British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Other Commonwealth Military Insignia > New Zealand Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 24-10-17, 08:16 PM

Default New Zealand Pipers in WW1

Hello All,
The latest "NZ Listener" magazine has a picture of the New Zealand Army Pipe Band.
What badges would they have worn?
Cheers, Tinto
Attached Images
File Type: jpg WW1 NZ Pipe Band.jpg (73.6 KB, 72 views)
File Type: jpg WW1NZ-Pipers-Victory-March-Lon.jpg (78.5 KB, 47 views)
Old 24-10-17, 09:41 PM

Don't really know the answer, but maybe this one?

Phil.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 100_2498 (2).jpg (51.7 KB, 52 views)
Old 24-10-17, 09:53 PM

Hi Phil,
Thanks for your suggestion. There is a certain resemblance in shape to those worn in the picture.
Interestingly, I have the badge you have shown, solid, with 2 long screw posts, presumably a belt badge.
Cheers, Tinto
Old 28-10-17, 12:30 AM

Hi Tinto,
I too would be interested in knowing what badges are being worn, however, I doubt they are wearing Caledonian Pipe Band badges.

Interestingly during the 1911 to 1920 period there were several New Zealand military pipe bands including one aboard HMS New Zealand.

The NZEF Main Body Pipe band photo below was taken in September 1914. The instruments and equipment for the band was presented by the three Scottish societies of Dunedin—the Caledonian Society, Gaelic Society, Burns Club. The uniforms they are wearing are standard NZ Territorial uniforms.

I also have photos of the NZEF Pipe Band taken in 1917 and 1918, again they are wearing standard territorial uniforms but with lemon squeezer hats.
Your two photos appear to have been taken in 1919, and show proper full Scottish uniforms including tunics and glengarry are being worm.
Old 28-10-17, 12:54 AM

Hi Brent,
Interesting picture you have posted, thanks for sharing. What regiment were these men in?
It seems that the bandsmen in the 1919 pictures in the first post are wearing the collar badges of the 14th (South Otago) Regiment.
Regards, John
Old 28-10-17, 01:29 AM

John, difficult to tell what the badges are, but the photo is from an Otago newspaper, so I am leaning that some of the badges are 10th Otago.

The following picture is from Puks thread. It shows the Auckland Regiment Pipe Band-
http://www.britishbadgeforum.com/for...t=35971&page=2

Old 28-10-17, 04:24 AM

Hi Brent,
Thanks for the picture and link.
Here is another photo of the Auckland Regiment Pipe Band.
John
Attached Images
File Type: jpg AuckRegPipeBand.jpg (84.2 KB, 18 views)
Old 28-10-17, 05:38 AM

John I think I have cracked the badge mystery.
When I put all my WW1 Pipe Band photos in a date order I'm starting to see a clear evolution of wartime NZ Scottish uniforms.

The 1914 NZEF Pipe Band, the Auckland Pipe Band and the 1919 "New Zealand" Pipe Band are all using the instruments and equipment that was donated by the three Scottish societies of Dunedin.

The following photo was taken in 1918 by Thomas Frederick Scales, it shows a pipe band standing at attention outside the YMCA building in the New Zealand training camp at Sling.
The exceptionally tall Pipe Major is undoubtedly the same Pipe Major from the 1919 photos.

The 1919 New Zealand Pipe Band is undoubtedly the 14th South Otago Regiment Pipe Band, and the hat badge being worn by them is that of the 14th South Otago Regiment.

Old 28-10-17, 05:53 AM

A close up pic of the Auckland Pipe Bands badges.
Interestingly the Aucklanders kilts were donated by the Caledonian Societies of NZ.

Old 28-10-17, 06:01 AM

Hi Brent,
Thanks for the pictures and confirmation that the 1919 New Zealand Army Pipe Band were 14th (South Otago) Regiment men.
Very interesting to see the progression of the uniforms worn.
Cheers, John
Old 28-10-17, 06:07 AM

14th (South Otago) Regiment Pipe Band parade past King George V and Queen Mary outside Buckingham Palace on 3rd May 1919.

Old 01-11-17, 07:47 PM

The companion photo of the other one in my collection ,shows the three drummers that are in the group. All are wearing 16th Waikato company badges. Unfortunately these guys are not identified .The chap on the left appears to be a RSM

(Unknown warriors of the NZEF face book page)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Drummers pipe band.jpg (60.3 KB, 23 views)
Old 03-11-17, 08:39 PM

Thanks Iain and Brent, for the pictures.

To muddy the waters, I have come across this picture in "Chronicles of the NZEF", Vol.III, No.30, dated 31 Oct 1917.

I cannot fit the caption names to the photo, there seems to be some kind of mismatch here and the band is obviously a brass band, not a pipe band.

However, the names may be useful if a matching photo turns up.
Regards,
John
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SlingBand.jpg (78.0 KB, 17 views)
Old 03-11-17, 09:19 PM

Shame it didn't match my other two unidentified brass band photo's .Thanks for showing John
Attached Images
File Type: jpg NZ army band.jpg (61.4 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg 3rd Auckland company band.jpg (81.9 KB, 7 views)
Old 03-11-17, 11:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinto View Post
Thanks Iain and Brent, for the pictures.

To muddy the waters, I have come across this picture in "Chronicles of the NZEF", Vol.III, No.30, dated 31 Oct 1917.

I cannot fit the caption names to the photo, there seems to be some kind of mismatch here and the band is obviously a brass band, not a pipe band.

However, the names may be useful if a matching photo turns up.
Regards,
John
John you right the picture in the "Chronicles of the NZEF" is indeed a “brass band, not a pipe band.”

Fortunately as mentioned in Post #4, I have a picture that was published in the Otago Witness on the 2nd January 1918, suggesting the photo would have been taken circa late 1917, so this one definitely shows the correct Sept/Oct 1917 Sling Camp Pipe band.

The photo I suspect is an early shot of the Otago pipe band prior to receiving their Scottish uniforms, and is helpful for identifying band members in the photo in Post #8, but not helpful for identifying Puks Aucklanders.

I have managed to identify the NZEF Main Body Pipe band in Post #4, the following photo was published in the Auckland Weekly News on the 10th June 1915.
It appears that Otago Regiment had a Pipe Band from the beginning to the end of the war.

The Otago Pipe Bands instruments became the property of the NZ Defence Department after the war and were kept so that Otago would always have a Regimental Pipe Band.

Last edited by atillathenunns; 03-11-17 at 11:31 PM.