British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Cavalry, Yeomanry, Tank/RAC Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 22-10-12, 04:18 PM

Default The R.J. Smith Archives

Sad to see that the archives on the Yeomanry Regiments that Bob Smith built up over many years are now being sold individualy on E bay.

What a shame that they could not have found their way to the National Army Museum to have been available to future generations of researchers.

P.B.

Members welcome in my private Facebook group “The Kings Liverpool Regiment ( 1685-1958 )”
Old 22-10-12, 04:37 PM

I've always said that, especially looking at mine and wondering what will happen to it when I'm gone. Would you have a link to one P.B.

Simon.
Old 22-10-12, 04:52 PM

Simon,

Here is one:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ALBUM-FULL...item2576cdaa25

Peter

Members welcome in my private Facebook group “The Kings Liverpool Regiment ( 1685-1958 )”
Old 22-10-12, 05:13 PM

Cool Collections

Peter,

I always find it sad when any collection is broken up, military or otherwise, when I think of the hours that are taken up finding and researching the items it does not bear thinking about.

Back in the 1970's I went to London to see the Wallace collection of items, absolutely stunning, but sold off at a later date, the world is worse off, but someone was better off financially . . !

Rob
Old 22-10-12, 05:20 PM

It is a shame to see, but as one tree die's it give nutrition to other saplings.

Simon.
Old 22-10-12, 05:25 PM

Rob,

I may be wrong but I think the vendor may have an inflated idea of the ( intrinsic ) value of the individual binders that make up the archive.

To a researcher the whole archive would be priceless, the danger is another dealer buying the binders and selling the items within them individually to make a futher profit.

Sadly in todays world everything comes down to £`s

Peter

Old 22-10-12, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8thfoot View Post
Sad to see that the archives on the Yeomanry Regiments that Bob Smith built up over many years are now being sold individualy on E bay.

What a shame that they could not have found their way to the National Army Museum to have been available to future generations of researchers.

P.B.
Agreed - very sad and although I didn't know him personally, my old mate Bob Marrion was the illustrator for his books.

It is indeed a sad occassion when a dedicated military researcher passes-on and his lifes work is either split up or lost, as happend to Ed Forrests massive work on Officers who served with the Northumberland Fusiliers from the formation of the regiment.

However it's a sad fact of life, that those of us who do dedicate our lives to such work are in the minority and possibly regarded as a little 'odd'. I haven't probably got the biggest NF badge collection going, but my archive/photographic/book collection is massive, but possibly of no value in the eye's of auctioneers or indeed collectors.

My last fourteen years have been dedicated to formulating a database of all those who served with the NF during the Great War and todate I have traced about 90,000 of those men. Again though - it has no value to auctioneers or collectors, but fortunately for me and the growing need for "family history" I've managed to come to an arrangement with a Family History organisation, who are prepared to licence it from me, so it will survive.

Who knows what will happen to the rest??? The badges and uniforms will be gone in a crack, but as for the archive - well I won't be here to find out.

Last edited by Graham Stewart; 23-10-12 at 05:40 AM.
Old 22-10-12, 06:51 PM

[QUOTE=Graham Stewart;186935]

My last fourteen years have been dedicated to formulating an database of all those who served with the NF during the Great War and to date I have traced about 90,000 of those men.

WOW.

Graham.

Dedication of the first order and an absolute credit to military historians and military research alike. Commendable.

I do sadly agree with the sentiments; where are the young collectors?
I suspect that finance plays a large part, but surely that can't be the sole reason. Apathy, technology, computers and not wanting to appear nerdish to friends may also contribute.

Hopefully David Cameron's plan to chuck millions of pounds into a year long celebration/remembrance of WW1 in 2014, may stir a few interests and point others in the right direction.

And if that works, Graham, I'm sure that your Magnum opus will not disappear into oblivion.

Regards
Brian
Old 22-10-12, 07:10 PM

[quote=Fatherofthree;186945]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham Stewart View Post

My last fourteen years have been dedicated to formulating an database of all those who served with the NF during the Great War and to date I have traced about 90,000 of those men.

WOW.

Graham.

Dedication of the first order and an absolute credit to military historians and military research alike. Commendable.

I do sadly agree with the sentiments; where are the young collectors?
I suspect that finance plays a large part, but surely that can't be the sole reason. Apathy, technology, computers and not wanting to appear nerdish to friends may also contribute.

Hopefully David Cameron's plan to chuck millions of pounds into a year long celebration/remembrance of WW1 in 2014, may stir a few interests and point others in the right direction.

And if that works, Graham, I'm sure that your Magnum opus will not disappear into oblivion.

Regards
Brian
Well said Brian and to Graham for the dedication.

I'd love to own one of these albums but at that price it's out of the question. I'm sure I've seen some of the Sharpshooters photos on the museum website though.
Old 22-10-12, 07:38 PM

Brian,

The development and education of young people is something I am passionate about. There are young collectors out there but I do think it is up to the likes of us to give them all the encouragement we can.

Last weekend, I took 60 young army cadets to Eden Camp military museum in North Yorkshire. It just so happened that the Palestine Veterans Association were holding a remembrance parade and I stood and watched as 60 youngsters stood to attention as the last post was being played.

Very moving and I have no concerns whatsoever that many young people are being pointed in the right direction.

I’ve mentioned my son on here a few times (he is 23 in 2 days time and will be having his birthday in a hot and dusty place) and he has managed to take what was a reasonable badge collection of a County infantry regiment and turn it into a cracking collection way beyond my expectations.

Together, we have visited WW1 and WW2 battlefields, have been to tons of museums, militaria fairs and antique markets searching for Y&L badges. He even has me searching the midden of a WW1 camp looking for artefacts!

He has definitely got the bug and one day, all of the photos, bits of shiny metal, written notes and research will all be his (rather than ours). I trust him to do what he thinks is right with it when the time comes but if I know him, it will all end up in the Y&L museum. I am lucky and fairly sure that all the knowledge I have gained will be passed on so that others can use or enjoy it.

Sorry for hijacking the thread a little Peter but I do feel Brian asked a valid question about where the young collectors are (and by implication who will make use of such magnificent works by the likes of Mr Smith or Mr Stewart).

Well I think they are there, perhaps sometimes we just don’t know it.

Ivan
Old 22-10-12, 08:55 PM

Ivan.

Firstly I wish a happy bithday to your son; as I added to one of your threads a couple of weeks ago, my future son in law is also in a hot and dusty place; he comes home on the 1st Novemeber.

They are different Military units, but I would like to think that they both might share in a slice of birthday cake.

I've had a few drinks again, War Horse is on the box and I've been thinking:

Some while ago there was a thread on here asking what we would do if we won the lottery.

I stated that I would buy the Essex and Middlesex Regimental Museums, and probably, (selfishly), get people to see what I had.

I seem to recall that somebody else said that they would take Military Histoty into schools, or something similar.

Now, on reflection, I would do both; I would still buy both the museums procure what I could and make it a facet of compulsory education...... even if it meant paying for schools to send coach loads of kids to attend, see, read and be lectured to in a way they appreciated and leave with an understanding.

I hope you continue to educate in a way that probably only you can and who knows, one day at least one of them will take their interest a lot further.

Keep it up mate.

And just in case anybody has a moan or any concerns about this thread not being about badges, Ivan, a great Avatar, and if that's not enough, come and discuss it with me in Hertfordshire.

Regards
Brian
Old 22-10-12, 09:01 PM

Father of Three for Prime Minister!!!!!
Old 22-10-12, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatherofthree View Post

I've had a few drinks again, War Horse is on the box and I've been thinking:
And just in case anybody has a moan or any concerns about this thread not being about badges, Ivan, a great Avatar, and if that's not enough, come and discuss it with me in Hertfordshire.

Regards
Brian
LoL at the sherry again Brian, heres a badge and a cracker it is too, great thread by the way.
All the best
Malc

Imagination is more important than knowledge. For while knowledge defines all we currently know and understand, imagination points to all we might yet discover.
Old 22-10-12, 10:09 PM

Hi Malcolm.

It is indeed.........now that's for both........an excellent badge and an excellent thread.

Stopped drinking now.......well almost.

But not to detract fom Peter's thread, (apologies Peter), it would be marvellous if an institute with any military interest could raise the capital to make the seller of the albums an offer.

I don't envisgae that happening though.

However, this is another thing that a lottery winner could rescue from being dismantled and sent into obscurity.

Alas, I suspect it won't be.

Regards
Brian
Old 23-10-12, 07:20 AM

Link to them all

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/weytreasur...p2047675.l2562

Wanted Poppy Pins