British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Cavalry, Yeomanry, Tank/RAC Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 23-06-13, 06:26 PM
7th King's

Default 17/21/Lancers

Hi All

Thoughts on this please:

(SLIDER 51mm wide)
(SLIDER from the bend is just over 4.3 cm's)
MEASURED WITH A RULER.

Posted in another threat with other badges.

Requested side view of slider and measurements.

cheers Mike.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20130619_133341 - Copy (4).jpg (70.6 KB, 57 views)
File Type: jpg 20130619_133425 - Copy (2).jpg (67.9 KB, 54 views)
File Type: jpg 20130623_182509.jpg (39.6 KB, 42 views)
Old 23-06-13, 06:42 PM
LYPAO Boff

Mike

Nice example and thanks for the extra pics with info I have one with a slider that is 43mm x 6mm x 1mm

"A Yeoman from the Stalwart Rural Cavalry"
Lechyd da pob Cymro

Last edited by GriffMJ; 23-06-13 at 06:51 PM.
Old 23-06-13, 09:35 PM
7th King's

Thumbs up 17/21/Lancers

Thanks very much GRIFF.

Can you date it for me please?

All the best
Mike.
Old 24-06-13, 09:11 AM
LYPAO Boff

That's a hard ask that is ..... at a pure guess .... between the wars. The WW2 type had a shorter slider (35mm) that had the period safety clip on it (brass oblong looking thing with two holes that attached to the slider).

Lechyd da pob Cymro
Old 24-06-13, 05:13 PM
7th King's

Thumbs up 17/21/Lancers

Thats Great GRIFF

MADE UP ITS A GOOD BADGE,

All the best Mike.
Old 25-06-13, 02:45 AM

A gentle word of advice, King's, these are always referred to as a "Motto" and never, ever, as a badge.
Old 25-06-13, 02:56 AM

Never called a badge?

Or.....

Mistakenly called a badge?
Old 25-06-13, 02:57 AM

Or....
Old 25-06-13, 10:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Alexander View Post
A gentle word of advice, King's, these are always referred to as a "Motto" and never, ever, as a badge.
Hi Dave

Are you an ex-lancer? give this lad a break will you, with your never evers.

It might be more relevant to help him, and indeed perhaps some other members to understand why, it is called a motto by the regiment and not a badge?

Your explanation please.

Regards
Rob

Last edited by Robthereiver; 25-06-13 at 10:59 PM. Reason: spelling-omg!
Old 26-06-13, 02:38 AM

Rob - yes I am an ex 17/21L. Anyone who has served in any military branch will have smiled at the familiar, stern "Never, EVER" phrase. It is a favorite of any instructor be it drill, small arms, gunnery, driving etc., just to add emphasis to any instruction. On joining the Regt a new recruit will be given an orientation lecture on regt'l history where the term "Motto" is laid on thick and heavy. At one time it was only known and used within the regt and by Old Comrades something like a Freemasons handshake. The best explanation given is that the Regt'l motto is "Death or Glory" although the word "Death" does not appear, it is represented by the skull and bones making the entire piece the Motto. If that makes any sense. It is a popular collector's subject and amongst these collectors the term motto is used to show that they are "in the know" and a new collector would be identified as a "newbie", showing his/her inexperience in this field by using the word "badge". I was gently trying to hint at this to King's.
Old 26-06-13, 06:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Alexander View Post
I would imagine it's only in the regiment that it's never called a badge which is a typical British army idiosyncracy. I'm pretty sure that in stores catalogues it's Badges, Cap , 17th/21st lancers.
Old 26-06-13, 06:42 AM

Just because some of us refer to it as a badge does not mean we are noobs,but unless you served in the regiment and had it drilled into you that its called a motto to some of us collectors its just a badge and im no noob.To me the "or glory" is the motto the deathshead and bones are a symbol representing death. I think each to their own, I also understand you call your Arm badges Chads why i dont know perhaps you could enlighten us.
All the best
Malc

Imagination is more important than knowledge. For while knowledge defines all we currently know and understand, imagination points to all we might yet discover.
Old 26-06-13, 08:34 AM
LYPAO Boff

Lechyd da pob Cymro
Old 26-06-13, 12:09 PM

Hi Dave
Thank you for the clarification and no offence to you was intended. It is a common mistake to call your Regt's. Motto a badge, and I am fully aware of how even the current QRL feel about people doing it.

There is a general observation/point I would make though, as it has been mention to me several times of late when I've suggested to individuals to join the forum, is the impression that you dare not make a mistake on this forum without getting ripped to shreds (metaphorically speaking).
This is a little off putting not only to perspective new members but also to existing ones.
Whilst, I agree it certainly is important to get the facts straight, and to correct errors, but perhaps a little more tolerance could be shown by certain quarters and proper explanations given. After all nobody is perfect.

All the best
Rob
Old 27-06-13, 01:18 AM

Malc - I think that I have explained the Chad reference on this forum before, if not it was on some other. Anyway "Chad" was a cartoon character in the '40s and '50s, maybe even earlier. It was a single panel with a simple line drawing of a man's head peering over a brick wall. The elongated nose would be hanging over the wall so you couldn't see the lower half of the face, finger tips clinging to the top of the wall and a few wisps of hair on an otherwise bald head. It was accompanied by a comment that always began with "Wot?" During heavy bombing in the war he would appear saying "Wot? Me Worry?' During a miner's strike it was 'Wot? No coal?" I think it was a political cartoon but at my young age it just looked funny. The Regt'l arm badges, to anyone familiar with the cartoon, would immediately be reminded of it. Today with a much younger generation serving the connection has probably been lost only the name being handed down. By the way, no offense is ever intended by me to anyone on this forum. I am not a collector (aside from dollar bills) I just try to drop in bits of information, when appropriate, dredged from personal experience.