British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > General Topics.

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 12-01-08, 05:47 PM

Default Your rarest item ?

I think everyone might agree that there are many items that are not mentioned in any of the books on badges and I am sure a lot of us have items that might be one offs.

One badge I have ,and I am not sure exactly what it is for, is attached.

It has the white horse of Hanover on the top so is presumably connected to the Kings Liverpool Regt.

It is of silver with enamelled flags on either side and has 2 lugs to the rear.

The scroll has the words Liverpool Volunteers C.C. in the centre and there are crossed rifles on a bicycle wheel and below the rifles either a telescope or a bicycle pump ( yes really ).

Some of the Liverpool Volunteer battalions had cyclist companies and this might be one of their badges but it may be a cap or arm badge I have no idea.

Any thought gratefully recieved and I look forward to seeing other members rarest items.

P.B.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF5466.JPG (36.1 KB, 177 views)
Old 12-01-08, 06:07 PM

Here's mine. Beach Signals can't get much rarer than this.
The Beach Formation Patch isn't much easier to find.

The Royal Navy Commando’s.( Formerly known as Beachhead Commandos ). However, there were brave men from other units, such as the Royal Naval Beach Signals, Landing Craft Obstacle Clearance Units and men from the Royal Naval Volunteer Reserve. They all undertook Commando training at Ardentinny In Scotland (HMS Armadillo) and then moved on to the famous Commando training camp at Achnacarry.

Formed in 1941 as Royal Naval Beach Parties many of them did not return from Operations.The first of these being Op Jubilee at Dieppe in 1942. They were soon organised into Commando Units and designated Alphabetically and not Numerically like the Army Commandos and the Royal Marine Commandos. 22 Commandos were formed throughout beginning with A Commando through to W Commando. (W CDO being all-Canadian).

They comprised of 10 officers and 66 Ratings, a Principle Beachmaster (Cdr or Lt/Cdr), three Beachmasters (LT RN or RNR) six Assistant Beachmasters (S/Lt RNVR), three PO’s, Six L/Hands eighteen AB’s and thirty-nine Ordinary Seaman.
Once trained their main task was to spearhead the Amphibious assaults in every invasion during WW2. Their work was considered to be of the utmost importance and highly dangerous. In true Commando spirit they would secure the beach heads and establish control for the arrival of the assaulting force and their equipment.

Operations were carried out until the landing area was secured under direct fire of the enemy, often for days on end with no rest, and no protection other than their shell scrapes. They were the first in and last out giving weight to their Motto “INPRIMO EX ULTO” Their bravery and courage was tested in many Operations; Madagascar, Dieppe, North Africa, Pantelleria, Sicily, Salerno, Volturno river crossing, Anzio, D/Day Normandy, Elba, Walcheren, Commachio and Malaya. They also helped British Troops across the Rhine.

The Royal Navy Commandos were always in the thick of it, which is evident by the amount of awards and honours received by the various Commando units and the individuals within them:
1 X George Cross
2 X Order of the Bath
4 X Distinguished Service Orders
1 X Order of the British Empire
45 X Distinguished Service Cross
1 X Conspicuous Gallantry Medal
44 X Distinguished Service Medals
2 X British Empire Medals
64 X Mentioned in Despatches
Many more have gone unnoticed due to the fact they were awarded as Royal Navy because of the Wartime secrets act. When WW2 came to an end the Royal Navy became despondent with this elite bunch of men, and by December 1945 the Royal Navy Commando Units had been disbanded and their role was taken on by another elite bunch of men - The Royal Marine Commandos.

There genuine alright, but what you asking for Provenance for? I'm not trying to flog them.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1014326.jpg (37.8 KB, 64 views)
File Type: jpg 9331_1.jpg (28.8 KB, 66 views)

Last edited by tynesideirish; 13-01-08 at 12:09 AM.
Old 12-01-08, 06:33 PM
Super Moderator

Default Provenance?

Nice patches. Can you give a bit of history on them? Eg who used, where, when?

Thanks for the reply. The thumbnail sketch of the organization gives me a much better understanding of the patches. That was the sense in which the term povenance was used, the place or source of origin, and the whyfore. I was interested as I believe the patches relate to a photo from Library and Archives Canada, thumbnail attached.

Royal Marines (British Army), who will be removing mines and obstructions from the D-Day landing beaches, preparing to disembark from H.M.C.S. PRINCE DAVID off the Normandy beachhead, France, 6 June 1944. Thorndick, Donovan James., Photographer

Mikan Number: 3202145

Follow up question. The Royal Canadian Navy organized beach commando's, but they appear to have worn the combined ops patch. Was the Beach Formation patch worn in combination with the Combined Ops or instead? Attached is a second LAC image of 1 Royal Canadian Navy Beach Commando.

l Canadian Navy Beach Commando “W”, talking with Private M. Belanger ((left) and Corporal P. Jenkins of Le Régiment de la Chaudière in the Juno sector of the Normandy beachhead, France, 20 July 1944.
Date: July 20, 1944
Photographer: Arless, Richard Graham, 1919-, Photographer
Mikan Number: 3354996
Attached Images
File Type: jpg a143822-v6.jpg (35.6 KB, 142 views)
File Type: jpg a180813-v6.jpg (61.9 KB, 144 views)

Last edited by Bill A; 13-01-08 at 12:38 PM.
Old 12-01-08, 06:33 PM

for me

pas les plus rare, mais ceux qui ont le plus de valeur a mes yeux.

oups....i speak french this time....

all of them Genuine WW1 and with their genuine back plaque WW1
Attached Images
File Type: jpg W636.JPG (18.2 KB, 90 views)
File Type: jpg DSC04717.JPG (36.6 KB, 109 views)
File Type: jpg W775.JPG (21.9 KB, 83 views)

Last edited by jeanpit-frenchy; 12-01-08 at 06:35 PM.
Old 12-01-08, 07:33 PM
Super Moderator

Not sure whether it is the rarest of ny badges but certainly the most expensive and desirable - A genuine WW1 1st bn Birmingham pals badge.

Alan
Attached Images
File Type: jpg a6_1.jpg (17.3 KB, 109 views)
File Type: jpg 53_1.jpg (30.8 KB, 165 views)
Old 12-01-08, 09:23 PM

With so many badges it was hard for me to choose one, so I chose 3.
The first one is an Officers silver and gilt to the 5th Vol Batt'n HLI.
The second is an Officers bronze to the 2nd Vol batt'n The Royal Sussex.
And the third is a genuine silver 9th batt'n (Dandy Ninth) royal scots, not like one of taxicars so called genuine ones which he seems to have an endless supply of.

Cheers
Malc

Imagination is more important than knowledge. For while knowledge defines all we currently know and understand, imagination points to all we might yet discover.

Last edited by Malcolm Davey; 12-04-08 at 10:52 PM.
Old 12-01-08, 09:45 PM
Super Moderator

Default Rarest Badge

Rare is a term that needs definition. Value vs scarcity are not always the same thing. I have seen unique badges sell for far less than badges that are in more demand. An example would be the scarce officer's 1 Canadian Parachute Battalion cap badge, which is very expensive and very collectable. It has sold for far more than some of the rare militia period badges that are seldom offered.
I have what I think may be an unique set of officer's cap and collars to the Carabiners de Sherbrooke, militia period badge (1920-1936). I have never seen a similar badge offered for sale or in a collection. Perhaps this will bring out some others?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ebay carabiners de sher.jpg (44.9 KB, 105 views)
Old 13-01-08, 03:03 AM

Some very nice (and rare) badges so far!

I completely agree with Bill's comments. Sometimes rare and valuable are not synonymous.

I am in the midst of setting up my new computer...I don't think I have anything exceedingly rare, but a few scarcer examples that might be of interest. I'll try to get some pics on here soon.

Cheers,

Adam
Old 13-01-08, 10:05 AM

Hi all,
not sure if they are actually the rarest,but a couple of really nice items ,I have ,that others may not have seen up close B4.

1. 25th Frontiersmen Fusiliers 1st pattern (rumoured as made in a local garage?)
2. 5th Seaforth Highlanders (Sutherland & Caithness) Officer's (2 feathers indicates a Captain) Front & back (showing feathers were worn as separate attachments here)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Pic056.JPG (74.4 KB, 80 views)
File Type: jpg Pic155.JPG (77.4 KB, 97 views)
File Type: jpg Pic156.JPG (77.5 KB, 69 views)

Last edited by dragonz18; 13-01-08 at 10:18 AM.
Old 13-01-08, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8thfoot View Post
I think everyone might agree that there are many items that are not mentioned in any of the books on badges and I am sure a lot of us have items that might be one offs.

One badge I have ,and I am not sure exactly what it is for, is attached.

It has the white horse of Hanover on the top so is presumably connected to the Kings Liverpool Regt.

It is of silver with enamelled flags on either side and has 2 lugs to the rear.

The scroll has the words Liverpool Volunteers C.C. in the centre and there are crossed rifles on a bicycle wheel and below the rifles either a telescope or a bicycle pump ( yes really ).

Some of the Liverpool Volunteer battalions had cyclist companies and this might be one of their badges but it may be a cap or arm badge I have no idea.

Any thought gratefully recieved and I look forward to seeing other members rarest items.

P.B.
Hi 8thfoot,
If I had to hazard a guess on what you badge represents I would say it was the Kings Volunteers Cycling Club.Cycling was very popular at around the 1900's.I am sure someone will be able to identify the period of The Royal Standard which would establish the date.
Regards
Bantam

Last edited by Bantam; 13-01-08 at 01:01 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 13-01-08, 05:25 PM

Reference post number 2.

The Penguin badge was worn (in pairs) by members of 22nd Beach Brigade.

The badge for Beach Groups was a red fouled anchor on a light blue disc with a red edge.
Old 13-01-08, 06:05 PM
Super Moderator

Getting confused here. Beach Groups are something quite different from Beach Commandos and I am not sure where Beach Brigades fit? The 1 RCN Commando or "W" Commando RCN wore the Combined Ops patch, not a Beach Group patch. Reviewing the reference source, Library Archives Canada, I am thinking that the label on the image is incorrect. It called the RCN Commando both 1 Commando and W Commando. Or it may have had something to do with Canadian autonomy? The designation of "1" may have been in error, as indicated earlier the Beach Commando's were alpha designated.

The Beach Groups on D-Day were listed as:

1. In the British Second Army sector the Beach Maintenance Area was sub-divided into Beach Sub-Areas and
Beach Groups, which for the three British assault beaches were:

- for ‘Gold’ Beach: - (50th (Northumbrian) Infantry Division)(XXX British Corps)
No. 104 Beach Sub-Area (under command of 50th (Northumbrian) Infantry Division)
9th Beach Group
10th Beach Group
36th Beach Brick (in reserve)

- for ‘Juno’ Beach: - (3rd Canadian Infantry Division)(I British Corps)
No. 102 Beach Sub-Area (under command of 3rd Canadian Infantry Division)
4th Beach Group (in reserve)
7th Beach Group
8th Beach Group

- for ‘Sword’ Beach: - (3rd Infantry Division)(I British Corps)
No. 101 Beach Sub-Area (under command of 3rd Infantry Division)
5th Beach Group (in reserve)
6th Beach Group

2. On each of the British assault beaches (‘Gold’, ‘Juno’ and ‘Sword’) the basis of the army organization was the ‘Beach Group’.

3. The ‘Beach Group’ was a loosely knit formation, with a personnel strength of four to five thousand.

4. Each beach group contained units of the R.E., R.A.S.C., R.A.M.C., R.A.O.C., R.E.M.E., C.M.P., Pioneer Corps and a specially trained battalion of infantry whose commanding officer was the beach group
commander.

Was 22nd Beach Brigade part of a Beach Group, or made up of Beach Commandos, or some combination of the two, or something else? Where was 22 Beach Brigade deployed?

This is string is quite interesting, and I think one of the great benefits of a board dedicated to badges and insignia. The piece of history that each patch represents is what collecting is about. I thank tynesideirish and 54Bty for their insights.

And my apologies to the moderator, but I am wondering if this should somehow be made a separate thread?
Old 13-01-08, 08:53 PM

OFF TOPIC: Please post any further discussion regarding Beach units or Commandos on this thread: http://www.britishbadgeforum.com/for...=1731#post1731

Sorry for Hijack Mods!
Please leave postings to RARIST Badges only to THIS thread. Many thanks Mike
Old 14-01-08, 12:26 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonz18 View Post
Hi all,
not sure if they are actually the rarest,but a couple of really nice items ,I have ,that others may not have seen up close B4.

1. 25th Frontiersmen Fusiliers 1st pattern (rumoured as made in a local garage?)
2. 5th Seaforth Highlanders (Sutherland & Caithness) Officer's (2 feathers indicates a Captain) Front & back (showing feathers were worn as separate attachments here)
Would it be possible to see the back of the Fronteirsman badge purely for my own education? This first pattern (converted GG) one has eluded me. I am not clear whether the enamel one was an officers badge or not as authors' views differ on it.

Thanks

Alan
Old 14-01-08, 07:56 PM

Alan,
certainly, that's no problem, other than it may take a couple of days.

Cheers !
Steve