information - probably because there were 50 or more school children in the gallery clicking on everything! A good thing that youngsters are interested and I suppose digital technology is the best way of maintaining that interest.
I will return for another look and try to check out the apparent fakes and reproductions amongst the badges displayed.

Tim

Last edited by grey_green_acorn; 04-05-17 at 03:30 PM.
Old 04-05-17, 11:58 AM

As an update,

I received a very nice reply to my photograph licensing request from the NAM so all good.

cheers Dean.
Old 04-05-17, 01:46 PM

The NAM: careless destructors of british history:

https://www.dnw.co.uk/auction-archiv...lection_id=104

Old 04-05-17, 04:25 PM

What a bland reply.
Andy
Old 04-05-17, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grenadierguardsman View Post
What a bland reply.
Andy
In a recent thread you commented on information in button pattern books. You did not like what was written, but it was solid information.
By selling the entire Gaunt archive of buttons a lot of similar information was lost forever.
Old 04-05-17, 05:18 PM

They did the same with the non-military badges which Gaunt gave them. They say that they (as with the buttons) were offered to other museums but there were no takers. That it total rubbish they offered them to no one. They were intent on selling them. They wanted the cash, nothing else. A total disgrace.

Dave.
Old 04-05-17, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by btns View Post
In a recent thread you commented on information in button pattern books. You did not like what was written, but it was solid information.
By selling the entire Gaunt archive of buttons a lot of similar information was lost forever.
I don't know what your on about, i was referring to the reply from the National Army Museum.
Andy