British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Canadian Military Insignia > Cavalry and Armoured Units

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 13-11-12, 01:50 AM

Default Gaunt Fort Garry Horse Badge - Pics Please

Hi all,

I'm looking for some assistance with a particular FGH badge. I'm wondering if someone has the following in their possession. An FGH "officer's" cap badge made by Gaunt. Particularly with the gilt leaf and the "P" for the silver plated gate/scroll. I'm working on a project to catalogue the different variants and have heard of such a variant but have not seen one as of yet to confirm its existence. I have a pair of collars and can only assume that a cap badge exists as well.

Many thanks in advance for any help or images anyone can provide.

Thanks,
Greg
Old 13-11-12, 06:34 PM

I have one - flat reverse and lugs marked JR Gaunt. No P.

Phil

Quod gratis asseritur, gratis negatur

Hanlon's razor: Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.
Old 13-11-12, 07:47 PM

Hi Phil,

Thanks for the response. I know the type you are describing. These seem to be "common" (common being subjective as they are still tougher to find). The one I am after finding (and truth be told I'm not 100% sure it exists) is similar to the one you describe except that it is marked with a large "P" to denote the silver plating of the gate/scroll. It may or may not actually be marked to Gaunt on the reverse. As mentioned I have a pair of collar badges with the gilt leaf and the plated gate. As the collars exist I would assume that the cap badge does as well but have never actually seen one. I have seen a bronzed leaf version with the "P" but never a gilt leaf version. I would like to establish if such a variant truly does exist. As mentioned above I am cataloging all the variants of the FGH badges and would like to be as thorough as possible.

Thanks again.

Cheers,
Greg
Old 13-11-12, 08:13 PM

Default It exists.

Took me a few minutes but I found the previous thread that has a photo.

Nice badge, would like to acquire one myself.
Oops, I now see you were looking for a Gilt version, with the "P" (not bronze). Bottom of thread shows a gilt version I think, MM "Gaunt London", but no "P".

Last edited by WJ Miller; 13-11-12 at 08:17 PM. Reason: corrected mistake.
Old 14-11-12, 02:07 AM

Hi Bill,

Thanks for digging up that thread for me. I had spotted it myself during my search but it's always great to have another set of eyes double check. Your effort is much appreciated.

Here is one of the collars I mentioned. It is on a service dress tunic with 100% wartime provenance. As you can clearly see it is gilt and has the plated overlay. Clearly marked with a "P". I have the service dress cap from the estate as well but sadly the badge was missing when I obtained it.

The hunt continues.

Cheers,
Greg
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CollarF.jpg (98.1 KB, 60 views)
File Type: jpg CollarR.jpg (72.4 KB, 65 views)
Old 14-11-12, 02:30 AM

Hi Greg, my version is frosted gilt with silver overlay, flat-backed, without any marks. The version you are looking for does not appear appear in Brookers Vol. 2 although he has a number for it: 151-11-268. Chris gives an estimated price which I believe means it hasn't shown up in any auctions so it may be an indicator of rarity.

Cheers,

Greg

Last edited by GregN; 15-11-12 at 06:38 AM.
Old 14-11-12, 02:41 PM

Hi Greg,

Thanks for taking the time to respond. I would very much like to see your badge if at all possible. I could compare it to known Gaunt dies. That would at least give me a idea that it may exist.

As I have only had a cursory glance at Mr. Brooker's book I can't comment too much on it. I had a quick glance but did not notice this particular entry.

Thanks again.

Cheers,
Greg
Old 14-11-12, 03:18 PM
Super Moderator

Hello Greg, Are you also doing cloth for the Ft. Garry's?
Old 14-11-12, 03:40 PM

Hi Bill,

Yes I am. It will be a full catalog of badges and insignia used by the FGH. From 1912 - present. It will include as many period photos of the actual items in wear as I can scrounge.

I have a huge database of photos I have taken from my personal collection as well as the archives at the FGH museum. I have tapped a couple of local collectors as well and will make use of their collections as time permits.

The hardest part to date has been sorting through all the variants. For example the pre-14 "gate" badges. I personally own close to two dozen and no two are exactly alike! Identifying the makers through die characteristics is proving to be a challenge as well. The cloth aspect has been quite simple to date by comparison.

Cheers,
Greg
Old 14-11-12, 04:45 PM
Super Moderator

If you need some assistance with the cloth, let me know.
Old 14-11-12, 05:26 PM

Hi Greg, attached are my very small collection of Fort Gary Horse officers badges. I don't have many, just a few. I believe that FG2 is mid-WW2, FG3 is late-WW2 and FG4 is circa 1995-2000.

Regards,

Greg
Attached Images
File Type: jpg fg2a.jpg (78.9 KB, 35 views)
File Type: jpg fg2b.jpg (71.0 KB, 36 views)
File Type: jpg fg3a.jpg (81.1 KB, 40 views)
File Type: jpg fg3b.jpg (58.4 KB, 35 views)
File Type: jpg FG4a.jpg (87.5 KB, 34 views)
File Type: jpg fg4b.jpg (84.9 KB, 33 views)
Old 03-12-12, 01:47 PM

Hi All,

Greg. Thanks for adding the photos. Much appreciated.

Went to the FGH museum last week (as I do every week) and had a cursory tear through the collection but alas no such animal in the collection. I'm beginning to think that I may be chasing a ghost. Alas the hunt continues.

Thanks again to all who posted. It is much appreciated. I hold out hope that someone may still have one buried in their collection that they may want to share photos of.

Cheers,
Greg
Old 06-12-12, 01:06 PM

Greg: I came across this one (2nd badge down) on the Up the Royals site while mumbling about on the web. No 'P', but Gaunt marked and not flat backed. Don't know if it's one you are familiar with or not, so I thought I'd link it anyway.
Old 06-12-12, 02:02 PM
Super Moderator

Greg, Have you documented the badge or device used for the armbadge of the Fort Garry's? Specifically Second World War?
Old 06-12-12, 04:47 PM

David,

Thanks for the link. I had spotted that one already. Sadly still not the one I am after. I'm afraid that it may never have existed. I hold out hope though.

Cheers,
Greg