British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Cavalry, Yeomanry, Tank/RAC Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 13-11-12, 08:04 PM

Default Breaking up

I have always been saddened when I hear of a collection being broken up, I think that the Government should have bought Hugh King's collection for the nation, likewise this collection should have been preserved for future generations to research.

This is only an opinion, but I hope someone comes to the rescue with adequate space to house it all.

Rob
Old 13-11-12, 08:04 PM

I just think it's a shame more of the units he had reams of stuff on didn't end up with a book of their own in his great Yeomanry series.

I contemplated buying his ELYC / L&BY / L&BH & related binders but it would have been nearly £1500, for great research but copied photos. I couldn't justify it.
Old 13-11-12, 11:02 PM

Default R.J.SMITH ARCHIVES

Is this the collection sold by Dukes GROVE auctions Dorsetshire if so i was the under bidder massive/massive collection including many cloth samples I have a property in the area and always attend their sales --lot 407 4th sept 2012 hammer price £1700.0 phone bidder

Last edited by 49lassiepen; 13-11-12 at 11:16 PM.
Old 13-11-12, 11:37 PM

Sorry for the delay. Its only morning here right now.

The album contains a whole variety of cloth squares, uniform details, badge backings. Two certainly but possibly three sun helmet flashes. One badge alone would reach a high sum alone in an appropriate sale such as Bosleys. That is the red 20 on black. Perfect condition from 1869 the 20th Aberdeen Rifle Volunteers.

There are also document notes with pinned items. All items are good for age and not mothed. The colours are crisp. I am selling as it is not my era. I do collect Boer War pagri badges but most of this material pre-dates that conflict. There are at first count 110 bits of cloth.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ALBUM-FULL...item20cd1a871a

If it works, my wife has put the hyperlink to the original ebay listing. All best wishes, Ian
Old 14-11-12, 10:46 PM

After much debate I bought the Suffolk Yeomanry folders and don't regret it at all. Fifty years worth of research into one unit was worth every penny, especially the 1960s correspondence with pre-Great War LSH Veterans.
The seller knocked quite a bit off for buying all three and the postage was much cheaper for buying in bulk too,
I think everything he has up for sale includes the option to make an offer - it's well worth doing, especially now that he has recovered his original stake.
He has also sent me Bob's Suffolk Yeomanry correspondence file for free to keep it all together, along with a folder relating to the five-part article Bob and Dave Knight put together for the Military Historical Society a few years ago which I had been able to help them with.
My guess is that the odd photographs being sold separately were not in folders. There is no sign that anything is missing from the folders I bought.
Taff
Old 15-11-12, 07:17 AM

That is fantastic- great to see that part of the archive has gone where it will be really appreciated.

P.B.

Members welcome in my private Facebook group “The Kings Liverpool Regiment ( 1685-1958 )”
Old 15-11-12, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonofacqms View Post
I have always been saddened when I hear of a collection being broken up, I think that the Government should have bought Hugh King's collection for the nation, likewise this collection should have been preserved for future generations to research.

This is only an opinion, but I hope someone comes to the rescue with adequate space to house it all.

Rob
Well, the Denis Edwards "Trade" badge collection was bought by the NAM; beautifully mounted on A4 boards, in themes. It was the basis of the standard reference, co-authored by me.

NAM TOOK IT OFF THE BOARDS, PUT EACH ITEM IN A BAG, DID NO INDEX OR USEFUL CATALOGUING, AND PUT THE COLLECTION IN TWO LARGE DRAWERS, ALL JUMBLED UP.

After a great deal of negotiation I was allowed one hour to look at it, closely supervised. No photography allowed. Then it was rebagged and re-stowed, where I expect it sits in the dark today.

I offered to catalogue it free of charge except travelling expenses. It is still not catalogued.

I do hope I am doing NAM an injustice and that matters are now rectified.

So, when a big collection is broken up, at least the purchasers will value their purchase. The Nation does not value Denis's collection, nor my offer of a free catalogue.
Old 15-11-12, 10:51 PM

Sadly Grump I have to agree with you.
It seems that your book is currently far more use to the Nation than poor Denis's life's work.
One can only wonder why on earth the NAM bought such an important collection if it was simply going to turn it back into a couple of drawers full of assorted militaria.
From memory the only reason that the IWM still have the hugely important 1917 insignia survey is because it was rescued from the bins by Alan Jeffreys.
The big problem with museums is that they are subject to curatorial fads and fashions. In a desperate attempt to appear "relevant" and "modern" many have ditched real artefacts and substituted acres of meaningless wallpaper. In fact, most museums are no longer museums at all but simplistic exhibitions with few exhibits but all containing the same Princess Mary Gift Tin, the same Japanese Prayer Flag and the same stuff that is common to all - at the expense of much that is unique to the Regiment concerned.
If only they realised that real artefacts will always appeal to people. The fact that you can almost reach out and touch something that was picked up on a battlefield 200 years ago has a magic all of its own. We can all read words at home.
Babys and bathwater...
Old 15-11-12, 11:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chief_chum View Post
After much debate I bought the Suffolk Yeomanry folders and don't regret it at all. .
Taff
Taff,

based on our past communications I look forward to all that you contribute to this splendid forum (did I tell you I miss Oulton Broads!)

John
Old 15-11-12, 11:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chief_chum View Post
it was rescued from the bins by Alan Jeffreys.
Babys and bathwater...
hear, hear, Alan if you read this , please take my encouragement to keep going, some day we shall find a mutually convienient day to go through the Munster's returns.

John
Old 16-11-12, 12:22 AM

"That is fantastic- great to see that part of the archive has gone where it will be really appreciated."

"based on our past communications I look forward to all that you contribute to this splendid forum (did I tell you I miss Oulton Broads!)"

Thanks Peter and John. It had to be done!

Taff
Old 16-11-12, 07:58 AM

I agree with Taff`s comments on the current state of Museums ( more like Exhibition Halls with the odd "real" item ).

The new Liverpool Museum has a display of medals but they are not named which to me defeats the object of having them on display.

The military Museum at Shrewsbury has some chests of drawers ( rather like plan chests ) but with glass tops to the drawers and in them they have their medal collection all very nicely displayed and neatly labelled. This enables a lot of items to be made available to view in a very small space.

The same idea could be used for displaying insignia which is far better than having the bulk of a collection stored away out of sight and avilable to view providing you are prepared to go through hoops to make an appointment to see it.

P.B.

Members welcome in my private Facebook group “The Kings Liverpool Regiment ( 1685-1958 )”
Old 16-11-12, 01:50 PM

Default RJ Smith - Yeomanry Archives

I today received the album from these Archives entitled YEO GEN: 1914 & POST 1921 comprising c 74 pages in a ring binder. I was hoping that this album would contain material to inform my ongoing series of the Yeomanry in the Second World War in Militaria magazine, but to my chagrin this is not the case. There is however a considerable amount of information covering the period prior to and after that conflict.
Reference to eBay - number is 160920672536 - will give a good idea of the contents.
In order to free up space whilst keeping this album intact I should like to move it on. If anyone is interested in making me an offer, please PM me. It should be noted that the postage charge was £9.76 for special delivery (which wasn't necessary). Snail mail will clearly be less expensive.
Thanks. Mike

Last edited by Mike Jackson; 16-11-12 at 01:50 PM. Reason: Typo
Old 20-11-12, 12:35 PM

Thanks to Taff I made a "cheeky" offer on Bobs Smith`s archive Binder named " Volunteers" on Ebay. The offer was accepted and the binder arrived a short time ago.

There is a lot more in the binder than was shown on the E bay advert. This includes a number of rubbings of Rifle Volunteer and other insignia. A page of particular interest to me is a rubbing page headed "15th Lancashire R.V. Feby 1873 " and shown are a "Chaco" plate and a Forage Cap badge in embroidered silver. Neither of the badges were previously known to me.

A few of the other items include:

What appears to be an original water colour of the 2nd V.B. Royal Fusiliers in Field Day Order 1890.

There is a list of the Suffolk Volunteers 1859- 1900 ( Taff I am sure you will have this information already )

There are various other items that I have not had the opportunity to look at closely yet and more rubbings including some Northumberland R.V. badges.

Very pleased to have obtained the binder.

P.B.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg img005.jpg (40.7 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg img004.jpg (55.8 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg img003.jpg (79.8 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg img002.jpg (94.2 KB, 19 views)

Last edited by Peter Brydon; 20-11-12 at 12:59 PM.
Old 20-11-12, 07:09 PM

Well done Peter.

You beat me to it, I enquired with the seller, initially he thought he still had the binder but after I told him I couldn't find the listing, he realised it had been sold.............I had an inkling it may have been you, having read an earlier post of yours in this thread.

A fine purchase you have made, hope you enjoy the contents and no doubt it will help with your research and enhances your knowledge.

Regards
Brian