British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Airborne, Elite and Special Forces Insignia

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 24-04-23, 07:48 PM

Default Falklands Era SAS Beret

Hello all,

I was wondering if anyone could tell me what Special Air Service Beret would look like from the Falklands War era. I know at this time the SAS was wearing the sand color beret as they had been since the 1950s and guys in the SAS could be wearing their beret from the 60s-70s as well but, specifically, what would one issue in the early 1980s look like?

Thanks in advance.
Old 25-04-23, 01:36 PM

As far as I am aware the same issue pattern as in the 70's was worn as it is today

Wanted Poppy Pins
Old 25-04-23, 01:41 PM

Hi Milihfra.
This may not be the direction you are looking for but when the SAS was actually on the Island in May-June 1982, it was generally very cold and windy and berets weren’t the best head gear. Many wore balaclavas. That headgear plus the SAS smock and layered clothing underneath provided some respite from the elements. It was definitely not parade square clothing! My understanding anyway.

I believe, from '68 – '82 and even now sand coloured was the order of the day for the berets.
Old 25-04-23, 05:39 PM

Were all issue British military berets made by the same manufacturers back then? In the RAF it was Kangol, and Compton Webb. Regards, Paul.
Old 26-04-23, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zorgon View Post
Hi Milihfra.
This may not be the direction you are looking for but when the SAS was actually on the Island in May-June 1982, it was generally very cold and windy and berets weren’t the best head gear. Many wore balaclavas. That headgear plus the SAS smock and layered clothing underneath provided some respite from the elements. It was definitely not parade square clothing! My understanding anyway.

I believe, from '68 – '82 and even now sand coloured was the order of the day for the berets.
Thank you for this regardless, this was something I was not initially considering but important nonetheless. I guess I was trying to ask if a beret from that era specifically has different attributes compared to more recent versions (Last 10 years). I would assume like anything, provenance would be a must to know for sure.

Ultimately, I was asking if someone were to be selling a SAS beret, claiming to be from that era, what should someone look for?
Old 26-04-23, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_2817 View Post
As far as I am aware the same issue pattern as in the 70's was worn as it is today
Are there differences in material or makers in that regard? Appreciate the input regardless.
Old 27-04-23, 08:10 AM

Yes, I have a Compton Webb SAS beret from that era. It is metric sized with the NSN and MoD Contract Number on the cloth label and a leather, not cloth, sweatband. My first commando green beret (issued to me in 1986) is exactly the same - bar the colour - but my RM blue beret from training had a cloth sweatband as did my cadet beret from a few years prior...