British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Canadian Military Insignia > Infantry

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 03-12-08, 07:11 PM

Default peterborough rangers

I've just received this collar in the mail and am having trouble finding it in my reference books. It's inscribed 2nd BN CEF under the beaver... 93bn and 247bn on the scroll. any info on this badge is welcomed... thanks JIm
Old 03-12-08, 07:42 PM

Hi jim, what you have here is a collar for the Peterborough Rangers, Mazeas M-89. The act that you have the 2nd Bn,the 93rd Bn and 247th Bn is in perpetuation of those those CEF battalions raised by the Rangers in the 1st WW.In 1936, the Rangers and the 4th CMGB were amalgamated to form the Prince of Wales Rangers (Peterborough Regiment)(Mazeas-C-9). Disbanded as infantry in 1947, became the 50th Heavy AA Regiment RCA. After many more transformations, the unit was reduced to NIL strength and transferred to the Supplementary Orbat.
Hoping this helps.
Jo

“There are things we know that we know,” “There are known unknowns. That is to say there are things that we now know we don't know. But there are also unknown unknowns. There are things we do not know we don't know.”
Donald Rumsfeld, before the Iraqi Invasion,2003.

Age is something that doesn't matter, unless you are a cheese.

Last edited by Voltigeur; 03-12-08 at 07:53 PM.
Old 03-12-08, 07:57 PM

Why the motto Quis Separabit ?. This was also the motto of the Royal Irish Rifles, and at one time the South African Irish. Did the regiment have any Irish link ?.
Old 03-12-08, 08:07 PM

Jo Are you certain this is the same one as listed in Mazeas book. Reference M-89 does not appear to have the 2BN scroll, nor the numbers 93rd bn nor the 247 BN on the scroll.

The Peterborough Ontario region was founded by Irish Settlers, that I know, however if there is any other Irish connection, I do not know.

http://www.irishregimentofcanada.ca
Old 03-12-08, 08:13 PM

Yes... i had looked at M89 and thought there was a difference because there was no 2BNCEF illustrated... that's where I'm having the trouble.... Jim
Old 03-12-08, 08:41 PM

Gentlemen, I can't be 100% sure since, Mazeas' illustrations are all hand drawn and, IMO ,not always accurate for that reason. But in checking for the perpetuations of CEF battalions I went to our colleague's The Regimental Rogue list and the 2nd,93rd and 247th are listed for the Rangers.So, if I'm correct, this collar is post 1st WW, since those collars were worn C.1925 to 1935'ish. I'm always open to a different view. As for the motto, well...
Regards to all.
Jo

“There are things we know that we know,” “There are known unknowns. That is to say there are things that we now know we don't know. But there are also unknown unknowns. There are things we do not know we don't know.”

Last edited by Voltigeur; 03-12-08 at 09:09 PM.
Old 03-12-08, 08:46 PM

Your information is correct from what I understand in regards to the perpetuation of the units. I also agree that the Mazeas reference is a little off from time to time. In fact I am currently trying to sort through one right now in regards to a matched pair of collars to the PEILH. Mazeas shows them to be not mirrored.

http://www.irishregimentofcanada.ca
Old 03-12-08, 08:58 PM

I never understood why Mazeas never photograph the badges in his book. I think he probably thought that would be too expensive to do and the book's price out of range of the average collector. Also, who was the person who supplied him with the badges to put in the book? I heard, a long long time ago, that it may have been Bill Elms of Toronto.
By the way,congratulations again, on the PEILH an LakeSup collars.
Jo

Old 03-12-08, 09:51 PM
Super Moderator

Jo, The images in Mazeas are very good line drawings. They are 1:1 scale, and the details are usually correct.
Jim, I believe that you have an unrecorded pattern of the Peterborough Rangers collar badges. Somewhere, I have seen a reference to collar badges being used to perpetuate the CEF Bn's that were raised by the militia unit. A cursory look through Mazeas shows many of the regiments adopted collars with CEF battalions or references. The question is when? Was the collar adopted immediately after the war, or later? The Winnipeg Light Infantry didn't get their "CEF" pattern collar until 1934, if Mazeas is correct. If the Peterborough Rangers were similarly late in approval, they would only have had a year or two of the issue before being amalgamated.
Now, Jim, the tough part. Finding the matching collar.
Old 03-12-08, 10:23 PM

Bill. I agree with you about the "when" question, after all, the original collars are dated 1925 in the book. But then, why not include the variety, if it existed at the time of the book's writing? After all the book was written a long time after the Rangers had been disbanded.
Some informations from good old reliable Willian Scully.
http://www.williamscully.ca/gallery/...scully_wsl_114

http://www.williamscully.ca/gallery/...scully_wsl_112

http://www.williamscully.ca/gallery/...scully_wsl_113

Jo

Last edited by Voltigeur; 03-12-08 at 10:32 PM.
Old 03-12-08, 10:42 PM
Super Moderator

Jo, My thinking on this is that the period of issue was so short that the badges were missed. The Peterborough Rangers is not a "high" interest unit, and not many collectors pay much attention to them.
Old 03-12-08, 10:45 PM

I agree with you Bill. Is the period 1920-1936 is a bit of an "unwanted child"? I think so.
Jo