British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Canadian Military Insignia > Infantry

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 22-12-08, 04:23 PM
Super Moderator

Default Perplexing badge auction...

I was viewing ebay today and came across this badge listing. 2 Queen's Own Rifles. Completely threw me for awhile. Then I realized it is an E30b badge with the British Columbia scroll broken off.
Old 22-12-08, 05:13 PM

Default New QOR badge

I can imagine the look on his faceYikes!!, a brand new QOR variety,then slowly he starts he look it over, Wait a minute!,thats not a real QOR badge,BillA was very nearly fooled,wow that was a close one Bill
Old 22-12-08, 06:54 PM
Member 2008-2010 Rest in Peace

Bill I have one of them, & I always thought it was a part of the BC badge, but here is a little twist. I got it from my Wife's uncle a WW 1 Vet who was badly shot up with the 2nd Ontario BN. this one I have had for 30 years or more, as well as the 2nd. (his badge) Could they have had them made privately for an assn. or a lapel pin or something. It is obviously something the vets knew of or had done. This Vets name was Arthur Franks, enlisted with the 36th In Galt I believe and was transfered to the 2nd.He went back to an ammunition trench with two others to get some ammo. & a shell came over & they all got blown to bits he was the only one to survive, was 3 years in hospital (That happened at Ypres). It's strange that another badge like this should pop up after so long. Ray
Old 22-12-08, 07:17 PM
Super Moderator

Ray, if you look closely at the badge in the auction, you can see that something was broke off the bottom of the badge. It may have been done purposefully. The slider is not something commonly found on old Canadian badges, but they were found on lots of CEF badges.
Old 22-12-08, 08:19 PM

I have seen other 2nd BC/30th CEF badges with the bottom scroll broken off. It really is one of those "delicate" badges. Also, the slider is often found on this badge. I wonder if the fiddle of sliding the badge onto a cap or a board for display put undue stress on the badge and made the scroll break off.

Phil