British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Cavalry, Yeomanry, Tank/RAC Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 08-08-15, 01:32 PM

Default 'Martingale' Badges

Hello

For many years I have seen this description being use to describe badges which are fixed to the Breastplate of a Cavalry horse, and I do feel this needs some clarification.

The Breastplate has three straps, one connects to the girth between the horses front legs, and two, one each side of the shoulders connects to the saddle.
Its purpose is to prevent the saddle from sliding back, and for interests sake, its counter part is the Crupper which prevents the saddle from sliding forwards. The Breastplate has been used for centuries on Military horses and is still part of the standard saddlery for horses in service with the HCMR for example. The HMCR does actually describe these badges as BreastPlate Badges, and there are ones for other ranks and officers.

The Martingale on the other hand has an entirely different purpose which is to prevent a horse raising its head to high, and there are several types, Standing,Running,Bib,etc. most connect to the girth between the front legs of the horse, but then to the reins or noseband.

I cannot locate a single image of a military horse in service wearing one, nor can I find any reference to a Martingale being an Ordnance item.
I am also lead to believe there is a simple answer to why they are or were not used by the military.......there was no need, because the Cavalry curb or the more modern Army reversible bit was severe enough to control the head movement.

You will of course find images of military personnel on horses that are wearing a Martingale but generally when riding for leisure, when hacking out for example, or in sport eg Hunting, Eventing, Racing etc.

So Gentlemen, IMO the correct description for such devices is a BreastPlate Badge and to the best of my knowledge the Martingale is not generally used on military horses in service nor ever has been, and does not appear to be ordnance issue kit.

Happy to be proved wrong though, there are always exceptions

I hope this is of interest to some.

Cheers
Rob

The older I get ................the better I was !
Old 08-08-15, 02:31 PM

The description I have always heard used by "mounted men" is "Horse Belly Badge". The term "Breast plate badge" does not really describe the item as such. Whereas the former tells you exactly what it is and what it is used for.

Dave.
Old 08-08-15, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by altcar73 View Post
The description I have always heard used by "mounted men" is "Horse Belly Badge". The term "Breast plate badge" does not really describe the item as such. Whereas the former tells you exactly what it is and what it is used for.

Dave.
Hello Dave

If that is your experience, who am I to argue but I have never heard that description used before.
In the references I have they are officially described as Breastplate badges.

However, I will say this regarding equine anatomy: a Horses belly is generally known to be on the underside of the animal(as with all four legged animals come to think of it) , and the breast is at the front, hence you get the like of, breast restraining bars in horse box partitions, breast straps and breast harnesses etc.

So, I must admit your 'mounted men's' description makes little sense to me
Thanks for the input though.
Rob

The older I get ................the better I was !
Old 08-08-15, 04:54 PM

Hello

My daughter informs me that Rob is right in all respects. The correct term for this piece of kit is "breastplate" and thus the badge that would be there is a "breastplate badge".

Trust me, you don't want to argue with a teenage, horse-mad daughter that has just spent 3 years doing a "horsey course" which she passed with distinction!

Regards
Roger
Old 08-08-15, 06:14 PM

If any other members have daughters ( or sons ) who show any interest at all in horses my advice would be to discourage them as much as you can.

My daughter has been very very lucky to make a full recovery after breaking her pelvis in two places after her horse rolled on her last year on the cross country section of an event. She now has a plate holding parts of her pelvis together and is as keen as ever on riding.

P.B.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2234.jpg (62.6 KB, 29 views)

Members welcome in my private Facebook group “The Kings Liverpool Regiment ( 1685-1958 )”
Old 08-08-15, 06:42 PM

Default I agree

I agree with Rob,
just by position alone its on the Horses chest. I do agree it may be given different names from time to too time. Rather like we referred to a Tank as a Panzer in the Armoured corps but go back to WWI it would be called a Tank.

Belly badge seems more like a local nickname like gobbling rods for a knife fork and spoon it may be used but its not the correct name.

Rgs Mac