British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Canadian Military Insignia > Cavalry and Armoured Units

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 15-03-14, 05:04 PM

Hi Bill, had another look at my Canadian and noticed that the dot on the turret on my Canadian tank badges are almost square compared to British made ones. Also, coming back to the greener shade of Canadian manufactured cloth badges in general, all my Canadian slip-on titles are the same green as are specific Canadian qualification badges and of course Canadian made uniforms. Maybe we are talking at crossed purposes, I'm referring to Canadian made badges not badges worn by Canadians. Whilst they were over here they would have worn British made items as much or more than Canadian items. I would like to hear your views, Mike
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Jeffes 020.jpg (90.6 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg Jeffes 021.jpg (77.7 KB, 15 views)
Old 15-03-14, 06:23 PM
Super Moderator

Hi Mike, No really simple answer to your question. The Canadian army insisted on Cdn battledress being issued, and it was held in RCOC depots in the UK for issue to Cdn units. The only time Canadians were in the British supply system was in Italy, but if I understand the supply situation, 1 Cdn Corps still had inventories of Cdn bd. Cloth badges are a completely different story. There were badges made in Canada and worn overseas, but in the same unit there could also be Brit made badges. The tank badge was taken out of wear circa late 1943, I think after the Canadian Tank Brigades were redesignated Canadian Armoured Brigade. The Canadian army had to purchase a lot of embroidered insignia in the UK for a number of reasons, but a lot was also imported from Canada up until the switch to printed insignia in late 1942. Even then some insignia was still brought over.
Question re your images. By the "greener" shade, are you referring to the worsted material or the backing cotton? A second question, did the British army make the tank badge in khaki drill?
Old 15-03-14, 08:51 PM

Hi Bill, I meant the worsted material though a lot of Canadian insignia appear to have the green backing as well. The British didn't have a twill tank badge to the best of my knowledge, they used the brass arm badge, thanks for reply, Mike
Old 15-03-14, 09:09 PM
Super Moderator

Thanks Mike.
Old 04-04-14, 03:17 PM

A little off topic, but here is a picture of the Guidon Party from 12 RBC, c2011. Note the tank badge on the MCpl on the left.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 12 RBC Guidon party.jpg (74.5 KB, 45 views)

Last edited by ddaydodger; 22-03-15 at 05:52 PM. Reason: Hacked account
Old 04-04-14, 04:05 PM
Super Moderator

Thanks Bruce. Great image. That is the reg force 12é RBC? It seems that whatever is old is new again. Just heard that the Algonquins officers and snr nco's are to wear CFSC's for special occasions.
Old 05-04-14, 11:07 AM

Hi Bruce, is the tank badge white with a black edge? and how long have they been wearing it? thanks in advance, Mike
Old 06-04-14, 12:03 AM

Sorry, I can't be more help with the photo. I was doing some other research when I came across it online.
Old 06-04-14, 12:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill A View Post
Thanks Bruce. Great image. That is the reg force 12é RBC? It seems that whatever is old is new again. Just heard that the Algonquins officers and snr nco's are to wear CFSC's for special occasions.
CFSC's ? And is that an official change? Many regiments have a habit of making changes without NDHQ approval.
Old 06-04-14, 11:47 AM
Super Moderator

Not official as in DND authorized but private purchase by snr Co's ND officers. They have also resumed the practice of wearing a badge backing. Red coloured silhouette behind the badge.
Old 12-04-14, 01:14 PM
guest7789

Wow! glad to see the disscussion is still rolling weeks after I started the thread. Thanks everyone this has been a wealth of knowledge on the Tank badge.