British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Formation Signs and Patches

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 24-10-09, 08:53 AM
Former Member

Default Chindits - Chinte?

Guys,
I'm fairly sure that this is a good one, 70mm across, very well made, signs of genuine age and in good but very slightly dirty! Could anyone please confirm it's chances of being genuine and also a rough value!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CIMG0396.jpg (75.8 KB, 94 views)
File Type: jpg CIMG0393.jpg (91.2 KB, 75 views)
Old 24-10-09, 09:48 AM

Hi Andy, found this, might interest you ???
Cheers
Jo
http://www.chindits.info/Badges/Badges.html

“There are things we know that we know,” “There are known unknowns. That is to say there are things that we now know we don't know. But there are also unknown unknowns. There are things we do not know we don't know.”
Donald Rumsfeld, before the Iraqi Invasion,2003.

Age is something that doesn't matter, unless you are a cheese.
Old 24-10-09, 09:58 AM
Former Member

Thanks Jo,
I'm sure this one is OK, just need a rough value now, cloth is not my area so I don't want to give it away, these are quite collectable, I do believe?

Andy
Old 24-10-09, 10:12 AM

Hi Andy, i've 3 orginal and a few not so's. price wise i've paid between £70 (Bosleys postal) & £90 (Rod at Minden Militaria). i've seen them sell on ebay around the £50ish. hope this helps and if you want to move it on you know where i am. Regards
Old 29-10-09, 12:13 PM

Your badge is fine that style of covered `bumpy` back is quite typical of this pattern of chindit badge. Can you detect any traces of a white chalky dust under the backing cloth ?
The chindit formation sign does turn up often in very good or unissued condition due to the fact that many of them were not worn and brought back as keep sakes . The newness just been made look can be a bit off putting at first glance and tempt collectors into thinking its a fake
Aguments amongst collectors still rage over the issue were the badges worn on the last chindit operation or the badge was instituted after and worn only on the journey home to the UK .
My own opinion based on no fact or proof at all is I will say yes i do think they were worn on operations but in very limited cases .

In Jessie shaws book he states that on the troop ship home in 1945 there was a soldier who had been a pre war tailor and made up for a few pennies cigs etc ` all manner ` of chindit patches and titles infact the photo of sgt Shaw shows him wearing a chindit cloth title on VERY LIGHT coloured white /cream cloth backing ?

( it is strongly suggested - but i have no proof as yet that the design was around and used on tac - hut signs , official note paper etc a good while before the badges were thought up or manufactured )

Chindit formation signs can differ a hell of a lot in construction , i have seen examples woven on felt , blue canvas cloth with newspaper backing cloths wire bullion ,there is a smaller half size wire bullion example that is described by some as officers pattern but im tempted to say its an all ranks bush hat badge ( but please correct me )
there is even a metal circular example with the design PAINTED on , the circle metal disc has been punctured in four places around the edge to allow stitching direct to the uniform , this field made example could suggest the badges were infact worn on operations in limited numbers but is no way in any shape proof of the fact.

Again there is a body of thought that the printed issue example was only worn in the UK and not worn or manufactured in the Far east ? would welcome any constructive comments on this badge and very keen to see a period photo of a chindit badge worn on active service AND a photo of a printed chindit sign worn outside the UK .
Best wishes ,NEMO.

Last edited by NEMO; 29-10-09 at 12:44 PM.
Old 29-10-09, 01:20 PM

Hi NEMO, I have nothing solid to add to the posts but, there's a photograph of a soldier wearing this patch in Brian L.Davis' book "British Army Uniforms and Insignia of World War Two" on page 64 of L.Cpl. Zavier taking part in the Victory Parade in London.

Cheers
Jo

“There are things we know that we know,” “There are known unknowns. That is to say there are things that we now know we don't know. But there are also unknown unknowns. There are things we do not know we don't know.”
Donald Rumsfeld, before the Iraqi Invasion,2003.

Age is something that doesn't matter, unless you are a cheese.
Old 31-10-09, 05:23 PM

Hi,
I had this same badge in my hands a few months back, bought off ebay from "K". I returned it for refund, I did not like the damage on the back, it looks as thought someone has rubbed the back of it on a brick to give it some "age" - didn't make sence - but this is my opinion.
Old 31-10-09, 05:56 PM

On Construction I have a few, and the two main types I have are as shown above, great, almost too-good condition.... and my favourite a hand sewn example sewn around a piece of buckram... lovely badge all round...

Tom
Old 31-10-09, 06:28 PM

Now in Teds collection??
Old 02-11-09, 04:35 PM

I've had a good look at the back of the badge and i dont think its been rubbed by a brick (i know its only a expression, bud) it seems where the backing is raised it has starting to crack and peel away! (i admit there is a few areas which have rubbing)! theres another piece apart to fall off and its only been in my day sack! in my opinion also badge with this type of backing can have the look of abrasion easily, i have a few new ones and with grubby hands etc.
Old 02-11-09, 11:14 PM

HI there , hello Arte , I do understand your comments about the back been messed with to age it but i am quite happy this is an original period badge , i have owned several and this bumpy style is quite a common factor ,regards , Nemo.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CHINDIP.jpg (21.0 KB, 23 views)
Old 04-11-09, 05:22 PM

Here are some examples from my collection in both the embroidered style and the bullion thread style.
Garth
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC08588.JPG (44.4 KB, 49 views)
File Type: jpg DSC08589.JPG (43.0 KB, 41 views)
File Type: jpg DSC08595.JPG (40.4 KB, 34 views)
File Type: jpg DSC08590.JPG (42.6 KB, 28 views)
File Type: jpg DSC08591.JPG (39.9 KB, 25 views)
File Type: jpg DSC08592.JPG (42.9 KB, 26 views)
Old 04-11-09, 05:24 PM

A few more:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC08593.JPG (74.3 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg DSC08594.JPG (70.0 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg DSC08596.JPG (77.5 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg DSC08597.JPG (86.0 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg DSC08598.JPG (67.6 KB, 24 views)
File Type: jpg DSC08599.JPG (56.8 KB, 20 views)
Old 05-11-09, 03:55 AM

http://www.britishbadgeforum.com/for...hp?albumid=269

mine...
Old 05-11-09, 05:36 PM

Hello Gents,

Some really lovely patches there, envious doesn’t really cut it. These certainly make my single example seem rather modest, although I mustn’t complain as I have photo, medals, silk map, service doc’s etc, etc, that all came from the family along with this patch.

Really lovely to see so many great examples, many thanks for sharing.

Regards, Roy.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Chindit 01 TAT.jpg (63.4 KB, 20 views)