British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Canadian Military Insignia > Photographs of Canadian Servicemen and Women Wearing Insignia

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 12-06-09, 11:59 PM

Default Royal Newfoundland Regt.

A photograph of Pte. Bernard Alexander,a Mi'kmaq, wearing a Royal Newfoundland Regt. badge (Mazeas M-178). Mazeas writes that the badge should be bronze but,this one looks like it's brass.
Jo
http://www.jasenbenwah.ca/img/benard_alexander.jpg

“There are things we know that we know,” “There are known unknowns. That is to say there are things that we now know we don't know. But there are also unknown unknowns. There are things we do not know we don't know.”
Donald Rumsfeld, before the Iraqi Invasion,2003.

Age is something that doesn't matter, unless you are a cheese.
Old 13-06-09, 12:47 AM
Member 2008-2010 Rest in Peace

Looking at mine here Jo I would have to say it's bronze although there is not much copper in it. but I think it is a little to pinky-orange to be brass. That was a home defence unit Jo.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 001.jpg (40.6 KB, 35 views)
Old 13-06-09, 01:47 AM

Well Ray,that's one thing I would like to cleared a bit.When in the RA they wore the RA badge but, did they wear that badge during 2ndWW as you say a Home Defence unit or some other badge else.Mazeas says it's pre-1949. Can someone be more specific.
Jo

“There are things we know that we know,” “There are known unknowns. That is to say there are things that we now know we don't know. But there are also unknown unknowns. There are things we do not know we don't know.”

Old 13-06-09, 03:07 AM

The Newfoundland Regiment of WW2 that wore the above badge did not go overseas & therefore had no connection to those units of the RA, nor did they have any connection with the Royal Regiment of WW1 & have no connection with the Royal Newfoundland Regiment of today. This is because during peacetime the Military was abolished in Newfoundland thus the service was broken, In 1939 a volunteer force was recruited in Newfoundland divided into two components called the Newfoundland Militia & the Newfoundland Auxiliary Militia or Home Guard, In 43 the active force was CALLED THE NEWFOUNDLAND REGIMENT & THE HOME GUARD THE NEWFOUNDLAND MILITIA.
They were a training depot for the RA units (that was the only connection) They did guard duty in Newfoundland as well as manning a Costal battery on Bell Island. So now Jo you should be really confused, but to answer your question ,yes they did wear that badge during WW2. Ray
Old 13-06-09, 03:36 AM

I would definitely describe mine as brass, not bronze (the badge is pictured in the CanBadge forum project).
Old 13-06-09, 12:57 PM

Thanks a million Ray for a clear and to the point explanation.Also,thanks David for pointing to me the NFLD badge,since I don't go there too often....brings back too many memories.....
Jo

Old 13-06-09, 01:07 PM

Well David after seeing your picture I would say mine is much the same,are you looking at the real thing or the picture? When I was thinking of brass I was seeing the yellow ones we see so much of today. Looked at it again this morning & still got my doubts as to it being brass. But certainly not as coppery as my bronze Royal NFLD Regt or 1st NFLD REGT whichever you prefer. Ray
Old 13-06-09, 05:46 PM

Sort of a 'one man's bronze is another man's brass' maybe? When I think of bronze, I think of a blackish-brown metal (the patination on cast bronze sculpture), or a dark yellow-red-brown metal like phosphor bronze. Thinking of brass, I think of either bright brass (say a N.B. Rangers badge) or 'old brass' like a Calgary Highlanders badge. Consequently, if someone describes a badge as bronze, I visualize something like the cast 1st APCR officer's badge, or a Sask. Border Regiment or Winnipeg L.I. badge.

Looking on the web, I see there is (to me) little apparent visual difference in pix of machined items made of bronze vs. brass, and maybe what I had assumed were brass thingies (e.g. electric motor bushings) are really bronze thingies, and not brass at all. I'll chalk this all up to learning something new every day.

All the asides aside , in hand my Nfld. badge looks the same as my 'brass' Calgary Highlanders badges and non-"TANKS" cast Argyll L.I. badge, and is more yellow than anything I formerly would have called bronze.
Old 13-06-09, 09:30 PM

Yes I do too, I think of bronze as brown, but that depends how much copper content it has. any amount of copper makes it brass or bronze, take the propeller of a marine engine I have never seen one that looks bronze in my opinion , but they are, just not so much copper content. Ray

Last edited by boots and saddles; 17-06-09 at 09:35 PM.
Old 14-06-09, 02:30 AM

Umm, both bronze and brass are primarily copper, n'est? Bronze is copper and tin, brass is copper and zinc, in varying percentages & with some other metals on occasion, but 60%-95% copper. See copper alloys.

After all the Googling, I'm beginning to think 'bronze' vs. 'brass' with regards to the NFLD. badge may be a moot point, per this quote from Wikipedia (my italics): "Brass is any alloy of copper and zinc; the proportions of zinc and copper can be varied to create a range of brasses with varying properties.[1] In comparison, bronze is principally an alloy of copper and tin.[2] Despite this distinction, some types of brasses are called bronzes."
Old 17-06-09, 09:32 PM

And that is why you see so many different brass & bronze badges, So now we can ask what is brass or what is bronze because you can't tell by looking at the badge if the additive metal was zinc or tin. We usually say a badge is brass if it is yellowish or bronze if it is copperish. But all we are seeing is the copper or the lack of it.
Old 08-06-16, 08:13 PM

Hi Guys
Interesting thread, picked this badge up here in the U.K. It's definitely brass and appears to have the makers name of "scully ltd " beside one of the lugs.
Any info on whether it's the real deal or not would be appreciated.
Many Thanks in advance.
Colin
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 101_1715.jpg (26.4 KB, 22 views)
File Type: jpg 101_1716.jpg (29.4 KB, 22 views)